“Great Holiday”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #63 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic week in this hotel. The staff are very friendly in particular Harmada, Reda and Abdeen. The shops in the hotel give better prices for their goods (you still need to haggle) plus you have the reassurance of the quality of the goods that you don't get with the shop owners in town. Richard in the jewellers (who cleaned my wife's rings free of charge and they were like new) knows his trade and is far cheaper than the back in the UK. The food was fantastic such a great choice and did not have a bad meal. My

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LincolnshireRosie
Write a ReviewReviews (4,811)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our holidays are normally self catering so we have nothing to compare the "all inclusive" hotel with. However, apart from a few small niggles which were immediately rectified (one of our beds had a very firm mattress and when we mentioned it one evening we found the mattress had been improved whilst we were dining!), we have no complaints about our two week winter warmth holiday (apart from the time taken to get from door to door!).

From the welcoming drink offered on arrival to the farewell given by the Management on our departure we were waited on by very pleasant staff of all levels.

We enjoyed all our meals - there was always something different to try and by having buffet style meals available you could mix and match. We used the beach bar for most lunches with occasional visits to Aida for lunch and breakfasts when El Sol was busy and always had prompt service. Most evenings we ate in the Arabian Restaurant as it was quieter and we could get our favourite desert in there (Omm Ali - bread and butter pudding) but did not use the Mediterranean at all even though, as Thomas Cook customers, we could have eaten there every night.

Chef Ashraf always put in an appearance at meal times to see if the guests had any queries about meals and he was always very pleasant to talk to. It was also very nice to see that he and senior management ate in the restaurant after the main rush had passed through. Although all the waiters were very cheerful and polite we would like to give a special thanks to Reda and Ayman who very quickly learned what we liked to drink and were very pleasant to talk with.

We had many questions about the staff working conditions and generally about the hotel and both Carolin and Maja of Guest Services spent a lot of time answering them.

We spent our days chilling out on the lagoon part of the beach - we were looked after very well by Ahmed each day who quickly brought us a windbreak and helped choose a suitable spot under one of the sun shades. The windbreaks also offer some privacy and if you obtain a small red flag from the beach towel store and display it on your windbreak or sun shade then you are not pestered by people trying to sell you trips etc.

Our room was more than adequate with a lovely sea view, the hotel gardens were immaculate and each day the beach area was tidied up and raked. The public areas in the hotel were also kept spotless.

We didn't participate in any of the Animation team activities but both Gemma (from England) and Afef (from Tunisia) were very friendly and chatted about their work. There was live music/singers in the lounge area on our floor on several evenings but they did not disturb us as the entertainment always finished by 11 pm.

We would have no hesitation returning to this hotel or recommending it to friends. The ability to be able to walk into Hurghada and to the marina is an added bonus and there are many taxis if you don't feel like walking or if you want to venture further afield.

Room Tip: Very few balconies are in the sun at this time of year but it is still worth paying for a room with...
5  Thank GillyB57
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Sunrise Holidays Resort from 8 - 19 February, 2013 for our first wedding annisversary. Having previously worked in luxury resorts in Europe and the Caribbean and also holidayed around the world, I am rarely impressed by hotel resorts....seen one seen them all right? Well I could not be more wrong, the Sunrise Holidays Resort far exceeded all expectations.

The hotel itself is fantastic value for money. When we arrived at the hotel, we were given welcome drinks and greeted by all staff with "Welcome Home". We were in room 503 on the fifth floor, and we could not fault it. Our room looked right out over the sea, as do all rooms. The room was equipped with a king sized bed, good sized wardrobes, refrigerator, television which had several English speaking channels, a large balcony complete with sun loungers, and the bathroom was up to a good standard. The room was cleaned daily, and it always put a smile on our face when we returned to the room after a day out on the beach or excursion, to find an animal or bird on our bed that had been sculpted out of the bath towels by the cleaning staff. The peacock in sunglasses was our particular favourite.

I had read previous reviews on here about having to get up extremely early to beat the German guests to the best sun loungers down by the lagoon. I have to say that I did not experience that at all during my stay at the resort. Each day we managed to secure our preferrred set of sun loungers in a prime location down by the lagoon and just behind the sea wall. I admit, by the time we went down to the beach after breakfast we were always greeted by German guests who had been on the beach for a good few hours already, but there were always plenty of vacant sun loungers in prime locations.

The lagoon itself is fantastic whether you like swimming or snorkelling (or just lying beside it). If you are brave enough, like my husband, you can swim under the bridge of the lagoon and out into the open sea, where the snorkelling is even better. I was not a confident enough swimmer to venture out to sea, but my husband did on a regular basis and was lucky enough to swim with the resident turtle who visits the resort on almost a daily basis. There are also 2 swimming pools on the resort, one large one, and a smaller one below. I admit, I did not use either as I prefer to swim in the sea at the lagoon.

As I said before, I have holidayed in and worked in a lot of luxury resorts in the past, so I've seen them all really....the good, bad and the ugly, but what sets the Sunrise Holiday Resort aside from all the other resorts I have been too ......are the staff. I have been to other hotels which are far more "luxurious" but the staff just don't care. The staff at Sunrise Holidays Resort are what makes this hotel truly amazing and they really made our holiday, to the extent that we were very sad to say goodbye! Nothing is ever too much for the staff at Sunrise Holiday Resorts. If you want something done....just ask. If you are not happy with something....just say...and they will fall over backwards to make sure everything is ok. Ashraf the Head Chef makes it his priority to greet the guests and to get feedback on the food served and any suggestions you may have.....and what is better....all suggestions are taken on board and acted upon immediately. Never will you meet a more passionate Head Chef. The bar staff go out of their way to make sure the drinks never stop flowing......the cocktails take some getting used to I admit...but they do the trick! Our favourite member of staff however has got to be Abdeen who serves the fresh juice. Fresh Juice and Sparkling Wine is not included with the All Inclusive Package (this is explained in the information about your room that you receive when you book in). This will cost you £1.50 a glass if you choose to buy it (which of course you do not have to as there are plenty of other drinks to choose from). Abdeen greets you every day with a smile and the shouting of "vitamina!" as he walks around the resort all day with his tray of fresh juice. Abdeen is such a great personality that he will definately not be forgotton, and made the holiday even more memorable.

Our anniversary fell on Valentine's Day and we paid for a special valentines meal that was put on by the hotel (not Thomas Cook). The meal was held by one of the swimming pools, and comprised of about 5 courses (which included Lobster), a non stop flow of wine and entertainment. We told the hotel the day before the meal that it was our anniversary, and when we turned up for the meal, was pleasantly surprised to find that they hotel had set out a special table for myself and my husband in the centre, decorated wtih flowers. We were even more surprised to find that they had specially baked us an anniversary cake. We were even called up on stage wtih the live singers for an "anniversary dance". Personal touches like this, made the holiday even more special.

Now onto the food. As I said before, Ashraf the Head Chef takes all suggestions on board, so I do not understand people on here who complain about the food. If you did not like something, etiher do not have it again or say... For dinner, there are 3 restaurants in the resort. One A La Carte (Meditteranean Restaurant) and 2 buffet restaurants...El Sol Restaurant and the Arabian Restaurant. The buffet restaurants have different cuisines every night of the week, i.e. French Cuisine, Moroccan Cuisine, International Cuisine etc. It's only on Mondays that they both have the same them cuisine which is Egyptian Cuisine. On Sundays you have the option of going to the Samba Bar next door for some free pre dinner cocktails and entertainment, before having your Roast Dinner in the El Sol Restaurant (if you don't want roast dinner, you can just eat in either the Arabian Restaurant or Mediterranean). The Roast Dinner is not exactly "how your mum makes it", but then again you are in Egypt not England. This cuisine is new to the resort and Ashraf was keen to take down tips on how to perfect the yorkshire pudding. For the 10 days that we were there, we managed to not have the same cuisine twice, by eating alternatively in the El Sol Restaurant, Arabian Restaurant and having a couple of meals in the A La Carte Restaurant (I highly reccommend the King Prawns!!). Breakfast is a repeat of the same thing every day but you have a lot to choose from, from danishes, continental breakfast, cereals, or a hot breakfast...so you don't actually have to have the same thing every day. Don't forget to check outside for the pancake, omlette and fried egg station either, freshly made in front of you.

For lunch you have a choice of eating either in the restaurant below the pool, which also on days has the option of the grilled barbeque outside, or at the pool bar if you want more of a bar lunch, i.e. burgers or pizza's.

Entertainment....every night Cancan, Gemma and the Animation Team offered caberet entertainment in the "Jungle Disco", which ranged from Comedy Nights to Belly Dancing. Unfortunately myself and my husband are early to rise and early to bed, so with the exception of the Comedy Night which we saw on the day we arrived at the resort, we did not see any of the other entertainment in the Jungle Disco, so I cannot comment on it. However, despite not going to the shows, Cancan and his team, together with all the other members of staff went out of their way to make sure our holiday was as enjoyable as possible. It was Cancan who arranged the "anniversary dance".

The hotel itself is a 5 minute walk from the centre of Hurghada where you will find all of the shops, and about a 15 minute walk to the Marina, with it's wide range of seafood restaurants. When you arrive at the hotel, you may not realise how close you are to the shops and Marina, so may opt for calling for a taxi to take you.....believe me, this is not needed. All is in walking distance. There are a few shops within the hotel complex as well. When we went on excursions, we would pick up guests from other hotels, and the main difference we could see (in terms of location) is that there seemed to be nothing around the other hotels..aside from other hotels. Not all of the other hotels were on the sea front either, and relied on a shuttle bus to take them to the beach....whereas at Sunrise Holidays Resort you just walk out onto the beach.

Overall...choosing Sunrise Holidays Resort was a fantastic decision...and we will never forget the resort or staff. I will definately be choosing this hotel when returning to Hurghada in the future, and highly recommend it.

***WELCOME HOME!***

2  Thank Charlene M
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is one of the best hotels i've stayed in, the hotel is beautiful, very clean, great facilities, lovely beach and pool, gardens very neat and tidy, brilliant choice of restaurants and food to die for. The main thing that was outstanding for me was the staff Omar on reception is so helpful and polite, the waiters, bar staff always knew when and what you wanted, so no waiting, but most of all for me Ashraf the chef, he was really genuine man and interested in your comments on his food, I could not fault it, if you wanted something that was not on the menu that night he would make it for you, ( I never had a problem, like most guests) I went there alone and my family joined me after a couple of days the staff made sure the best rooms was waiting for them with a big welcome,This hotel is great but the staff make this holiday Thank You to all the staff at Sunrise I will be coming back

Room Tip: The rooms below floor 6 have been renovated but the older rooms have a lovely deep bath, all have gr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank jacquirigby63
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just returned after two weeks at the Sunrise holiday resort and can only repeat previous reports this is such a friendly place to stay with great food which was always hot and tasty, the beach bar at lunch with fresh pizzas was excellent. All of the staff deserve a mention for their friendly attitude especially the animation team and Ayman the bar waiter for his lovely smile. The snorkelling trip was excellent and the two day Luxor trip was outstanding thanks to Ash our guide who provided so much information! The only criticism we had was that there is no quiet bar in the evening for those not wishing to listen to the resident singers, one of which was so out of tune! Mohamed the Thomas Cook rep was always on hand to answer any queries and made sure our holiday ran smoothly, all in all we had a super holiday while we were there but the flights were atrocious due to the short seat pitch cramping everyones legs, Thomas Cook Airlines don't seem to have heard of DVT!

1  Thank johnandsylv
Reviewed February 23, 2013

we came back from this hotel about 2 weeks ago, I really can't say enough good things about it, the room was a little tired, but extremely clean and comfortable and had a fantastic view of the sea, All the staff from cleaners, restaurant staff to management were wonderful, we couldn't have been made more welcome, on our arrival they all said to us "Welcome Home" very nice touch, the food was was always excellent, plenty to do for the more adventurous, the entertainment was good and varied, so once again something for everyone, we just wanted a relaxing beach holiday, but found it was only a short walk into the town, so if you like mooching round the shops its quite a fun experience, we will definately be returning, can't wait!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jennyO66
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having first visited with my wife in January 2012 and had a great time, we returned with our 'adult' children in May 2012 and were even more impressed. We had intended to return in October 2012 but I was made redundant and could not afford. Having returned to work, we have booked again for Easter 2013. The point is, in 30 years of overseas holidays, I have never returned to the same place. Selfishly, I didn't write a review earlier beacuse I wanted to keep this place to ourselves but decided it was only fair, particualrly given the couple of bad reviews posted recently that to me, descibe a completely different place. Don't go expecting 5* accommodation or facilities but do expect 5* service and friendship. I have stayed in many fine hotels across the world with first rate facilities but never experienced customer service like Sunrise Holidays Resort and to me that is priceless. The buildings and facilities are not perfect by any means but the way you are treated is. People are allowed an opinion but I do question what they were expecting given the price they had paid and that Egypt is still very much a developing country. My wife and I are counting the days until we return and hear the words "welcome home" beacuse that is exactly what if feels like.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple