“Not sure how people can not return!”
Review of Jaz Aquamarine

Jaz Aquamarine
Ranked #35 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not sure how people can not return!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Amazing hotel, beautiful clean lovely people foods bit repetitive but you always get that. Beautiful rooms shocked to see them pools are lovely, drinks are good. People are amazing so friendly and beds don't taken etc I am the youngest of two daughters and we were all sad we had to leave amazing definitely go again!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank summersun101
Hany G, General Manager at Jaz Aquamarine, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberotel Aquamarine Resort to spend your holiday.
My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.
This recognition directly influences our commitment to further improvements in 2013. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Once again, thank you for your visit to our hotel, and for your feedback.

Iberotel Aquamarine Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I travelled with my boyfriend, we’re both early 20s and it’s our third holiday in Egypt and fourth in Africa. We stayed from the 26th July to the 5th August and travelled with Thomson… we’ve been home nearly two weeks and we’re both unwell still…!

The hotel itself is absolutely stunning; beautiful gardens, pools and rooms; the beach is lovely too. Everywhere is clean and well looked after and the staff clearly work hard to maintain high standards; the 5* rating is well deserved in this aspect.

Check in was quick, even though it was late at night; the staff were helpful and there were no uncomfortable silences as they waited for tips! The room was spacious and clean with complimentary drinks upon arrival.

The pool area is beautiful, there are loads of pools to choose from and the resort really is huge! We did have to wake up early for sun beds which was a bit annoying but it was worth it to have sun beds for the day! There was plenty of shade and the sun beds could be moved to where you wanted quite easily.

We had a couple of minor issues with a room with regard to plug sockets (silly I know but 3 days without phones, kindles, ipods and an iron was horrible!) – we bought the appropriate travel adaptors but they had different sockets in the rooms and the hotel didn’t have any to fit until we eventually demanded a room change and one magically appeared…!

The room was cleaned regularly and properly, we tipped our cleaner half way through the holiday but after we’d tipped him he wanted it everyday…so maybe wait until the end of the holiday! No-one else expected a tip which was refreshing for Egypt! We did tip one waiter but because of the number and size of the restaurants at the hotel, you’re very rarely served by the same person unless you sit in exactly the same place everyday.

I hate moaning but I am going to moan as the biggest let down at this hotel was the food. I’m not a picky eater and my boyfriend could happily live off chicken and chips for 10 nights but there is a huge problem at this hotel with food for English people. The hotel clearly recognises there this is an issue as they were handing out feedback forms left right and centre so in their defence they do seem to be trying to rectify the problem, which is great but our holiday is over!

Breakfast was fine – lots of choice, eggs, cereal, toast, fruit, pastries etc; breakfast would be best served as the evening meal because it was as good as it got!
Lunch: We tried the pool restaurant most days as we could never get in the beach one. We tried a couple of the things off the menu but it was tasteless and soggy…so we had chips and ketchup. We did go into the Topaz restaurant for lunch a couple of times but it was the same food as dinner time. Apparently they do sandwiches in the beach restaurant so perhaps we should have waited longer for a table there!
Dinner: Not great, nothing looked particularly appealing and was not designed for English people. The hotel put on an English nigh with chicken pie, steak etc ON OUR LAST NIGHT WHEN WE WERE TOO POORLY AND SCARED TO EAT ANYTHING! I appreciate that we were in Egypt and the food wasn’t be as good as at home and I also have low expectations of all inclusive hotels but to not be able to eat a proper meal all day is just not okay for the amount of money we paid! Especially as this is supposed to be 5*!

After 4 nights of just eating potato variations, I decided to have a salad; I was unwell for the rest of the holiday...it could be a coincidence but I’ve never as awful as I did for those remaining days! A couple of days later my boyfriend was unwell too and we’re both still suffering from stomach cramps 2 weeks later. The night before we flew home, we decided to get and Egyptian version of Imodium from the pharmacy as the flight is quite long: we both got home without any horrible accidents so I suppose they do work!!

When we spoke to the English lady Tracy who works directly for the hotel, she had an answer for everything and is clearly very well trained for dealing with complaints! Apparently to avoid being poorly you need to not have air con on, not drink cold drinks, only eat bread and rice for the first 3 days of your holiday and not drink alcohol. She even admitted that the hotel does not cater at the moment for English guests…I’d like to know why we paid the best part of £2000 for a 10 night holiday in a hotel that doesn’t cater for English people?!

The drinks were fine, unlimited soft drinks, my boyfriend said the beer was okay, I tried the wine once but couldn’t finish it. The cocktails however were quite good. Bottled water is not all inclusive which is strange; you get a small bottle each a day for cleaning teeth and drinking in the room. You can however buy water very cheaply from one of the shops nearby.

There are a few shops outside the hotel; the staff are irritating but do respond well to a bit of banter which was quite entertaining! There are no restaurants nearby which means you do have to eat at the hotel – apparently you can call the McDonalds down the road and they’ll deliver to you – we didn’t do this but we spoke to a family who had. Apart from a few shops, there is nothing nearby - there aren't any street lights either so it's a bit eerie walking outside at night especially with cars/taxis pulling up and papping their horns at you every 5 seconds!

The only other issue we had at the hotel was the man with the cart of branded alcohol. One night we had a double JD and a martini…at checkout, they tried to charge us £22 for two drinks – the man (who did work for the hotel!) had obviously changed the price after we’d signed for it and it was quite obvious he had because the ‘total’ didn’t even equal the amount he’d put next to the drinks… We had various managers speaking to us on our last day and eventually they agreed to discount it by 50% as a ‘good-will gesture’ – they didn’t actually have a price list for this so they essentially could charge what they wanted. It is definitely worth keeping a list of everything you have (mini-bar, shisha pipes, drinks etc) as everyone we spoke to had been charged for something they didn’t have when they tried to check-out.

Overall, the holiday was ruined by the food and illness. We had a wonderful time other than that as the hotel really was amazing. If the food was better, yes the hotel would be 5* and would be a really good holiday. I wouldn't recommend taking children, especially little ones, as you’ll be worried sick about what to give them to eat. Everyone we spoke to (English) had been unwell, some severely and some just slightly. To some extent you expect a slightly dodgy tummy abroad but to be as unwell as we have been just wasn’t worth it unfortunately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charl_Victoria
Hany G, General Manager at Jaz Aquamarine, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberotel Aquamarine to spend your holiday.
My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. We are extremely committed to delivering the perfect holiday experience for each and every guest.
I do apologize that we didn't accomplish this for you and we welcome any suggestions for improving and developing our service.
We are striving to improve the food buffet to appeal to our English guests’ tastes and have now introduced our “English” Gala Dinners on a weekly basis. Our general buffets are of an international variety and are not geared to any nationality in general. However our buffet content is under constant review and we worked on British buffet favorites items at our main buffets which we believe will appeal to all nationalities. We are positive that a return visit will receive a more favorable response to the overall food in general.
Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, England
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Arrived at the hotel in the evening and we were all shown into a bar where there were not enough seats for us all, some were given wet towels and some were given drinks, most of us got nothing. Not a very good start. The Thomson reps and a member of Iberotel management spoke to us all but the bar was busy and noisy and we missed some of what was being said. We were eventually shown to our room and our luggage arrived very soon after. By then it was quite late and we were exhausted so we decided not to explore the hotel. We had a late dinner in the Four Corners restaurant and called it a night.
Our first impressions of the hotel were great. It is a massive, impressive hotel complex with lots of pools, lawns, shrubs and trees. They had an army of gardeners looking after the grounds and they did a great job. The breakfast buffet was impressive too – many varieties of rolls, breads and pastries with jams, honey and chocolate spread. Lots of chopped fruit, cheeses, yoghurt, pancakes, eggs, omelettes made to order, cereals, juices, coffees, teas, etc. There was also plate after plate of sliced meats and sausages.
We paid for and received a swim-up family room. The layout of the room was not great and my son hated it. He felt he was too far away from us and, I must admit, I agree with him – I couldn’t see or hear him and he was near the exit. The room was long and narrow so you walk through your front door into what was my young son’s bedroom (small room with a sofabed), 10 paces down a corridor to the bathroom and another 10 paces to a good sized double bedroom with doors out to a small terrace and the swim-up pool. There was also a safe, a kettle and a minibar stocked with drinks and chocolates (BEWARE – these are not included in your All Inclusive). There are complimentary bottles of coke and sprite, which are not replaced but you do receive a litre bottle of water daily. Our Air Conditioning broke on day 2. We had to report it 4 times, and had an uncomfortable night’s sleep before maintenance arrived and tried to repair it. It broke down again 20 minutes after they had repaired it. We spoke to Thomsons, who contacted the Iberotel managers. The manager was very apologetic and he arranged for us to be moved into a Junior Suite, much bigger and more luxurious than our original room. Many thanks. Both our rooms were cleaned well and the guys made some great towel animals which we all enjoyed.
All three of us became ill while on holiday – my husband from day 2 and my son and I from day 3. We expected to get a slight upset stomach because of the change in temperature and food but this was so much more than that. We were all ill for the rest of our holiday and my son and I are still ill even though we have been back home for a week. Every time we left our room we had to be sure were the nearest toilets were, just in case. And it was obvious from the state of the toilets that we were not the only one’s suffering! We are seasoned travellers and are used to the sun, we avoid the mid day sun, we do not drink alcohol and we always brushed our teeth and toothbrushes with bottled water. So we can only assume that either the food or water coolers were the cause of our illness. Food was lukewarm or cold regularly. We spent the rest of the holiday being so careful what we ate, sticking to things we saw cooked fresh in front of us and avoiding any food that was cool when should have been hot. My son survived for the remaining time on plain pasta and chips. We didn’t dare eat at any of the pool snack places. Water was from water coolers with the huge replaceable bottles or given to you by the glass at the bars. There were no sealed bottles of water except for the one left daily in our room.
The Topaz Restaurant was buffet style, very busy and chaotic at lunch and dinner. Finding an empty, cleared table was a regular problem, food not replaced when empty and food was generally lukewarm or cold. Chips & pasta queues were always ridiculously long. We regularly had to wait for plates or glasses to be brought out as they were always running out. My son slipped and fell twice in the Topaz because of spilt drinks not being mopped up quick enough.
The Four Corners restaurant offered buffet service but was only open in the evening. It was busy but much quieter than Topaz. Same food selection as Topaz but much easier to find a seat and much quieter. But again food was often lukewarm.
In the restaurants, some of the staff were friendly but most were quite rude and grumpy, with some of them laughing and talking in Arabic over your heads while clearing or setting your table. They might not have been talking/laughing about you but it felt uncomfortable and unnecessary.
There were four A la carte Restaurants – Italian, Lebanese, Seafood and Asian. To visit these, you had to make a booking through the computer system in reception. Make your bookings early in the morning or it gets very busy.
We ate at the Lebanese twice and once each at the Italian and the Seafood restaurants – all were excellent. Italian and Seafood had a choice of starter, main and desert. Lebanese – hot and cold meze starters and flatbread served to you as your starter and then a choice of main and desert. Starters and mains were fresh, lovely and delicious and hot too!! If we could have eaten at the a la carte restaurants every night, we would have! Kids menus were available at two of the a la cartes we visited.
Bars in the evening – hit or miss whether you would be served. Easier to get your drinks yourself and then sit down.
Drinks during the day – water was from water coolers with the huge replaceable bottles which were often empty and NEVER cold, always just cool. Fizzy drinks from the outside bars were not very cold and sometimes flat. The drinks in the restaurants were cold and fizzy.
Pools – It did have a number of pools but not sure there were the advertised 18 unless you counted the small 30cm deep pools scattered around. The pools seemed to be cleaned regularly. Pool depth was marked clearly at the one’s we used – 120cm. Just perfect for my son.
There was a general lack of sunbeds. You had to be up early and reserve your seats with your towels or you would not get bed and definitely not get any shade. This was a problem faced by many of the holidaymakers and we mentioned it to Iberotel staff, who said they were trying to sort it out but the problem became worse over the two weeks we were there. As the heat is so intense, there needs to be many more shaded areas.
The lobby areas, the pool and our room were always clean. Glasses and plastic cups were not collected regularly from around the pool area and some glasses were left there for 3 days before been removed!
Check out process was really long and confusing. This was a Thomson’s issue and not the hotel’s. There were two flights coming to Gatwick on that afternoon and Thomson’s staff had us all meet in reception at the same time. Thomson’s staff went back and forth for over 30 minutes calling names and telling you which coach to go on. You then had to wait by the coach until they crossed your name off on their lists and your cases were packed into the coach. We were all tired, there was a lack of seating in the hotel lobby and a massive lack of information from Thomson’s staff so you were left standing around trying to work out what was happening.

Because of the illness we all suffered and still do, and because of the constant worry about the food, I would not recommend this hotel nor will we be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank meze-for-two
Hany G, Manager at Jaz Aquamarine, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for choosing Iberotel Aquamarine to spend your holiday.

Goleniow, Poland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We spent a two week holiday at the resort in July. The hotel is 5 star and perfect for all types of people... On arrival at the hotel you will not be disappointed - a fabulous looking place all lit up and very impressive. Check in was quick and easy. Cases were taken away and appeared at our room within 15 min of arrival. A massive thanks to Mohamed Hassan (for such a nice welcome and the room we asked for).
The hotel is very clean and our spacious room was kept up to a very high standard by our room attendant. Big wardrobes. Large beds. Safe and air conditioning included, Air con worked very well and we were never too hot.
The gardens are well kept. Palm trees provide a beautiful setting for drinking a cocktail at one of the many bars and seating areas.
There are 18 swimming pools to choose from and 2 aquaparks. Pools are fantastic and well cleaned. The water slides are great fun especially for children. The pool boys were very attentive helping us to find sun beds. Also we had a chance to spend some time at a Beach Cabana where the breeze gave relief from the intensity of the sun. It was well worth it as loads of shade and plump cushions. They offer camel rides on the beach of the hotel. Water sports like kite surfing are also available. The only let down to this hotel is that the beach is not good if you want to snorkel or dive but there is the option to try these kind of activities organised by travel agency. We would recommend the snorkelling and diving in the Red Sea. All equipment is provided for you, and its definitely worth doing it. Unforgettable experience! The quad biking in the desert was also good.
They have 3 buffet restaurants (including the 1 in the Bluemarine hotel on the same complex).Topaz – the main restaurant is huge and provides a variety of foods. We found the food to be really tasty and good quality for the size of the hotel and amount of guests they have to cater for. There was always something we fancied in the Topaz restaurant or in Four Corners which was more peaceful and not so busy. However, in the center of the Topaz there is an 'adults only' area, much quieter and relaxed, which we often went in for breakfast. There is absolutely no issue with cleanliness or hygiene with the food. The tables are constantly being cleaned and set. Staff are kind and professional always with smile on their face. They cannot do enough to help you. At lunch time we really enjoyed visiting the pool and beach snack restaurants where you were seated and served with an option of burgers, hot dogs, steak and onion, sandwiches and much more. ...Waiters who looked after us every night would always remember our drinks orders and they did not have their hand out for tips at all.. However we did tip from time to time. All staff were very good and are to be commended on working so hard especially during Ramadan which must surely test their skills to the limit!
We especially liked the option of being able to go to the a la carte restaurants: Asian, Italian, Lebanese and Seafood. We would definitely recommend that people make use of these restaurants. They are really very good. Starters, mushroom soup, beef and king prawns at Italian were delicious as well as lobster at Seafood. Teppanyaki at Asian was worth every penny and an amazing experience.
Overall we had a fabulous holiday, we would highly recommend the hotel. Just make sure you make use of all the facilities the hotel has to offer. We would like to thank you Abdou Mohamed and his staff who made us feel such special guests. We have never met people who are so willing to do everything they possibly can to please you. We will definitely return to this hotel again and we will not even bother looking at any other hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna P
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I came from this exellent quality hotel and I want to share my opinion.I was at Egypt 10 times always 5 star hotel and this one was the best one from all of I visited before.Everything and everywhere very clean ,looks like new one.The area is very big,lot of very clean swimming pools.All the time people working there clean everything inside and outside.Kitchen very clean and I was attending kitchen tour for that I saw everything even from back side how it looks like.The food there is delicious.Plenty fruites and vegetables.Very nice chef of the kitchen MOHAMED ABDELHADY which was very helpfull for us every time we asked for something .He told me all detailes I asked him about serving food .Hotel worthy in every respect.if You plan vacation and think about going there all I can say just go there and for sure it will be the best Your vacation time.I reccomend this hotel in 100 procent .No complain about anything there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just returned 17/08/13. Overall a very good holiday the hotel is of a good standard for an all inclusive 5 star. If you are expecting 5star such as the Ritz or Savoy then obviously you should book somewhere else and pay the kind of money they would charge. 4 of us went 2 adults and 2 children no problems with any sickness ect although be carefull with what you eat. We found that the 4 corners restraunt to be the best not as crowded and the food seemed to be better than the Topaz but even here I had to inform one of the chefs that the griddled chicken he was putting out was under cooked not just pink but raw he quickly took it out of the serving tray and continued to cook it, unfortunately for people served before me who had not noticed and had already taken it hopefully they did notice before eating it. Overall the food was ok ala carte Italian and Asian were very good. Pools and public areas excellent no problems getting sunbeds in the shade, staff on the whole very helpful and polite. As previous comments re bottled water only 2 small bottles issued in the room water fountains around the pools and restraunts but I was dubious on how clean these are on a few occasions I found that the water has a foisty taste to it. We paid for bottled water there after at £1 a bottle I do think that if beer, wine, spirits and fizzy drinks can be supplied as part of all inclusive then bottled water can be too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank paulb92
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I just returned from a stunning holiday in this wonderful hotel which offers the highest level of service.I am after two week stay with my friends and we are all very happy and satisfied.hotel is very clean ,although the area is huge and everything is in best order everywhere.Rooms cleaned every day by very good way.In a kitchen we had a chance to see everything up close as we were attending a kitchen tour.Everything shines.Very great chef Mohamed Abdelhady always smiled who will answer any question and is very helpful in explaining all the recipies of egyptions kitchen.he speaks english very well for that it was very easy to understand how they cook and make egyption food and other international.All food there is very tasty.Plenty of vegetables and fruites which we ate no worries at all.No one from our 8 team had any problems during our two week stay.Everyone who chooses this wonderful hotel will spend an amazing vacation experience at the highest world level.Every time we spend at this hotel is very succesfull.I visited Iberotel 6 times and I cant imagine to go somewhere else.Our friends which we reccomend this hotel was also very satisfied and share our opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends