“Happiest Hotel in Hurghada”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #60 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Excellent hotel, fantastic food thanks to head chef Ashraf, heated pool, man made lagoon with plenty of well-spaced sun beds. Good daytime activities and reasonable night time entertainment. Excellent value for money. No children under 14 so excellent if you don't have children.

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have sea view so you'd have to be unlucky not to get one.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Joanne1186223

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed 1st march 2013 for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time, it was our first time to egypt and i picked a lovley hotel, Had it very own private beach but i spent most of my holiday at the pool and being seavred drink after drink after drink by Mahmoued Maher (bar tender) The food the chef Ashraf provided was brill and i mean that as my boyfriend is a top Chef, The Animation team were great, Gemma with lazy darts, the shows at night made me laugh with zizi and can can so funny, had such a good time we are going back on the 8th october for another 2 weeks and we don't really go back to the same place as (lots of the world id like to see).

1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I must have stayed at a completely different hotel than some of the tripadvisor users. I read the poor reviews, but eventually booked with Sunrise Holiday. Terrible choice. Believe the poor reviews, as most come from people who review a lot. Frankly, tripadvisor should have a formula for rankings based on number of reviews...or I gotta just get smarter and trust the reviews from people who should know.

First, the location is beautiful. The hotel is quite clean. The food is edible, some even tasty. The luggage people are really sweet and competent. That's it for positives.

Service is horrendously terrible. Not an overstatement and not just a personal experience. I booked with booking.com. When I arrived, no welcome drink (tho there was a table with pitchers and towels on it, and after a long car ride I could have used both), no welcome at all. The front desk person looked at me and said "name and passport." I gave both and did not receive a thank you. In fact, he said literally nothing else to me other than to give me the room number. My room was requested to be a double bed, but it was two singles. The shower came out as a weak stream (a trickle) of water. And worse, no inside door lock on the door...a non negotiable point as I was traveling alone and stationed on the corner of one of main walkways to the restaurants.

I reported the issues to the front desk at 8 am the next day (it was late and I was tired the night before...but a night on the busy walkway with people running into my door convinced me to immediately report the issues). The very disinterested front desk person told me they would be taken care of immediately, but I decided not to bring up the room issue as I just wasn't up to moving that morning. I was exhausted and just needed to get to the sun. I checked back at 1 pm and nothing had happened. I re-reported the issues and offered to move to make it easier. Again, I was met with disinterest and almost contempt by the same person, who demanded I explain the issues again. He told me that it would be taken care of right away and dismissed me. I checked back at 4 p.m. and nothing had happened. This time I got a trainee, who had the same disinterested attitude and promised it "right away," but, at my increasing frustration at the issue, I was given to Saif, who was the only competent desk person with whom I interacted. Saif told me right away, and I informed him that I didn't want to judge him but that I just didn't believe right away anymore. He picked up the phone and called maintenance and told me they would be there in 5 minutes. I met them in the hallway on the way to my room. They efficiently and competently fixed the lock. Then tried to show me that the shower worked, to which I explained it was a shower not a trickling faucet that I needed. They brought in a new shower head and it was fixed.

Two days later, I had a toilet that would not stop running. Again, three times before I finally got to Saif, who sent the guys to fix it. And every visit to the front desk or even just sitting in the lobby bar overlooking the front desk, I saw my experience repeated with guest after guest after guest. I teach communication for a living, so I really try to be patient and make interactions work no matter what. It was hard, and others certainly blew up. Why not? Every concern was met with indifference, inaction, and contempt (lots of defensive attitude). It's not easy to work at a resort, I get that, but, wow, so much easier to be polite, respectable, and efficient. Then you don't have to get in a fight with every person. It's so easy, treat people with respect, respond to their concerns--simple--but not the policy of this hotel.

Wait staff. Very mixed. Many indifferent to outright contempt. Some actually friendly and competent, but that was not the norm. Very sullen staff as a whole.

The alcohol is terrible, undrinkable. When I read the reviews, I thought "how bad could it be?" Can't be worse than college punch. It is bad. The liquor, all of it, tastes like methanol. I haven't drank methanol (as it is poisonous), but it smells like college chemistry methanol. No matter what you mix it with, it is undrinkable, even as a shot. Terrible. The wine is also bad. In the buffets, it comes from a cask and is drinkable most nights. At the bars and in the restaurant, it is served from bottles that are filled from the cask and left open. It aerates into undrinkableness in a short time. The beer is very, very, very weak and tastes like a bad high life. Good news. I saw no really drunk people, as it is impossible for most human beings to drink enough of the weak horrible drinks to get even a buzz. Believe me, I needed a buzz and could not get one from the alcohol provided.

The hotel has shops, which is nice, but the shop keepers are aggressive (I like to be not hassled in the hotel, at least), and some of the shop keepers are super creepy (perfume guy, it's you we're talking about...there's a reason no one stops in). Martin at the general store right outside of the lobby area is an exception and an exceptional service person. He is helpful, patient, and never pushy. I loved doing business with him. He is fantastic!

Food in the buffets was definitely edible. I even liked some dishes. The Mediterranean restaurant that gets great reviews was not good at all. The food was no better and most worse than the buffets. And the animation staff came through yelling and talking to us while we ate...not what should happen in the "nice" restaurant.

Finally, something beyond the hotel to consider, for only one day was the beach and sea beautiful and open. The other days the wind was so strong that the sea was closed off (and should have been) and the beach was like a sandblaster. What's the Sahara Desert known for? Yep, sandstorms. I wish I would have lived it up on the first and only day of livable relaxing beach time.

In short, do not stay here. Listen the reviewers, the ones with lots of ratings under their belts. If for whatever reason, you do end up here. Here's some help.

Get the room you want from the beginning.
The pizza in the beach bar is good, definitely the best lunch option. The pizza man is volatile. Pizza man, why do you yell at the guests? One day, I tried to order a pizza and he pulled one out of the oven and shoved it at me. "Take this pizza." I didn't want the plain pizza, I wanted vegetables, as I had explained in the order. So then he started throwing vegetables on the baked pizza and shoving it at me. Really? thankfully Omar, who works in the beach bar and is quite good, intervened and apologized and got me the pizza I wanted.
The internet cafe and shish bar is okay for internet (some days quite sluggish) and Sam is friendly.
At the restaurant under the pool, there are cook to order eggs for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank LB6Travel
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is the only hotel in Hurghada I will go back to one day - hopefully soon. From the beginning till the end everything was perfect, which has never happened to me before (been to 10 other hotels in Hurghada itself, plus 3 in Sharm el Sheikh, 2 in Taba, 2 in Marsa Alam) and I was surprised it may be so good. And no, it is not a paid review :)
Before we came, I asked by e-mail for the room upgrade (our Polish travel agent did not have the option) - the reply came immediately, the matter was settled, the price given - not a problem. Then I asked for an earlier check-in and I was given the same answer - no problem (if there are free rooms on the day of my arrival). It was Mr. Ahmed Hassan, Assistant Front Office Manager who had been corresponding with me., the nicest person I've met in Egypt so far - young, polite and efficient.
After the arrival we were immediately checked in then we were shown the upgraded room (in case we didn't like it) and when we did like it, only then did we pay (not before, which is not typical for egypt). We got a beautiful room on the 3rd floor with the seaview. Waking up and falling asleep to the sound of the sea is amazing experience.
The room itself was okay, very big for two people (beds like for four), with a balcony (sunbed, table, two chairs), minibar, flatscreen tv (working, no problem), sofa, big wardrobe, beautiful, new bathroom with a shower. It was close to the restaurants, reception, swimming pool and beach. Perfect location.
The beach is not very big, but there were no problems with finding a sunbed (most of them with windbreakers and umbrellas) every day. The beach staff - sorry to say that - did not help us even once during the whole week (there were 3 or 4 guys, they just gave us the towels and didn't even ask if we need to adjust the beds or windbreaker etc). This was quite strange as in this hotel the rest of staff is really great. Fortunately we are two strong women, me and my mother, so we didn't care. But I had the impression - maybe wrong - that we were somehow ignored at the beach. Not a problem, though, we were fine.
On the beach we heard animation team from the swimming pool (we didn't stay there at all, we prefer the sea), but they never made us participate or anything. Just shouted (sometimes a bit too loud :) "vooooleybaaaal" or something else. Anyway, we don't participate in the animation stuff, but other guests say it's really great (dancing, stretching etc.)
The bar on the beach is okay, either you just take the drinks (soft drinks, tea, coffee) yourself or you can ask the waiter to bring it to the table.
The sunbeds near the building get in the shadow quite early, so it's better to choose the other side.
I don't swim, but there were beautiful fish and other creatures visible even from the shallow water - the bay is charming and the water clean. There are 3 quite big boats harbouring close to the hotel, but they set off early and come back in the afternoon, so no obstruction of the view.
Every day on the beach appeared chef Ashraf (yes, the other most helpful person, not only about food) with kanapes or sweets, asking if we're ok. And we did felt taken care of like never before.
The food is also amazing. The beach restaurant Aida - okay, though we prefered El Sol, the main restaurant or the Arabian Nights. It's amazing that you can choose between the three (there's menu of Sol and A.N. for every day and it changes). The variety, freshness, hygiene - surprising for egypt and just tasty. The waiters in the restaurant mostly polite, though sometimes there weren't enough of them. I especially liked the "cheese man", the person cutting the cheeses. Really nice guy.
Forget about the Meditarranean restaurant a la carte. You can go there free of charge once a week, but it isn't worth it. Except for the waiters serving you (and not the buffet like in other three) there's really nothing special. On the menu we had: meat that was served for lunch (beef, poor quality), fish that was served for lunch (overcooked), cold salads, bad desserts. Poor choice, waste of time for me - I felt I was in some other hotel.
We had a small problem with the AC but it was fixed almost immediately and we were also offered a room change in case we wanted (we didn;t) - for the time of the repairs).
Generally it was my best stay in Egypt and if I ever come back, it will be to Sunrise Holidays Resort, because I trust them and I felt like home, for the 1st time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MilkaJankowska
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have just returned from a week at this FANTASTIC hotel... The main thing to consider is that I've written about the things that matter to us during a holiday, these are just MY (well, mine and my fiance's) opinions, and i've pretty much covered EVERYTHING from our week in separate paragraphs!! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding it!!

Firstly, be aware that Thomas Cook planes are FREEZING!! Even with the air con switched off above us i was very cold, so take a cardy for the flight!
The weather at the moment is fantastic, 30 degrees plus every day and the heat hits you as you step off the plane - lovely! The airport is very busy with LOTS of men shouting "Thomas Cook!!!" at you and directing you to the visa line...

Tips: The guy who puts your bag on the bus expects a tip so be prepared for him to have his hand outstretched in what he thinks is a subtle manner, but actually ISNT!! Apparently they like to receive pound coins as tips, but they will ask you to change their pound coins into notes when they have enough.
If you want to leave a tip for your cleaner, you need to leave the money on the bed, that's how they know it's for them. The usual tip is 10 - 20 egyptian pounds per day.

Hotel - You arrive at the sparkling clean hotel to a lovely fruity drink and get directed to a seat while the welcoming and friendly staff take your bags and get you checked in. We had booked the "Couples Heaven" (more about this later) package and it is WELL worth the extra money, I would definitely advise booking it! We were taken to the most amazing room (Room 323) EVER with a stunning view over the lagoon and Red Sea. The room was large, comfortable and very clean with a lovely towel sculpture on the bed! Bear in mind that yes, aesthetically, this is not a 5* hotel that you would expect in England, some of the furniture IS slightly dated, but the cleanliness and comfort is certainly at 5* standard! The shower wasn't as powerful as I would have liked, but this is just personal preference!
Wifi at the hotel can be purchased for 80 egyptian pounds for 2 days (buy a day get a day free), it's good to have it but you have to type in the user name and password every time you want to use it which can get a bit tedious! There is wifi available in Cafe Du Jour if you dont want to use it in your room.
The beach and lagoon area is AMAZING - beautifully clean and the water is a stunning colour! The pool is very nice too, and agin, spotless. There was never really a rush for sunbeds, though people do tend to get out early to make the most of the sunshine!
The fact that this hotel is adults only made a really relaxing break for us both, particularly as we both work with children and my fiance is a teacher which restricts us to school holidays! Great value for money too!

Staff - Bearing in mind we had literally only upgraded to the couples package the morning of our arrival, Ahmed Hassan (the reception manager) was amazing, and despite the short notice given, made it happen with no fuss and a smile on his face!!
I was particularly impressed that the management are there to greet you when you arrive, wave you off when you leave, and are around during the day - they work VERY long hours!!
Huge mention goes out to Ayman the waiter, who is very patient while you faff about with your drink choices, and then, once you have FINALLY decided what you're having, remembers it all week! It's the little things like this throughout the hotel that make you feel special, and the fact that the management team are VERY visible around the hotel, bringing you snacks and asking you if everything is ok and to your liking. The batteries on our safe were running low and within 20 minutes they were replaced and sorted! Our cleaner Hanni (I hope thats right!) was brilliant, our room was spotless each day, and I loved the towel art we got too - especially the swan!
You will be approached by sales people on the beach, and you can get a red flag to stop this from happening - however, you do get approached at the pool and in the restaurant, there is one guy who will relentlessly bug you about the Thursday night supper but he works for the hotel so just say no and he'll leave you alone eventually!
Animation team were great - Can Can is a character! You were never forced to join in activities and if you wanted to be left alone you were. We didn't really go to any of the evening entertainment, just the kareoke which which was good!

Food - The hotel has several restaurants and bars, our personal favourite was the El Sol restaurant. Chef Ashraf is FANTASTIC - you expect All Inclusive food to be bland and tasteless, not the case at Sunrise! Even my fiance who is a notoriously fussy eater had a full plate at mealtimes! For breakfast there is a selection of hot and cold items, cheeses, meats, eggs, toast, breads and some of the most delicious pastries ever! Pancakes and omlettes are cooked outside the restaurant and are very very nice! Lunch is again a nice choice between hot and cold foods, all cooked beautifully and presented so well! There is a different themed dinner each night - our personal favourite was the tex mex! The Arabian Nights restaurant is also lovely, though extremely hot - we only ate in there for 1 night so can't really comment too much! There is also the Mediterranean A La Carte Restaurant, which serves a set menu each evening. The food is lovely, but slightly salty! I recommend the tomato soup, followed by the chicken kiev, followed by the apple strudel - yummy! Please also bear in mind that you are not in England, and therefore the food will not be the same as it is here, for example, the apple strudel is more cake like than the pastry based dessert we are used to!

Drinks - are drinkable, be aware that the spirits are VERY strong though and do ask for a "Holidays" cocktail... yummy!! People have said the beer is undrinkable, we usually drink Fosters and found the beer was fine, if a little weak... however, at the pool we were asking for 2 drinks at a time each rather than one (the glasses are pretty much 1/4 pints and we were being poured more foam than beer!) and were met with attitude from the barman asking why we wanted so many and we should only be asking for one - if it was being poured properly we WOULD have only been asking for one! However, this was only a tiny thing and didn't really bother us as the rest of the holiday was so good! Avoid the wine!
Your room is given 2 bottles of water each day and more can be obtained from the lobby bar on the 4th floor if you need it.

Shopping - there are a few shops at the hotel, and you can haggle with the guys in them to get the prices down on gifty items. However, if you run out of suncream, don't buy from the hotel shops - go out of the hotel, turn right, and on your right a little up the road is a small newsagent type shop - the suncreams and after sun in here are half the price of the hotel ones!

Spa - if you want a treatment I suggest going to the spa on the morning of your first day at the hotel and getting a chocolate scrub treatment (The posh term is the paradise treatment I think), this exfoliates the skin ready for the sun and helps you get a great colour! It cost us 250 egyptian pounds each, I don't know if you can haggle on that but we didn't...

Couples Pacakge - 120 euros (Around £100) for the week and you get the room upgrade (ask for room 323!!) a cake, a huge beautiful flower basket, some fruit, a bottle of wine in your room, a bottle of wine with one of your 2 a la carte meals, 2 breakfasts in your room (fabulous!) A trip on a glass bottomed boat and a couples back massage. To be honest, for us it was worth the money just for the room!!!

All in all this was a fab holiday in a great hotel with a phenomenal level of service and some of the nicest staff I have EVER encountered, top marks and we're hoping to return next year!

Room Tip: Room 323 is fabulous, I would say try and avoid level 5 if you're an early to bed type as there...
10  Thank MrsM9814
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was our first trip to Egypt and found the whole experience fantastic ! The hotel is lovely and all of the staff friendly and helpfull. The food was amazing with lots of variety. The head chef was always around to talk to ! The rooms are nice clean and airy and the cleaner was brilliant leaving us with amazing creations made out of the towels ( see the pictures !! ) the private beach was fab with a safe lagoon to go snorkelling we got fantastic videos !! We will definitely go back next year.
PS there were lots of women staying without males while we were there and they had a great time with no problems !! Best foreign holiday we have ever had ! BRILLIANT !,

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gasman440
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Arrived at hotel after a pretty dismal flight (not hotels fault - blame on Thomas Cook!). As we arrived we were once again welcomed with the words "welcome home". This was our second stay at this hotel, and the only one we have returned to, as we like to try new places, but felt so happy here on the last stay. It seems many people are returners, and having been there twice now, am already planning trip 3.

We had emailed hotel to ask for a room overlooking lagoon and had paid for superior room anyway. Met the manager, the lovely Mr Aymen, and he told us he had given us a bigger room as we had been before. Bell boy took us to room to find 2 massive double beds, large balcony overlooking lagoon, this time on a higher floor which afforded fabulous views over to Hurghada and Giftun Island. The whole room was very clean, spacious, and we noted brand new pillows and mattress toppers had been introduced since last stay. Thought last years room was fabulous, but this one was even better.

Plenty of choice, you would have to be a real whinger to complain, I am not vegetarian but found myself eating vege choices on several days. The Aida restaurant on the beach is now open for breakfast and lunch, it was closed on the last stay due to work being done. Have to say there were a couple of meals I found not to be what the label said, think it is something to do with the language barrier, as the quiche turned out to be a cheese and spinache pie made with filo pastry, nothing like a quiche but equally tasty. We gave the Sunday Roast a miss this year as it is not anything like a roast in UK, and we get plenty of those at home anyway lol. Ate in El Sol most nights, just were so chilled we clean forgot about booking into the Mediterranean restaurant. Each night there would be a chef cooking a speciality dessert, and some were lovely, recommend trying them. Ashraf the chef and his team do a grand job, everything is very clean, did not get any tummy problems as have in other hotels in Egypt in past. Have to say the man at breakfast who sliced the cheese is lovely, and often sang a little song while he worked he was so happy. Lunch I would like to see a little more choice in desserts as just some fruit out, but no melon, if management reading this please put a little melon out at lunch like you do in the evening. The breads are lovely, try the different rolls.

Drinks

As are many hotels in Egypt, there are local drinks, and not always a lot of choice, but having seen the costs of drinks out there for premium brands, I can understand this. There was beer, brandy, raki, vodka, rum, gin, whisky and lots of soft drinks and mixers for cocktails. Always tea and coffee at any time as a machine in every bar. I found that this year the vodka tasted a little strange, almost a vanilla taste and smell to it, so spoke to bar man, who confirmed they had changed the brand. After speaking to the management who come round daily asking if there are any problems, I mentioned the strange taste of vodka. That night when went to bar they had changed the vodka to a usual one, now that is what I call management.

Entertainment

Cant comment much on this as we do our own thing, but the animation team seemed busy, and would invite us to things, we just were not into that kind of thing. Have to say though I missed last years animation team, they had changed the team and last years seemed more friendly coming round and chatting to guests, but maybe they were just too busy as seemed less of them? Others said the entertainment at night in the Jungle Disco was good, but it is just too enclosed in there for us, we prefer to sit out and get the night breeze. There is something for everyone though, including flop and droppers like us.

Went to the Egyptian night, cost about £15 per person, held in the area around the old childrens paddling pool. Salad, then soup, then choice of meat or fish bbq, and finished off with fruit platter. All drinks included. This was a new venture and we had a great night, lots of Egyptian dancers, and the whirling Dervish was absolutely brilliant, and the belly dancer was very gifted with some of her moves lol. Lovely ambiance and I would recommend this highly.

Dive Centre

Husband could not dive this time due to bruised ribs in an accident at home, but dive team still found time to chat to him, about his dives, and would come to check how his snorkelling had been, and suggest places to try next. PDL are very good, and we would recommend them to anybody wanting to dive, as sticking by the Padi book and not taking risks, like some other dive centres my husband has used in Egypt in the past. They offer snorkelling trips, all from the hotels jetty.

Snorkelling

This year it was outstanding, so much more to see than last year, dont know why, but there seemed to be more species out there just by the pontoon, both inside and outside lagoon. My husband actually photographed something we still can not even identify, which excited him.

Thomas Cook

For some reason they seem unable to understand that we had booked a private transfer through them, was the same last year, and no amount of explaining seemed to make them understand we were not going on the shared shuttle, though they did try to put our cases onto it! In future will not bother with private, as it is only about 15 minutes to the airport and will save all this hassle and save money. The rep this year was different, did not have much dealings with him as dont bother with welcome meetings, but at least he was not moody like last years. Tip - if you are with Thomas Cook you can have a late check out room until 2pm free.

Staff

Some of the nicest people we have encountered at any resort in the world, and we are well travelled. So many lovely people always checking if they can do more for you. The last couple of nights though the bar staff seemed to be very slow, and we had to keep going to the bar for a refill, when before they had kept an eye on you and asked if you wanted another drink. Now we tip, always have, but felt a little let down on a couple of nights with bar staff. Always had great service from Mohammed on 4th floor lobby bar, what a nice man. Maybe the staff were a little tired, they do work long hours, but last year they were much more attentive.

Room Man

We were in room 436, overlooking the lagoon and our room man was fantastic. How they can speak so many languages amazes me, his English was very good, and his towel art and cleaning and attention to detail were first class. Thank you Mustapha for looking after us so well and it was nice to be taught how to do some of the towel arts.

Lagoon

Lovely, if a little chilly when first getting in, but there had been a couple of windy days which cooled the water down. Try snorkelling over by the pontoon and bridge if you feel the sea is a little too much for you. Plenty of sunbeds, never a problem whatever time you get up.

Swimming Pool

Very clean, lots of sunbeds even later on. Nice free book exchange by the towel hut, and can change them as often as you want. Have to say though was very disappointed that the swim up bar was not open, as it was last year. They said will be open for summer season, last year was open over Easter. It was all ready to go, so please management offer this earlier, as I so looked forward to my swim up drinks, and it is not the same getting one from pool bar to take into water to sit an an empty bar, just no ambiance.

We will go back again, next year, this will be out annual flop and drop over Easter, so thank you to Aymen, Ashraf, Mohammed, Eehab and all those other lovely staff at Sunrise. Not to forget the lovely Martin in the Aldi shop.

Just finish this with if you are thinking of going to this adult only all inclusive hotel then do not listen to the professional whingers who I feel only contribute to Trip Advisor when they do not like something. I feed back good and bad, and most have been good at hotels around the world. We are well travelled, having been to 5 star hotels in Caribbean and other places, down to a 2 star hotel in Turkey and feel we are well rounded enough to know the difference between a good hotel and a bad one. Sunrise Holiday Resort is a good one, and please feel free to ask any questions about it, and I promise an honest answer. It would not take much to go up to five star from present four star, just hope if this happens does not take them out of the financial equation for most people. There have been a couple of negative reviews, but many good ones, just take them with a pinch of salt, somebody will always slate a place, usually people who expect 5 star Caribbean service for 4 star Egyptian prices. You get what you pay for, and we were happy with our holiday, as were the many others who were already talking about returning again.

Room Tip: Higher floors afford better views, BUT if it is windy they come with gustier conditions.
8  Thank Teano