“my opinion of the sunrise holiday resort”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #43 of 221 Hotels in Hurghada
scotland
“my opinion of the sunrise holiday resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Travelled here for 2 week break in early july, decided not to write my review immediately but to ponder on the pros and cons and the full holiday experience we had to allow a more balanced view report.
Good points
Beach area was excellent, plenty of space, loungers and brollies for shade,
Staff were friendly in most cases some went the extra mile for you though some just seem unhappy.

Average Points
Bedrooms were basic but clean as was the bathroom, room cleaners do an average job, more tidying up than cleaning really in my opinion, evidenced by the fact that the balcony was never cleaned, and things left lying on the shower floor were still left lying there the next day on several occassions leaving me of the opinion that this area wasnt really cleaned.

Food was very average i had no problems finding something hearty to eat most days but anyone who is in the slightest way fussy or un adventurest will struggle as i noticed with my wife on quite alot of occassions.

Swimming pool area small with little shade - obviously the hotel wants you to use the lagoon area, but noteveryone likes the sea and the sand ( again not a problem for me but did bring some moans from the wife)

Bad Points
Evening Entertainement absolutely terrible would even go as far as to say the worst iv ever seen in my wide and varied world travels ( mostly to the same standard of hotel).
Alcohol - dire and horrible tried a hit on most things eventually managing to pallet the dark rum, lager, gin, vodka wine and the others were horrible ( as a well experienced all Inc traveller i know that the drink isnt really the best but this did hit an all time low).
The beds as reported in lots of other posts are probebly the worste i have ever slept in really do need to be fully updated (reminded me of the poor hotel beds from the 80's and 90's i really thought most hotels had adressed this area over the past 5-10 years)
The staff although friendly appear to be brainwashed into cosistantly having to ask you if everything is ok .. upto 20 or 30 times a day, in my opinion it really made a mockery of the hotels philophesy of ensureing ur stay is perfect as it made the situation of asking seem really false. (maybe if the entertainment staff spent more time.
Waiters and other resturaunt staff need to learn how to behave professionally, in general only interested in tables with younger females, difficult to get drinks or top up drinks because of this lifting food of plates for a joke!!!, far to much unprofessional interaction with diners including trying to sell trips and other hotel activities while you are eating.

Other Issues
No small notes ever available for tipping, no one ever has change im talking about 10 le notes = £1 (shops, taxi drivers, bars, reception) just one of their scams i suppose.

Talking of scams it seems to be the way of life in egypt from the minute you get off the plane when you arive with your visa payment till you go home the name of the game is to scam either in the shops, bars, resturaunts, taxi's etc. Having previously been in turky, tunisia, dominican and venezuella where hassling is a big way of life the egyptials take this to a new level.

All in all although my report may seem harsh at times its only my opinion and the experiences i had while there, its nowhere near the worst holiday iv had and to be honest we felt really relaxed and refreshed after my two weeks there, but i just felt it lacked in some of the more important things that we look for when going on holiday for 2 weeks.
Would i go again - possibly for a week but only to lie on the beach maybe as a winter break.
If you want a quiet relaxing beach holiday you will just about get away with it, dont expect to venture far from your resort or you will come accross that hassle and hussle of what is Hurghada.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank happy_scotsman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just returned (stayed 2nd week of september).The staff and hotel were excellent. food varied enough and always something, considering one of our group was a fussy vegetarian and she always had something. The burger bar is good for lunch,does fries,salads,burgers and is on beach by lagoon but can be very hot sitting there. we were on the 6th floor and had a view to the pool which meant a laugh at the entertainment each night(which was amusing). its also nice that no children were about as adult hotel so a more adult entertainment theme was set even day sports were good like the water polo which got very competitive.
ROOM TIP:5th floor up gives great view but all rooms seem to have good sea view.
PRE HOLIDAY: get change in egyptian currency(10 egyyptian notes are about £1) and take lots for tips,they desperately rely on these and cannot change foreign coins only notes at the bank .In the restaurant ,we generally left 50 egyptian pounds each night to whichever waiter had attended us and they really look after you if you do this. They do anyway, but due to so few guests because of the egyptian situation,they were very grateful. we would arrive to a table set with out drinks,flowers etc. The drink is not great, i would recommend if you like spirits ,buy a bottle coming in at duty free ,then the beer are fine.wine is bad! WIFI in hotel is very slow but the shisha bar in the hotel has free wifi but you have to buy a drink(dead cheap and ice cold).
EXCURSIONS: the dive and boat trips are brilliant,organised by the hotel dive club,they are lovely people and take you for a try dive in the lagoon,fantastic.We did the days dive trip, me and our daughter were new to it but my husband is experienced and they catered for all of us on one trip.they lunch supplied was lovely and a great day.The desert safari trip was awful, we booked through the rep(he was great),the quad bike bit was fun(30mins),the supposed 30min go carting was 5 mins,the bedouin camp was awful,beggars and the children were sick.they had an 'animal house' were some of the animals were dead and others near dead,no purpose and horrible.we left early by request and didnt stay for the night entertainment which we were told by others was poor. Everyone who we spoke to who did any boat trips of any type loved them. I would recommend a day between each excursion so you can recover. Spa was average but
Overall,lovely place,staff and will return

Room Tip: higher rooms have best view distance wise but apparently lower rooms are better furnished. Our room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

stayed here from 27th Aug till 10th Sept, once again had an ab fantastic stay. How anyone can knock this hotel is beyond me. From the minute you arrive you are made to feel at home, infact its better than at home...the rooms are clean, spacious and if you get the seaview, lagoon view rooms with large balcony even better...The restaurants cater for every tastes. im a fussy eater, and was never disappointed. Every day the management walk around the beach and pool areas, offering little drinks or snacks etc, asking if everything is ok and if they can do anything to make your stay any better.!! never had that anywhere before.
The animation team were amazing, had so much fun with them, especially Mambo a great guy..
I agree with Yazza89 drinks not so good, didn't put me off though, just had cocktails,watered the vodka down a bit...
if you fancy going out of the hotel for a , The Retro bar is just up the road, brilliant in there, they have a live singer on a sat night, which is worth going to see..good cheap drinks in there too..
also a new bar called South Beach has just opened up and will soon have the first Ice bar on the beach....The Marina is also worth a visit...
I hope to visit this hotel again for new year, as its one of the best hotels that I have visited..
Mr Hyman the manager, keep up the good work..

Room Tip: higher floors, best views
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Fantastic Holiday. Stayed for 2 weeks Hotel was very nice double room with sea view all around. The food was very good three restaurants to choose from staff were really friendly and the animation team always asking you if you we're ok. Amazing beach and lagoon. Rooms were cleaned every day had a room on the 3rd floor wonderful views every morning. Management always on the ball with any slight problems will definitely be going back in the near future.

Room Tip: Certain floors have recently been refurbished the lower floors are good
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed from 30th aug-6th sep! Me and my partner enjoyed every minute! The view from our room was spectacular so beautiful! Our cleaner hanny was a lovely man and did a great job! Food was also nice! I wouldn't rate the drinks though they didn't taste great! But beer was fine! But if u you fancy a nice beer go to the sheish bar within the hotel great beer for around 90p which comes on a bottle ice cold it is so chilled there and the man hassan is very friendly who runs the bar also have free wifi there! The entertainment team are lovely!my favourites were Gigi, mido and mambo great people! Weather was gorgeous and they held a great beach foam party! Was so good! I felt right at home here met some fabulous people! And would recommend to anyone! Snorkelling is also a must!! There are no signs of trouble in the area what so ever don't worry your in good hands! So sit back and enjoy!! Wish I was going back there now! X

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Yazza89
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've been in this lovely hotel second time and I am happy for my choice. How did I expect everything was on high level, nice room and room service, it was next to the beach, food was great, I've never been hungry. Big and beautiful territory, very nice beach and the sea. Hotel service in general was excellent, the behavior of the staff was perfect, everyone was friendly. Animation team like always was great, and this time I want also to say thank you guys for everything I enjoyed every day of my vacation Thank you Gigi, Mido, Denisa, Kamba, Mezzo and Natali!!! These holidays were perfect for me, thank you everyone who make it so great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great hotel, we liked everything there! Very beautiful territory, great service, very friendly staff. We enjoyed all the restaurants in the hotel, the food was perfect, very tasty and a big variety! Amazing beach, clean and very big, there is also very nice laguna. We had a room on the 6th floor, it was clean every day! Want to say thank you for the entertainment team, guys you were great!!! We will miss you so much, especially Gigi, Mido (Hakuna Matata) and Mezzo (their shef). You didn't let us to be bored with your entertainment program! We recommend this hotel to everbody, it is really great! Also I want to add that Hurghada is totaly safe, we've been there for a walk some times and never seen smth dangerous. Great vacation, we will come back of course.