“Fabulous holiday thanks to the Staff who looked after us”

SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort
Ranked #8 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Newcastle
“Fabulous holiday thanks to the Staff who looked after us”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I spent a fortnight in May at this hotel and the first impressions were very good. We arrived 3 hours late after being delayed at Manchester and as promised, were greeted with a very welcome cold drink and an even colder flannel. A very pleasant cold buffet was left in our room as the restaurant was closed by the time we did eventually arrive, which was a nice touch.

The next morning we upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite which was fabulous, even though we did have a few problems with the Jacuzzi . The rooms in the Suite were beautifully decorated, we had a large master bedroom with a huge bed, I have never slept so well in a long time as I did there, the second bedroom had twin beds, we had 2 huge bathrooms which were fabulous and included bath and a separate shower area and a living room which was also nicely furnished. The Jacuzzi itself was situated on a rooftop terrace with 2 sun beds and there was also a shower. The views from this terrace were spectacular, we had suite 702 and could see the whole bay and the rest of the resort. Waking up to this view every day was amazing, looking out over the lagoon style beach or up towards the fabulously manicured gardens. We used to get a visit from the local Kestrel who would sit on the end of our rooftop terrace surveying his domain, we also discovered that there was a nest of very young Kestrels in the roof of the Cabana next to ours so maybe he was keeping a very beady eye on his young! Due to the fact that we were staying in one of the Suites, we also had one of the Cabanas for the duration of our holiday and the use of a personal waiter Alaa for the people who were using the private beach area. Having the Cabana saved us the hassle of having to look for a sunbed every morning and gave us our own personal space to stretch out!

FOOD – Not impressed at all with the main buffet restaurant, it was fine for breakfasts with plenty choice but during the evening you were extremely lucky if your food was lukewarm. The deserts looked fabulous but were completely bland and lacking in taste. When we passed comments to members of staff at the hotel about the evening buffet, they would just point us in the direction of one of the a la carte’s instead, it was as if they weren’t really interested and knew it wasn’t particularly good, one of the staff even told us that there should be show cooking taking place there? Certainly not on the 3 nights we did pop our heads in there and picked at the food that they were offering!! A 5* Hotel should have 5* food in all of its restaurants not just the a la carte’s!!

At lunch time we used the Poseidon Restaurant which is close to the beach. Food there was usually very good and you can choose from a menu of burgers, pizzas, fajitas, sandwiches, salads etc. This is where you will find all the best waiters who also work in the a la carte restaurants during the evening. Young Ahmed was my favourite but everyone of them were fantastic.

Indian Restaurant managed by the consummate professional Ahmed Abdulla and every time I saw him he reminded me of the Lionel Richie song “Hello” (again). Always calm, courteous and exceptionally well mannered, he was a role model for the younger waiters. Young Ahmed (my favourite cheeky chappie), Mounir (always smiling!) and Mohamed (Quiet and Competent) also waited on in this restaurant. On our last night they arranged a special meal for us as the poppadoms had arrived!!! Thank you to you all for making our final hour at Crystal Bay special.

Mediterranean Restaurant managed by Hamdy, another of the most courteous, calm, professional staff we encountered. We had some lovely meals in this restaurant, although the deserts weren’t quite what they should have been according to the menu (Tiramisu with no coffee or cream?).

Felucca Fish Restaurant. I could salivate right now just thinking about the soups, absolutely fantastic. Yes you have to pay for this restaurant but it is so worth it!! Fabulous views also
We also ate at the Asian Restaurant in the Mamlouk Palace next door which was very nice. We used the pool at the Mamlouk several times as we preferred it to the Pool at the Crystal Bay (deeper water for swimming and a nice pool bar).

All in all we had a fabulous holiday and I would go back there tomorrow if I could, instead we have to wait until March 2015. Thank you to all the Staff who looked after us while we were there as you really made our holiday extra special and we appreciate it!

Christine and Matt from Newcastle England

2 Thank Christine2402
crystalbayresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Mrs Christine,
We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your vacation in our resort and had a very relaxing stay thank you for your nice comments about our staff members.

Concerning the Main buffet food temperature,We would like to draw your attention to the fact that we run a Quality system in the SUNRISE Resorts & Cruises Company implemented in all our properties supervised by the top management of each property and our Quality Department as well as monthly controlled by Cristal Middle East which let us to achieve our high scores .Please note that we have discussed that in our daily meeting and we are working hardly top offer the best services to our guests.

The entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back in SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort where you will always be surrounded by comfort and care.

Guest service center Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed may 27th until June 6th Firstly , I'm glad I have not got round to doing this review just yet as Santa Sid echoes my thoughts and experience and had the same issues as us. Went to taba heights Sofitel last year and had a great time. The visa chaos when you arrive In the country , it's just a free for all ! Made up prices , we were told 30 us dollars before arrival it then turned out to be £38 ! First impression of the hotel was good no towels or welcome drink though, I have to say we are very fussy about our food , we had beef Bougonoion and I had the chicken steaks, all well cooked, we were both ill the next day but I know it wasn't the food only thing it was, the mojito from the bar, fresh mint or ice ? For the rest of the week after paying £28 for tablets at the pharmacy across the road, We just had 2 chip rolls each and Pepsi with no ice , I was told by another guest he was ill and went to the mall chemist and it was charged £2 ! Did not risk th other restaurants or proteins off the buffet , The room was pretty good bathroom a little tired but no issues with water pressure. The Russians are as stated , did our research and the hotel scores very high on trip adviser and still does , so was glad to review Santa Sid review and a chap from London , will not be returning , as it seems we were exploited as tourists ! No one else has mentioned the aircrafts flying overhead at early hours of the morning ! And the huge que at the airport through passport control and other nationalities pushing in , yes you know who I mean ! No organisation , disappointed with the sunrise and hurgurda in general, will not be back. Flights were good by Thomas cook.

• Stayed May 2014
crystalbayresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Mr. Steve,

Thank you for choosing SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Beach Resort for your recent vacation. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.
We are sorry to hear that your holiday experience was not as you expected it to be and we would like to thank you for your kind comments and feedback. Feedback for SUNRISE is very important as it helps us to understand where we are performing to a high standard and the areas where there may be room for improvement.
Resorts & Cruises Company implemented in all our properties supervised by the top management of each property and our Quality Department as well as monthly controlled by Cristal Middle East. As well daily Food audit is done by our Guest Service Center team and Hygiene Manager. I would like also to add that regarding the medicine fees, we are also advising our guests to visit the resort doctor who can check guests and provide them medicine and make as well following with guests.
We do hope that despite your comments we will have the pleasure to host your good selves once again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Firstly re the airport/visa requirements. If you want to save yourself lots of time and hassle, sort it all out online ahead of going like we did. My husband sorted it through a guy called Mohammed. He was wonderful, there was a sign with our names on in the airport and they whisked us through within 5 minutes and we went straight to an air conditioned taxi and then directly to our hotel. Saves lots of time and bother and doesn't cost any extra.

I have to admit to having stayed in some wonderful hotels around the world which are truly 5 star and I'm afraid the Sunrise Grand Select doesn't compare favourably and I'd go so far as to say I don't believe it should be graded as a 5 star - 4 at best.

Our first impression was one of efficiency as we were immediately seated and brought a cold facecloth but no welcome drink. The reception was ok but nothing stunning and I didn't think as nice as the pictures had made out. We were then fitted with our annoying all inclusive plastic wristbands before being taken to our room.

We stayed in room 335 which was located on the 2nd floor and had a wonderful view of both the small beach and the immaculately maintained gardens and also being the last in the block it felt more private. I'd recommend a 2nd floor as there's no-one above you dragging their chairs across the hard floors! Room 335 was a bit of walk to the main reception/restaurants but only about 7 minutes and we enjoyed walking through the gardens.

Having seen other rooms online, I reckon ours was older in design as it looked a little shabby and the grout was coming away in places in the bathroom but having said that, it was a good size albeit the wardrobe design was driving me batty by the end of the week as you could only slide one door at a time and if you had the safe open you'd bash the doors against it but that's a small point.

We found the majority of the hotel staff to be extremely professional, helpful and friendly and I'm rubbish at remembering names but we came to know a waiter in the buffet restaurant very well. He saved us a table each evening and remembered what drinks we liked. We also got on really well with the guy serving the drinks at the pool bar.

The animation team were all very friendly, particularly Mercedes, Ola and Marc to name a few. They encouraged you to take part in activities in the resort and explained what was taking place but didn't push you. They are all a credit to the hotel as they work so hard.

It was my birthday during our stay and we booked the a la carte fish restaurant, Felucca. I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you're celebrating a special occasion. They reserved a fantastic table by the water for me, flower petals were strewn on the tablecloth and I was brought out a birthday cake and sung Happy Birthday. Fantastic evening and meal and only cost us about £30 for 2 starters, 2 mains and several drinks (this is the only restaurant where you have to pay extra but as I've said, well worth it).

We did try the mediterranean restaurant on our last evening but my pasta was awful being far too hard. I did ask them to prepare a new dish, which they did but it came back just as hard so we gave up.

Food in the buffet restaurant is ok. There is quite a good choice and I can't put my finger on it but I've had better in other hotels.

My main gripe of the holiday (literally!) was my husband and I suffered very bad diarrhoea whilst we were there. I strongly believe it was food poisoning as we are hardy travellers and don't usually suffer with stomach complaints. It's taken me 2 weeks to get back to normal! Be very cautious with what you eat is all I can say, oh and if you're vegetarian like myself, good luck as they like to chuck meat into loads of the dishes. You'd think you'd be safe with a dish labelled broccoli au gratin but as I found out once I'd taken a big mouthful, it contained mince! I got used to asking the very helpful and friendly head chef what was in all the dishes but if they had been labelled correctly, I wouldn't have needed to.

Would I stay at this hotel again? No I wouldn't. It's a big old world and there's lots of other places to try plus it just didn't have the wow factor for me.

Lastly, we got talking to several couples in their 20s and they wished they'd booked Sharm rather than Hurghada as it felt a bit quiet for them. We purposely chose Hurghada as we wanted a completely relaxing break away but in more luxurious surroundings than this hotel can manage

Room Tip: Choose a 2nd floor room if you don't want anyone above you dragging their chairs across the hard...
Dear Mrs Lesley,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort and for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.Please note that we took notes about all your comments which had been discussed with all the department concerned.

It is very kind of you to recognize the hotel team and their hard work. I will share your comments with them and I am confident that they will be glad to know that their efforts contributed to your enjoyable stay and let you feel like at “second home”.

with best regards,
N.Wales
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Having visited Tarba Heights last year I was really looking forward to this holiday. Firstly I must say I had a very bad holiday due to food poisoning but I will try to be fair in my review. Arrival at the airport is disgraceful, you enter the building to a pack of shouting rip off Egyptians. The advice given out about going to the official banks for your visa is a joke. It will cost you $25 each to enter, and you must get a visa or they will not stamp your passport. Its the same when leaving the building with your cases, with these idiots trying to carry your case! The first impressions of the hotel where good. I must point out that when you are checking in it is ridiculous how long it takes, I think there where 5 couples and it took an hour and a half to get to my room. In any other country they take your passport and photocopy it and send you on your way! After checking in we were all escorted together by one man who pointed out some of the restaurants and then proceeded to walk us to our rooms in order. Stupid idea as after a 5 hour flight and being after midnight we just wanted to unpack and get to bed!! The rooms were fine, the bathroom looked rough in places and the water supply was hit and miss at times with poor water pressure sometimes and black water now and again. The amenities in the room were great with tea/coffee facilities mini fridge with water replaced every day and a safe and good tv. One problem could be the fact that there are no lifts at all in the accommodation blocks. I asked for a high floor which I was given, however it was a long way from the main building so you felt rather warm after the 10 min walk at night. Now im sorry if I sound negative but I must say my holiday was wrecked by food poisoning contracted on the second day from the main restaurant. Had 4 days were I couldn't move from the room suffering servere dehydration and being exceptionally ill.Had to call the doctor to the room and had to be put on a drip and antibiotics. This ruined my holiday as it knocked the stuffing out of me and couldn't stomach food in the main restaurant, but was ok in the the other 2 on site (indian & Med) which were very good.Most facilities are good in the hotel, we found the waiter service a little hit or miss and the dress code was a joke. The hotel is full of Russians who dress either very well or like they are at the beach at night Flip flops vests and shorts at the evening dining I don't like (sorry). A pack of pringles and 2 packs of M&Ms set us back £12 in the shop so don't bother. Overall I found the hotel staff plentiful and helpful but not the most efficient sorry. The entertainment team were tirless and a credit to the hotel. As I have said in the review I didn't have the best holiday and this may have clouded my review slightly but everything I have put in I think is fair. I have always been an advocate for Egypt due to the service I have received on previous occasions but I found this hotel a let down overall and will not be returning.

Room Tip: We were in 336 which we found a good trek from the restaurant and bar
3 Thank santasid
crystalbayresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Valuable guests,

We would like to draw your attention in that period of your stay in our resort the hotel was full of occupancy and no cases referring to food poisoning had been noticed, so to the fact that we run a Quality system in the SUNRISE Resorts & Cruises Company implemented in all our properties supervised by the top management of each property and our Quality Department as well as monthly controlled by Cristal Middle East. As well daily Food audit is done by our Guest Service Center team and Hygiene Manager. I would like also to add that Club car is available upon guests request to escort them to their room for more comfortable service.

Kind Regards,

Belgium
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Very nice all in hotel. Do book the theme restaurants like the Indian and Mediterenean rest, they are very good. The big minus during our stay was the bed. This was so hard that we didn't sleep good the in tire vacation. We did complaint twice about it and directly a topping was added to the matras, sadly it didn't work as the problem was not solved for us. We figured since we booked it as last minute and didn't pay full price we got punished with this kind of room so we left it like that. Besides this minor, we did have a nice vacation. I did like the tv with American movie channels! We rented the cabana on the private beach area, for a few days. Which was nice and cost 30 USD/day. You get your private butler who is very friendly and makes you some nice cocktails during the day. The food in hotel, theme restaurants and beach bar was taken care of and not once did we have stomach problems. Even the beach bar restaurant had a la carte, which was new to me and i like very much. There was a very nice and non pushy animation team which were always up to a nice chat around the pool. (Marc, Chicco, Mercedes, Olga, Chris, Soudany, Dj Leo: thank you for your pleasant chats and keeping us busy a few times per day) :). I would recommend this hotel, but i am happy that we didn't pay full price. I would regret getting that kind of bed if we would have. And thats the only thing that would keep me from coming back and not stay longer for a week.

Room Tip: we had a room far from head building (456) so if you can't walk well ask for room nearby recepti...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
crystalbayresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear guests,

We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your vacation in our resort and had a very relaxing stay thank you for your nice comments about our staff members and animation team.
We had discussed your comment regarding the comfort of the beds and we had already took action to provide better service for our guests.

Guest service center Manager
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 11 nights in May and had a lovely time. The food in the a la carte restaurants is fantastic and even the buffet was pretty good. We managed to try all restaurants apart from the Egyptian and seafood and can safely say our favourite was the Mediterranean. The room was a lovely size and kept nice and clean - even through a sand storm. The place is constantly being cleaned, we even saw people cleaning at 3am one morning!
All of the staff are very friendly and will do anything for you and so are the animation team. We would also like to thank the staff who helped look after my boyfriend after the slipped by the pool and dislocated his shoulder (on another note the medical centre is very clean and staff there we're also lovely).
Luckily neither of us we're ill so we didn't have to worry about that but we did hear of a few people being ill. There is a few armed police officers and soldiers that are around but they didn't bother us too much, if anything we felt as though they we're there to protect us so don't be too worried.
We also did the trip to Mahmaya which I can really recommend it was a fantastic day out. The only fault I can't find with the hotel was that we wasn't told about a doctors charge until we checked out which created a lot of stress as we had spent all our money, our insurance company paid for it so it wasn't an issue it just would have been nice to have had a note put through our door with the price etc as a courtesy. But apart from that I can't fault the hotel and staff.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Charlotte M
crystalbayresort, Guests Service Center at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience - we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay in our resort.
The tradition of Egyptian hospitality leaves us at hope that for your next vacation you will choose again SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort and we will do our best to make it an unforgettable experience.

Best regards,
Guests Service Center Team
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel in May and it was absolutely perfect. We had such an amazing time due to the welcoming staff and the brilliant animation team (Mark, Chicco, Soudany, Mercedes, Ola & Leo). When we arrived we were seated in the lobby and given drinks and wet face towels, the reception sent someone to take our suitcases to our room for us. We were very surprised at how big our room was and how clean it was. During our stay Saeed was our housekeeper (Room 509) and he could not do enough for us. He came to our room every night with chocolates and to ask if the room was clean enough and if we needed any more towels. Our room was made up to perfection everyday and we had clean towels everyday. There was a large variety of drinks at the pool bar and lots of different cocktails to choose from. Qwenawy the bartender was so welcoming and such a nice person, as were the security at the lobby, always smiling and saying 'welcome home' when you had been outside of the resort. The food at the buffet was nice but did not vary BUT there are 3 restaurants within the hotel which you can book into (Seafood, Indian, Mediterranean)if you would like, you can also book into the neighbouring hotels restaurants as well. An amazing show was put on every night by the BRILLIANT ANIMATION TEAM! They also do games, competitions and dance/gym sessions by the pool during the day which you can get involved with. Overall, we thought there were no faults at all with this holiday (apart from the shower, it was massive but the power on the shower head was not very good!!)
THANKYOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO WORKS AND THE HOTEL AND MADE OURSTAY SO AMAZING!!!

Abbi & Michael (Room 509)

Room Tip: Superior twin bed sea view, MASSIVE
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
crystalbayresort, Guests Service Center at SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Abby and Michael
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay with us. It is pleasant to read that you had an enjoyed the meals in our restaurant, service of House Keeping and had fun with our animation team.
The team of SUNRISE Grand Select Crystal Bay Resort will be happy to welcome you back.
Zhanna Kartashova
Guests Service Center Team.