“Just perfect from beginning to end: STAY HERE”

Three Corners Ocean View Hotel - Adults only
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Leeds
“Just perfect from beginning to end: STAY HERE”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Strap yourself in and get a coffee, this is a long one, but hopefully worth a read! Before deciding on a hotel, it's always difficult to make a judgement based on reviews. A lot of the time reviews seem to be quite circumstantial, or written according to a reviewer's expectations. My partner and I had never stayed at an all-inclusive hotel, and usually steer clear of package holidays in general, usually preferring a more independent style of travel. As such, I wasn't really looking forward to being trapped in a prison of people dripping with gold, red-faced beer-swilling wide boys with massive bellies, and ridiculously over-filled plates. But this time we fancied just chilling out for 10 days and being looked after. My expectations were absolutely smashed.

Sure, El Gouna (means 'lagoon' in Arabic) is a purpose-built tourist town built around a man-made lagoon that's only 20 years old, so as such the coastline, sand and water aren't exactly on the same level as Fiji or Hawaii. I also agree entirely with 'hatsharrogate' in his assessment of the evening 'entertainer,' who bore more than a passing resemblance to Vic Reeves' club singer on Shooting Stars. This is pretty funny for a short while until you realise that is actually how he's singing. He also brilliantly has CDs of himself. But for me this is where the negatives end rather abruptly...

I had been planning on proposing to my girlfriend on this trip, but being our first time in Egypt I had no idea of how I was going to do it. I decided to get in touch with the hotel to see if they had any suggestions of a romantic spot for a walk, or anything to help really. They got right behind me from the off, offering to set up a table for us on the beach terrace area with our own chef, own waiter, champagne, candles...and also gave us a lovely room (2365) with an ocean view. We were then like mini celebs! My girlfriend is also allergic to nuts, so the buffet style restaurant was a bit of a worry; every night though, the restaurant duty manager would show us round everything and point out what she could and couldn't have, so if you've got any dietary requirements you'll be absolutely fine.

Which leads me nicely onto the food. There is a different theme every night, and always a lot of choice. There were a lot of Egyptian dishes as well, which I was pleased with; I was expecting chips every night just to satisfy the masses, so again my cynical expectations were beaten. The majority of the dishes are help-yourself buffet style, but every meal time there is at least one made-to-order station where a chef is cooking things fresh, sometimes 3. On the whole the food was excellent. Should you get bored of the all inclusive restaurant, however, El Gouna's 'Dine Around' scheme gives you a discount on a whole host of other restaurants nearby. Some of these can be hit and miss though apparently, so speak to the Guest Relations desk for recommendations.

Still on the subject of food, sorry to say, if your diet at home consists mainly of ready-made packets, bland food or jars of sauce, you'll quite likely be 'running' about the place quicker than you can say 'trot like an Egyptian.' Not because there are any issues with the hotel's hygiene, which is excellent, but the food is just plain different to what we're used to. You'll seemingly experience this wherever you go in Egypt, not just here. You get used to seeing the same people around the hotel, and there were notable absentees every day, only to emerge a day or two later looking like a resurrected mummy. The single best bit of our rep's welcome meeting on day one was when she told us to get over to the pharmacy on the other side of the marina and get some Egyptian squirt tablets, just to pre-empt any unwanted bowel parties. Immodium or anything else from home just won't work, and for the sake of about 75p it'll save a lot of discomfort and inconvenience to nip anything in the butt as soon as you start feeling a bit funky. That's that over with.

The hotel's location in the lagoon is matched only by the 5* Sheraton, literally on the shore front. But unlike the Sheraton, at the very least you'll have a marina view room here. I just about made the decision to book here, over Three Corners Rihanna. Having been to both (I did a dive course at Easy Divers, which is at Rihanna) the Rihanna is located 'inland' and doesn't come close to Ocean View's location, which is stunning.

Of the 2 buildings in the hotel, we'd been recommended by a friend to get in touch and ask for a room in the main 'Le Soleil' building, where the all inclusive restaurant is. The 'Du Port' building would still have been nice, where the hotel's two a la carte restaurants are, but the 'animation team' put on 3-4 shows a week in Du Port's courtyard area and if you fancy just chilling out in your room or on your balcony you can forget it until after 10.30pm. Du Port's pool bar is great though, with four-poster sun loungers and is open in the evenings; superb. Either way, each building is within minutes of each other so no dramas wherever you end up. They will do their level best to accommodate any requests you make beforehand, and you stand more of a chance to getting the room you want if you actually ask!

So finally onto the absolute best thing about the hotel: the staff. Put simply, they are absolutely incredible. Special mentions have to go to Amira on the Guest Relations desk, who took complete ownership of my proposal efforts and helped in my quest to actually get something out of my bank (HSBC, which is essentially on a corner of the hotel!). She was great, and a real asset to the hotel - not least because she speaks every foreign language ever! Fouad, the front-of-house manager, also assisted with my proposal and was very nice. And finally, Ezak, the restaurant manager, treated us like royalty; not just because we got engaged but because him and all of his staff are just so nice! The bar staff in the main building are great, and reception always cheerful. Hani, our housekeeper, made us a series of animals out of our towels, which became one of the highlights of our day after coming back from a day lounging by the pool!

To repeat what other people have said - nothing is too much trouble for the staff and they're all genuinely passionate about making sure you have a great time, even if it's just a smile and a greeting in the hallway.

In a general sense, El Gouna is a fantastic little town and the 'owner' (who has THE most incredible house - take the hotel's free lagoon boat tour to see it) has made sure you don't get any of the hassle when out and about that you would in nearby Hurghada. It's safe, easy and cheap to get around and has plenty to do. Please go diving or snorkelling; I've been to reefs in Australia and Fiji and the reefs I went to here rank up there with both of them. We also went to the Pyramids; be under no illusions it's just up the road. We went by car - just us two, a driver and our own personal guide. You can also fly, but we actually got back before the flyers did, only left half a hour before they did in the morning and it was cheaper. We had to leave at 3am (!!) but managed to sleep for most of the journey; this was absolutely worth it to see arguably THE most famous site in the world.

If you're still reading, congratulations. We would never normally go back to the same place but are already looking to book again for next year. If you take notice of only one thing I've said, refer to the title. Stay here.

Thank you so much to all the staff at Ocean View. You have converted a once snobby traveller!!

5 Thank jayweir90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
milton keynes
Reviewed September 19, 2009

we have just returned from a 10 day trip and cant wait to go back. we normally go on holiday for our wedding anniversary, we told the hotel via email that we had a special day while on holiday and when we arrived there was water in our fridge, a big fruit platter and a huge cake waiting for us in our room. our room overlooked the marina and was lovely (once i worked out how to get the shower water hot). The food was great, something for everyone and the staff were always helpfull and friendly. we stayed in the main Soliel hotel and the pool there is a little deep if you can't swim, we found the double beds at the du port pool where the water is not so deep and gently slopes and gets deeper. the bar staff at this pool were lovely and if you give them a small tip they will bring your drinks to you if they are not too busy. we went on two trips, the galatea snorkling, and the submarine trip, these were both great but I must advise that when you are out on the sea for any length of time you must put sun cream on more often as i got quite burnt. My husband and I both had an upste tummy but our rep Julia was fantastic, she told us to go to the local chemist and they gave us pills that worked really well. all in all we both felt that ten days was not enough and that we wanted to stay longer, so as soon as we can, we are going to book for two weeks next September, although i do hope that they have an entertainer that can sing as well as play guitar, the one there now just mumbles and you can hardly understand him. Fantastic hotel and holiday if you dont want to be surrounded with kids.

6 Thank punkbabe
Nottingham
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Just returned having spent a week at tcov and can I say you can't fault this place. The location of the hotel right on the Abu Tig marina is lovely. The hotel consists of two blocks. Soliel which is the main block of the hotel and DuPort. Our room was in DuPort and Sayed our house maid left us wonderful towel art on our bed every day ranging from a huge big crocodile and elephant to flowers. I tell you nothing was ever too much trouble for that man and he is so polite.During the day we tendered to stay around the DuPort pool and so we have to mention Tamir behind the bar ( Spitting image of Boycie Only Fools and Horses fame) that guy never stops bringing you drinks and not to mention his Arabic speaking classes lol. He taught Karen a new phrase every day. I suppose there maybe one slight gripe about the pool is there aren't enough sunbeds so they are at a premium so you have to be early to get one especially the four poster ones. We where really lucky we had Karens dad Barry with us who was always up and about at the crack of dawn.

Now I know when you book all-inclusive like me you are a little bit aprehensive especially about the food. No need to be here the selection is great well presented and the desserts are to die for. There is something for eveyone at all meal times so you'll never go hungry. Must mention Ezak, Mustafa (bon appetite lol) Ibriham and Nermin who all made meal times so much fun and these guys are so friendly.

Peanuts Bar!! now you must do Peanuts bar especially Tues Karoke night and a small tip the baskets of monkey nuts are not only for eating you must throw them at Sayed the waiter. When we first got there we would shell the nuts and put the shells in the ash tray on our table. Oh No this is not the way Sayed came and emptied them on to the floor. You must chuck your shells on to the floor. Another great night we had was thurs Dj played some cheesy tunes for arms in the air sway from side to side dancing lol. Big thanks to Simon and Lesley from essex you were great fun to be around.

There are just so many things to do and Elgouna itself is just a magical place. I know its in Egypt but its like no other place I've been in Egypt. Its hassle free if you don't want to go into a shop your not hassled to do so, a simple no thank you and on you go.

Here are my top ten tips to do during your stay in Elgouna:-

1) Sun Set Dessert Safari either by Quad Bike or Sand Buggie
2) Mahmaya- Giftun Island boat trip
3) Snorkelling off the pier at Zeytuna Beach
4) Paragliding Orange Concept
5) Lagoon Boat trip
6) Tok Tok or a Tuc Tuc
7) Shuttle Bus to Downtown (Especially the ones all lit up at night
8) Marina Party Fri or Mon Night
9) Smoke the shisha pipe (water pipe)
10) Horse riding along the beach Sun Rise

The list is endless there is so much to do or if thats not your thing you can just relax and bathe in the glorious sunshine 40+ degrees most days.

Great Location, friendly staff had a wonderful time

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank barbz0466
LONDON UK
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Just came back from a weeks stay at the Ocean View. We paid 425 pounds for a weeks all-inclusive and flights from Gatwick.

Must say that for the price you will not get a better valued holiday. Whilst the rooms do not possess any real 'wow factor', they are a very good size, clean, and comfortable. There are 2 blocks to the Ocean View - the Soleil, and the Du Port. They are about 150 yards apart. The Soleil is where the main dining area is, although you can also have breakfast at the Du Port area. We originally stayed in the Soleil apartments, having asked and received a Marine View room with Balcony. The downside with this room was that it was right next to the bar (peanuts bar) where the music emanates quite clearly to the room. Also, the air-conditioning was extremely loud. After 3 nights of restless sleep, we asked to be moved, and were moved to a room in the Du Port lodge.

These rooms are much nicer, and slightly larger. We also found that there were many more TV channels, and the air-conditioning was a lot more quieter.

Both areas have pools. The Soleil is the more lively and much more crowded whereas the Du Port is more relaxed and also has fantastic 4 poster beds to lounge on. Unfortunately (and this goes for both pools) despite signs specifically forbidding the reserving of sun lounges, this is ignored by the typical English and German guests, meaning you have to get up at around 6am to reserve your lounge. Although the pool staff are very helpful in providing additional lounges(when there are any left) you are either inevitably squeezed in between other lounges, or put somewhere in the shade, where no-one else wants to be.

The food, I must say was fantastic. Whilst breakfast never changed (lets face it, how many people have that much of a varied breakfast at home anyway!) there was always something different for lunch and Dinner, and the quality was very good.

Anyone looking for a low cost holiday cannot go wrong here. If you are looking for plush 5 star hotel with wow-factor rooms, then pay a lot more and stay at the Sheraton. Otherwise, enjoy the Ocean View – we certainly did.

4 Thank PLUGGER
harrogate
Reviewed September 8, 2009

El Gouna is exactly what it says it is, just a place to go and relax in the sun. I have been before but this was my first visit to the Ocean View. I will start with the only negative. Tthe hotel entertainment (night) is awful. A Dutch singer and his guitar really not woth listening to.

I have read that the food is not up to much, well yes, it is a buffet style lay out and yes breakfast is the same every day, but as all inclusive deals go, I had no complaints with either the variety or the quality of it. Don't be put off by negative reports. The food was good enough for us to eat 3 courses most meals.

Everything else about the hotel is what you would expect from a hotel in Egypt. Clean, comfortable, with very helpfull staff. Suffice to say that if I do go back to El Gouna then the 3 corners would be a hotel I would stay at and look forward to doing so.

3 Thank hatsHarrogate
merseyside
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I had a weeks stay at Three Corners Ocean View with my partner at the end of August - what a fantastic holiday. The hotel and location were both excellent -- staff were pleasant and helpful, the rooms were a good size and clean. We had a choice of two swimming pools as the hotel is split into two buildings we found the pool at the Du Port block the quietest. Food was good and there always seemed to be lots of choice - desserts are yummy. We would holiday there again and are hoping to book for same time next year only this time for longer. If you are reading this as you have just booked your holiday there believe me you will impressed and have a fab time. When you are out and about around the harbour you will be impressed by the boats take time out go for a drink or two at Moods bar you will be assured of a warm welcome the staff are very friendly and the view is fantastic.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lin44Merseyside
yorkshire, uk
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Just returned from El gouna yesterday and what a lovely place. The most pleasant staff i've ever met and this was in the middle of ramadan too! The fella's couldn't do enough for you.

Didn't realise just how quickly you get used to the heat- it's not that bad! 45c Pah bring it on!

A perfect place to laze by the pool or join in with the activities if you want. Two pools so if you want silence go to Du port.

Food was pretty good, did get monotonous after 2 weeks so ate out a few times. Tne marina is beautiful and yoiu can spend ages gazing at the yachts.

You must have trip to the snorkelling sights, the most amazing sea life and if you're lucky you'll see dolphins and sea turtles. The desert buggies trip is also fantastic for those with a streak of adventure.

Photo's dont do the place justice. But you can make your own mind up. I'd definetly go back and i've never said that before.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends