Tropitel Sahl Hasheesh
Sea World(Hurghada)
$90
Hotels.com
4,072 results
All reviewsmermaid barmexican and italian restaurantstom cruisemr naguibanimation teamsahl hasheeshlobby barpalm restaurantcrazy wavesspecial thanksmain restaurantfishper weekgolf buggyfood and beverage manageramazing vacationbuffet restaurant
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had an amazing holiday at Tropital Sahl Hasheesh in Sept 2012. We travelled as a couple, aged 26 and 28 and celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst we were there.

I do a fair bit of research before booking a hotel, so knew what to expect and the hotel lived up to all our expectations.

Our room certainly had the wow factor. We were upgraded as we were on our anniversary (drop them an email before you go if you are celebrating an anniversay, honeymoon or birthday), and had a large corner balcony overlooking the pool and sea, what a view! Flat screen TV, decent air conditioning, a massive bed, a free safe and a massive bathroom with a good walk in shower completed the picture. The hotel is brand new and you can tell, everything is in really good condition.

The 2 a la carte restaurants were really nice (I wasn't a fan of the raved about ice cream bomb myself though) and we never went hungry in the main restaurant either, always a chef cooking a dish at the cooking station, plenty of choice and always hot. Maybe after 2 weeks it would be a bit "samey" but where wouldn't? We had a lovely romantic meal at the Italian, watching the fish swimming below us, overlooking the beach with a star filled sky.

We never had a problem getting drinks, apart from the one night we went to the evening entertainment, there was no one serving and we didn't get a drink the whole time we were there. We weren't too impressed with the entertainment and didn't go to the bar again, preferring the lobby bar in the evening after dinner. I'm surprised at the review saying they struggled to get spirits, that's all I drink and we never had any issues at all. A little tipping goes a long way so maybe that's why we were looked after.

The pools and pool bar were lovely, plenty of sunbeds and towels. The entertainment team try hard to get everyone involved, they had a joke with me every day that I wasn't joining in but they left you to yourself if you didn't want to get involved.

We knew the hotel was remote, and were looking for a relaxing week away, in fact when we drove through Hurghada on the way back to the airport, we were glad we weren't in the centre of Hurghada, it reminded us of Narma Bay, or Marmaris in Turkey (we have had great holidays at both resorts but that wasn't what we wanted this time).

The beach is lovely, in much need of a jetty though as we found walking over the coral difficult and dangerous, we only attempted it once. I'd suggest you buy sea shoes before you go as the free ones you can borrow aren't great. We only found out that they did a lunchtime BBQ on the beach each day on the last day, we would have enjoyed that had we have known (something to go back for!)

The one main negative for us was the shops in the hotel, they were very overpriced (£15 for a blow up beach ball anyone?) and on the last day, my husband was suffering with an upset stomach. I had read on reviews on here that the chemist was very expensive but the thought of a 5 hour flight and travel to and from the airport meant we visited the chemist for some tablets. The chemist provided 2 boxes and said it was £30. Having travelled to Egypt before, and paid around 50p for the very same tablets (kindly the concierge at the InterContinental Cairo Citystars went out in the middle of the night to find us some tablets from a 24 hr chemist, and brought them to our room, they only charged us the pennies they cost - that's real customer service for you!), there was no way we were going to pay £30 (unfortunately for my poor husband!). I know the hotel does not set the prices but something really should be done. In Hurghada the tablets were only being sold for around £5 according to some people we got chatting to on the bus back to the airport. Still very inflated prices but I could live with paying a fiver....

Would I return to this hotel? Yes, for a relaxing week away, providing they had built a jetty by then!

Room Tip: email them directly if you are celebrating a honeymoon, anniversary or birthday, you may get an upgrade.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura8192
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have just come back from 11 nights at the Tropitel (we stayed in room 5021). Our first impression as we walked through the doors was very good. The hotel was very clean and, on the surface at least, looked like a five star hotel. Our room was nice, overlooking the pool area, and only let down by a very few minor details. There were the usual dodgy electricals that you associate with any country that uses two pin plugs. In this case it was worse, because most of the plug sockets were right next to a light switch which made it impossible to switch the light on use the plug at the same time if you were using an adaptor. Also, the drains occasionally gave off a bit of a whiff, but my wife will tell you that it was probably no worse than me after an evening drinking beer. The only area of the hotel that let it down was the Shisha bar. What great potential - a rooftop terrace overlooking the sea, but covered in a marquee, and serving drinks in plastic cups. It was also the least clean part of the hotel.

The staff were generally good, particularly in the buffet restaurant (Hassan), and the guys around the pool and pool bars. The upstairs bar was a little bit less relaxed, and I never really felt particularly welcome there. Reception staff and guest relations were good, and the animations team were friendly, but a little loud as they walked round trying to drum up interest for the various activities.

The bad points:

Firstly, the food. I am amazed at all the positive reviews about the food. I will eat pretty much anything, and I certainly didn't go hungry on this holiday, BUT the quality of the food has to be measured against the ambitions of the hotel. In general the food was oversalted and overcooked, although there was plenty of choice. The meat was of poor quality, and generally quite tough, and the seafood was awful. A couple of times we had some nice beef, but otherwise it was poor. The a la carte restaurants weren't up to the standards of your average UK chain. Again, the seafood was dire, and obviously out of the freezer. My wife thought that the mexican was awful, and it certainly didn't bear a lot of resemblance to the mexican food we have eaten before.

Secondly, the drinks. We were all inclusive, and the local beer and wines were perfectly drinkable, no problem there. When we arrived and had a drink in the main bar though, it was almost kept secret that local spirits were also available. Now we didn't push this, and I was quite happy to drink the beer and wine, but the sense we had was that the hotel was trying to squeeze a bit more money out of us by getting us to pay for stuff that we could get for free, and save money by restricting what we drank. The bar "menu" indicated which drinks were free, and which were not included in the package, but made no mention of local spirits. The other issue with the bar was the lack of glassware. Several times I was accosted by a waiter asking if I was taking my drink back to the room, and begging me to bring it back. Several other times there were no glasses at all. The hotel wasn't even busy while we were there, so heaven knows what it will be like when the hotel is full.

In general we had a good time, but were lucky enough to miss the busy season. I would imagine that the busier this hotel gets, the worse the reviews will become. And don't go expecting world class food unless your idea of fine dining is a trip to a Harvester.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LukeDewdrop
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to this hotel/resort on 1st March 2013. This was a new hotel and area of Egypt as we previously have gone to Taba Heights. Tropitel is a lovely, clean hotel, the staff are very friendly wherever you go within the hotel and complex. Food is good and with a choice of Mexican and Italian restaurants, an Indian restaurant is planned to open any time soon. Special thanks to Hassan at the pool, Rika and Heleri in the Animation Team who work extremely hard and kept us laughing and entertained for our 2 week stay. To Abdu, the DJ for his fabulous music selections. The waiters at the beach bar who kept us well hydrated!! The Management team who value your comments on food items, quality of food and choice of food. They welcome your comments as to how they can improve on their service. The rooms are very clean and spacious and the room staff do a fantastic job of your room EVERY DAY. A very special thank you to the head chef and other chefs for the menu they selected and a fabulous cake they made for our brother-in-law's birthday. The meal was fantastic (smoked salmon starter, fillet steaks and longesteins and a fab chocolate birthday cake for afters). All the staff work very hard and long hours to please you during your stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NikkiEssex
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The building, grounds, staff, beach & reef are fabulous. The weather was also great. We loved our room, it's view and the restaurant. We didn't care much for going shopping so did not mind the location but others might not be so happy so far away from the action- well, anything!

We only went on 1 tour and that was the snorkelling day trip to exclusive island with Thomas cook. - don't bother - it's full of tour groups and the reef outside the hotel is just as good.

We went to only snorkel, read, sleep, sunbathe and eat. For that it was perfect. We did not attend any evening entertainment so cannot comment on the quality.

The food- well it was great. If you don't mind coconut inn every sweet dish!
The food was very German, Russian and not mediteranian which is our personal taste. It did not spoil the holiday as this was our problem not th hotels.

As with all large hotels, pastries, breads and salads were excellent. The Mexican restaurant on the sea front was not as good value as the Italian pizzeria.

I personally had a tummy bug. Their mango juice kept me alive once I could leave my room. Do not persevere with uk pills - go straight to the health suite & get their own medication- it works! I didn't but later after talking to fellow Brits realised that I should have.

We would go again to hurgada and would try the sentido as we love their hotel in Tunisia. We would recommend this hotel. It has so many great features.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Sorry all you sad disalutiond people the food was poor at best sevice average and the hotel very nice in the middle of a building site . The spa ha not a place to relax .5 star never in my life time .

• Stayed: March 2013