“It could be so much better........”
Review of Jungle Aqua Park

Jungle Aqua Park
Ranked #49 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Scotland
“It could be so much better........”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Just returned this morning from a two week break and when I say a break I do mean a break so that's the first positive. I'll try and do this in order and try not to put anyone about to depart off too much. It might just be us......

Airport - Lots of bad press but not sure it was really valid. Yes you do get herded like cattle and yes others seem to advance quicker than you but get used to it as it will continue like that when you get to resort, not sure the Russians and Germans can help it if truth be told. Anyway, just remember to have your visa cards, English money (not Scottish notes, they didn't like them) ready and have your visa ready for the final check or the man will shout at you :-)

Transfer - It says 20mins and that was spot on, can't ask for anything better though good that it's dark as the surrounding area looks like war torn Baghdad. I wasn't ready for that but my fault and you can't complain about that, just a bit of a shock to the system. Guys loading your cases onto the bus are looking for tips, and not "don't eat yellow snow" my wife quickly tired of that joke!

Check in - Again quick and friendly, you get your room keycard and towel cards that you exchange each day for fresh beach towels. Definitely worth tipping the towel guy if you want beds at your pool or in a particular place at the waterpark. So, checked in and then you write your room number on your luggage labels and get pointed to your room. We got a bit lost though that was our fault, the guy pointed us in the right direction and we still screwed up.....the place as you will have read before is bloody huge!

Room - It was dark and it looked nice and clean, awoke in the morning and it wasn't clean, it was gleaming, aircon was fantastic and very, very much needed. Every day the room was cleaned to the same standard, tipping does get you the animal towels and the guy we had at room 1106 was a real gem, visited our daughter when she was sick, brought little flowers for her and was never without a smile and a hello. TV could be better but Spongebob in German worked for our kids and channel 26 had movies on for the adults at night. A bit more privacy would be good but we knew what we were going to when we booked it so again no complaints.

Breakfast - Fried, scrambled, omlette or boiled.....you can have your eggs anyway with rolls, croissants or toast. French toast, some frankfurters, "beans", tomato, potatoes and cereals, fruit and jams made it up. It's not great but you'll survive fine.

Lunch and Dinner - We tried, we put on positive smiles and faces but oh it was a real struggle. There is plenty of it and lots of variety, technically no reason to eat the same thing twice but we quickly moved onto pizza and chips for lunch every day and then picked at whatever we could find that looked reasonably tasty at night. I like my food, not lots of it but just decent quality and that's what was seriously lacking. You will not go hungry but I came home the same weight as I left and that's not right for two weeks on holiday, I should be on a diet now!!!!

Drinks - Coke, Sprite and Fanta Orange....all the real McCoy but too often it was warm, the mix was wrong of there was no fizz. Plenty of bottled water available and your fridge gets stocked daily. Get into Tesco or Asda before you go and get pint plastic cups, couple of quid for 10....lifesaver idea from a friend of ours as you just get small plastic cups and trust me, you don't want to keep queing for drinks! Fruit juice for the kids was ok but they tired of it by the end so maybe worth grabbing some ribena or blackcurrant diluting if they aint big on warm "fizzy" stuff.

Restaurants - First time we'd done AI so I can't compare but not my idea of dining unless I'm trying to re-enact my Primary school dinners and I don't want to queue for something to eat. It's not fun. Best meal we had was Asian Plant but it was just luck, Tarzan we found the best of a bad lot but others liked the Meditteranean, others the Kaiser. Viking is pretty much just fish and I won't miss the smell of them BBQing the fish every night.

Bars - ohhhh, where do I start. We drink lager....it was warm more times than not out of bottles, great out the tap IF the taps worked but I'd say that less than 50% of the time we went to the bar was it cold. Warm lager just aint good. Only one guy serving at the bars and whilst they do try they simply cannot get around everyone....especially when the other barman is acting as a waiter to those Germans again! Also, not enough seats and the "singer" was bloody woeful but what a laugh to watch the Russians and Poles dance, every night was Eurovision rolled in with Strictly!

Waterpark - Great for young kids, big kids and the adult kids. I heard lots of complaints about cold pools but I can only imagine those reviews were due to the time of year.....no way could I complain about cold pools when we were there. There is a huge issue though, not enough lifeguards so lots of flumes remain unopen. It's probably not dangerous in anyway but to queue for so long then for slides to be closed as you get near the front is no fun. Real shortage of rings and loads of pesky foreigners trying to sneak them back to their beds. Again, if there were enough lifeguards it wouldn't happen but it does. It is slippy around the pools was another common thread and yes, it is but it;s water and tiles....not sure what else you can do that is hygienic given the numbers going through.

Flies and Mozzies - It's Africa I thought so you have to expect it.....I reckon 1 annoying fly a day between 4 of us and zero, yes, zero mozzie bites between us all. They fumigate every day, aircon helps and we took Deet and Avon Skin so Soft as well as Boots after sun with repellent. Overkill....aye maybe but no bites means it was money well spent.

Out of the complex - Huge mall with supermarket in it with everything you could want. Ideal for something nice, chocolate, good juice, crisps and very reasonable. They also have a McDonalds....we went once, my 2nd McDonalds in 3 years I hasten to add, not something I enjoy but oh it was heavenly and worth it to break up the prison food, sorry, the hotel food. We also went to the Marina, totally stunning, meal for 4 and drinks for £40 and that was two fillet steaks, lasagne and a cheeseburger and chips. Sure Hurghada itself would be cheaper but my 7 year old had the fear of death in her eyes as she looked around out the taxi. Again, it was a bit of an eye opener, I thought it would be more "holiday resort like" but it wasn't, I'm sure it was proper Egypt and not for us. Worth going to see it though as it does get you out and about.

The People - Very friendly and accomodating, they couldn't do enough for the kids but just not enough staff and you feel for them a bit. They try but with our European friends taking the you know what and shouting at them when they feel like it (ok not all of them but I didn't see any Brits or Dutch at it) you have to wonder how long they'll continue to be nice before they just turn into any other holiday resort workers!

Recommend you: take the pint cups as mentioned earlier. Get swimshoes for the kids, our daughter didn't slide once but we saw some horrific slips and one woman with both arms in fresh plaster! Take lots of chocolate and stick it in the fridge, if you have sweet tooth the puddings won't cut it. Hand tips over, don't stick it in the jars. Tip regularly but no need to go mad on the size of tip.

I think that is it. No reason for people not to enjoy the day time but nights were tough for us and the food really was pretty poor, sorry, I know lots of people did enjoy it that we spoke to but I just can;t see how. I didn't expect sausage and mash and roast dinners and god forbid that we should go to Egypt or anywhere else expecting that but I do like good quality and good tasting grub and drinks and it just didn't manage that. I was one of those people that assumed others that moaned about the food were perhaps the Benidorm crowd, sorry you guys but you do wonder sometimes!

If anyone wants to ask me anything on it I'll try and answer and be as honest as I have been here, just go and enjoy it, we had a good break but that is the last AI we'll do as a family and the last time we'll do Egypt. Now it's time to save for next year!

3 Thank GrnkScott1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stevenage
Reviewed June 21, 2010

All in all we had a lovely break here, the hotel was lovely and clean and the vast amount of swimming pools here was amazing! We didnt actually get to see them all. The Waterpark was OK, very crowded and after a couple of days my 11 yr old was a bit bored with the slides (no white knuckle rides!)

All inclusive but where our room and swimming pool was, it was some distance to get a drink (in little plastic cups!) which was warm by the time you got back. The evening entertainment was very poor - especially for the English, they seemed to cater for the Germans and Russians which was the vast majority of the people staying here. Hence the food was also geared towards them too. We ended up eating in the Mediterranean every night as it seemed a bit safer food :-) The staff are really helpful (especially if tipped!)

We went on one excursion the submarine bottom boat which was fun but it does rock alot so if your child suffers with sea sickness then this probably wont be any good! My oldest son spent most of the time on deck feeling sorry for himself! It was good but a lot of money for what you get.

All in all we had a lovely break, but I wouldnt go back and we definitely didnt drink or eat our monies worth.

Oh and one last thing - be warned of the airport when arriving, its like a cattle market!

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2010

We booked this holiday a year in advance, with it being a new complex we were very excited then as the date drew nearer and i read the reviews on here i started to panic thinking "what have i done". We arrived in hurghada airport yes it was very bust but no worse than any other airport i had been to. After a 15/20 minute transfer with our lovely rep Mohamed we arrived and i was amazed at how beautiful this place really was, it was a bit manic again but we were too excited to really care, the reception staff were lovely and very helpful after being told by first choice that we needed 2 bungalows as there was me my husband and 3 daughers aged 11, 8, an 4 the reception staff looked puzzeled and asked why i had booked 2 rooms when they have bungalows big enough to sleep 8!!!! so i asked if we could be in 1 room they said yes no problem :) we had room 2002 right in front of the main active pool which is huge and another smaller pool behind it. We were opposite reception, to the right 2 min walk was the most amazing water park (we never had to que for the slides) there is plenty to do but it can get tireing all the walking as this compex is massive, there seems to be hundreds of pools the kids were never bored the evening entertainment could be better as yes there are alot of germans and russians, and alot of the entertainment was for them but if u made urself noticed to the animation team they would always go out of their way to include you, my children nevr felt left out, the food was fantastic and i an honestly say that if u try the different resteraunts every night you would be unlucky to get the same meal twice, the kids loved that they could just go and get whatever they wanted whenever they wanted eg icecream, pizza, chips, pop, water. This complex is with out a doubt the CLEANEST place i have ever been to, the cleaners are so hard working and everywhere is spotless. I would definately recommend tipping because when you do the staff remember you and make things so easy for you i reccomend using 10 or 20 egyptian pounds they are always very grateful and if you tip your cleaner they make animal towels for you which the kids loved, The beer is a bit suspect but again if you tip they will make you the most beautiful cocktails that arnt on the cocktail menu. We loved our 2 weeks here and the kids want to go again next year i would definately recommend this hotel, but do beware it is HOT HOT HOT please take plenty of sun lotion and enjoy and one last tip vist the island of mahmaya for the snorkeling it was the best thing i have ever done, i could go on forever telling you about this place but i think if you want english stay in england

6 Thank mikaytay
Somerset
Reviewed June 15, 2010

after booking our holiday in January i have read a lot of poor reports and was very concerned that we were in for a nightmare...........
The Airport............we were one of the last groups off the plane so we found ourselves at the back of the que to purchase our Visas (pay in Sterling £15 per person), no problem 10 mins and we had visa's, another 10 - 15 mins and we were through passport control, Tour operators were waiting just outside the terminal and directed us to our bus, 20 mins later we were in the hotel lobby, as we were a large group of 18 (10 Adults, 8 children aged 3 -12) i asked for 5 rooms close together and all starting with a number 2 (i had read that these were the better rooms and close to the main areas of the Hotel) again no problem although one room was a little further away.
Rooms were all clean and more than met our expectations, the main pool is massive and no where near as cold as some reviews make out, the Kids pool at the opposite corner to the water park was excellent, as we were a large group a few of the pool attendants reserved our sun beds every morning, they were fantastic always smiling and offering advice to make our stay enjoyable. One thing i had read was correct the tiles around the pool can become very slippery BE CAREFUL.................
FOOD .........as with all 14 day All Inclusive Holidays restaurants and food choice did become a little repetitive however there was always a good choice available, we ate out 3 times twice going to the marina and once to the Hard Rock Cafe Taxi there and back only £5 booked via reception, there are some nice Steakhouses around the Marina with a lovely relaxed atmosphere, the Hard Rock Cafe also very good the waiters doubled as kids entertainment constantly performing tricks and illusions that amused the adults as much as the little ones.
The guys selling trips around the pool could be a little irritating the best way to deal with them was to tell them you are already booked or going home in the next few days. once they get to know you they pretty much leave you alone.
Tips...........it defiantly pays to tip waiters and pool attendants etc (Tip in Egyptian not pound coins as they con not exchange the coins only £notes)
Exchanging money.......DO THIS AT THE HOTEL they have a bank in reception and the exchange rate was at least 10% better than in the UK.
Waterpark..........great fun sometimes had to wait for rings but only 5-10 mins max do not let the russians push in!!! found 1-2 hours here was enough each day so made our camp away from the hustle and bustle of the waterpark, it was only a 2-3 min walk away.
Evening entertainment was OK always in English, German, Polish and Russian not breathtaking but worth a look.
Ice creams available all day we all ate them most days and no bad tummies.
One of my big fears was the Flies as i read that they are a big problem......after two days i stopped using insect repelant as there was absolutely no insects.....in two weeks i had one bite on the back on my hand, the rest of the family had no bites at all, they fumigate twice a day and i works perfectly.
All in all GREAT HOTEL, GREAT PEOPLE , would defiantly go back

4 Thank fuzzy72
portsmouth
Reviewed June 14, 2010

had a great 2 weeks here . resort was lovely , never a problem finding sun beds , the pool felt a little chilly at first but was welcomed in the heat. the rooms were always cleaned to a high standard.with clean towels and restocked with water everyday.we found something to eat everyday even my son who is a fussy eater,( if we wanted english food we would have stayed at home)
staff in and around hotel were fantastic nothing was to much trouble for them,please and thankyou go along way.entertainment was not great for english but we spent most nights with the animation team who are the best we have ever met (they even came out to wave us off. went to the show at alf wa leila hotel next door which was a good night out and a great experience ,my husband + son went scuba diving which they both really enjoyed. overall we really enjoyed this holiday and didnt want to come home missing the hotel and everybody in it so much we cant wait to go back :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank ameyy
sunderland uk
Reviewed June 13, 2010

well here is a great start to your holiday, the airport in hurghada was beyond a joke!! honest i've never experienced anything like it ! Cattle market is the only way it can be described.The travco representatives were helpful ( your tour operator are not allowed in the airport) but thomson could have helped us more by giving us our visa cards before we landed , and yes you do need a landing card and visa and the egyptians don't like you to use english coinage at all, this was our first holiday abroad in 3 years so needless to say we were excited and apprehensive at going somewhere other than the dominican republic! but we wanted something different.so that was the arrival. finally onto the hotel great we thought!!! arrival at the hotel it looked fabulous outside, the reception was very grand and then another queue this time more forms to fill in and then you got your room key baring in mind that it was about 1030pm and we had our 7 year old son and after a 6 hour flight this was not what you wanted. eventually the bell boy took us and a group of 10 others to our rooms but no to the door he just pointed us in the direction and we were left to find it ourselves, now this complex i must say it enormous so don't let your child wander off on their own or you won't see them for a week. we found the room which was great and airy air con was a god send fridge stocked every day with water only and the room was always clean, and we had a wet room which was great, however the shower pressure kept dropping and it flooded. our luggage was brought to us by the bellboy at 1230am we weren't allowed to take it ourselves!!!
so our room was a 2 minute walk from the aqua park which was fab however A 15 minute walk to the restaurants all the way at the other end of the complex!! the food well what can i say, if your german you'll love it , if your english god help you but they do do nice chips , it wasn't hard to spot a brit with a plate full of chips and ketchup!!!
the evening entertainment and stuff for the kids after the aqua park closed was none exsistent, it was rubbish, they were showing some films on the evenng in the ampitheater that were in english - bolt, up, cloudy with a chance of meatballs which my son enjoyed.
The weather, well if you are a sun worshipper then egypt is the place for you. it was hot hot hot, the breeze was welcome. my son did get burnt whcih was awful to see and i went to the pharmacy who gave us calamine lotion which is the wrong thing for sun burn, so we went to the doctor who was absolutely fantastic with him, and it wasn;t as expensive as i thought but it was needed.
the staff are helpful but reluctant and the recetion staff lack experience.the gardeners are friendly but the spa staff get on your nerves pestering you every day. you have to pay to play pool and table tennis and the all inclusive drinks aren't all they are cracked up to be. To be honest i wouldn't go back and it's not coz of the weather or the locals , it's the germans , this hotel should make this clear in the brochures aswell as it is overrun with them and i've never been so happy to leave to go back home and speak to an english person.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed June 13, 2010

If I could it would be a 3 and half rating!
first of all is the arrival at Hurghada airport what an experience! first had to queue to get visas which are £13 or $15 each, for all! not too bad but that was because we were all english, once you have your visa its passport control, we might have been unlucky because a Russian flight landed at the same time, they have no concept of a queue! well over an hour of standing shoulder to sholder, with Russians pushing and shoving young children and pregnant women! and whatever you do put your landing card in the pasport at the photo page or you will have an angry egyptian screaming in your face, as my wife did!
20 min transfer to the hotel which even at night looks impressive, check in was good and because we were not entirely happy with our room we got it changed at nearly midnight even before the bell boy had the cases to us!
the rooms are spotless with comfortable beds and great air-con the only let down was the finish of the tiling/walls etc. seemed very rushed.
the pools are great with 16 of them and one giant pool and a mini water park for youngsters, some people have complained about the temp. but they are fine and just what you need after being in the sun! the water is on the whole very clean but the wind does get up and leaves get blown in and nobody can do anything about that!
as for the area around the pool being slippery, aren`t all hard floors slippery when wet?
the onsite waterpark is good but if you have been to some of the bigger ones across europe then dont expect anything too scary, also after about 12:30 they seem to close a lot of them for a few hours!
the whole site is kept spotless by an army of cleaners and gardners etc.
the food is pretty much all the same in all the resturants, for us english the Mediterranean suited us the most, the quality of the food is poor though, the desserts all look different but taste the same and the meat is of a low quality. there is always chips though! or you could try the outdoor bbq which offer something different, or do as my kids and eat pizza for lunch and dinner for 14 days!!
the bar and staff are great, even better if you tip them! although they do seem to have a shortage of glasses and will try and serve you lager in a cardboard cup, just tell them you are drinking in the bar and you should get a glass! the evening entertainment is normally in the tropical bar but is nearly always egyptians singing the same 15 songs in english badly, some just sing over and cd and join in occasionly! there were some shows in the ampitheatre which my kids enjoyed though.
we went on 2 excursions one was to Mahmya beach which was lovely and the snorkelling out at sea was great and not too bad at the beach. again the food they served here was really bad, and the drinks expensive compared to Hurghada!
the other was on a semi-submarine which for the non-snorkellers in my family was graet because they got too see what the rest of us already had.
the beach was my major gripe, you get a free shuttle bus from the hotel to Dana beach, but at busy times be prepared to not wait in queue, do as the germans and russians do and barge in or you could have a long wait, when you get to the beach its man made with about an inch of sand covering rock! really murky sea so leave your snorkels at the hotel! we went twice and stayed for a total of 2 hours, very dissapointing!
we went out a few times into Hurghada, once to the marina which is very nice with good value for money on food and drink, 10le for a pint! its a fair old journey which will take you through the old town which in places looks like a war zone! we didnt go there! we did go to the new town where Hard Rock Cafe is much nicer with a big selection of shops, be prepaered for some hassle and bartering.

good points:
the pools
the staff (say please and thankyou, it goes a long way)
the hotel
the rooms
the weather

bad points:
the beach
the food

we would go back to Egypt but not Hurghada.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family