“Excellent choice in El Gouna”

Steigenberger Golf Resort
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We only stayed for a few days, but had a very pleasant stay. Friendly staff, very good food and nice rooms, clean and spacy. We had one of the executive suites, with two bathrooms, ideal with children.
The hotel is frequented by pleasantly behaving people (at least during our stay), and even although many children are amongst the guests (including ours), you will not have the feeling of being in a noisy kindergarten. We heard from other guests who tried several hotels in El Gouna, that this hotel is one of the best regarding the food, but before giving comment and relying on hearsay, we would prefer to try the other hotels first (Sheraton, Club Med, Movenpick, Sultan Bey etc)...If we can resist booking at this hotel again :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Steigenberger Golf Resort

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was lucky to stay at Steingenberger hotel last March .the hotel is located in Gouna on a an island it overlooks the sea .the room was huge and it has a lovely terrace overlooking the lagoon .the breakfast was great with all kinds of cheese ,fruits and bakery .they have a great health club which you can use free of charge .they have great people for massage with different types of massage that suits each person in the way that he or she likes. I would greatly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor the view on the lagoon is lovely
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just returned today from a 3 day vacation in El Gouna, this was my second stay in Steigenberger.I booked a family room, which was great. Spacious with a small kitchen with a big medium sized fridge and microwave. This allowed me the space to shop and drink my own beverages instead of buy from the hotel, also allowed me to use freeze my drinks for my family for use in our morning adventures.

Rooms: spacious, clean but there are some cheap stuff like the microwave, which is tiny, kettle was also horrible. TV was a flat screen but too small for room.

Pool: not that great, pool could be bigger, was often crowded. They do have a separate kids pool, which is good. An ancient Jacuzzi is also on site but is dirty and does not function properly. Worst thing about pool area is towel policy. You have to wait for a not so friendly man to get you the towels, he often disregards your request and is clearly not happy when asked for towels.

Dinning: I booked B&B, breakfast was really good, nothing negative about it.

Service: Horrible for a 5 star hotel, had to call reception twice to get some help with the safe, they never sent anyone, I eventually managed to sort the problem out myself.

Bell captain: I waited for almost an hour before someone picked up my bags, I had no choice but to wait since I had a lot of luggage, a bad knee and room was on second floor.

Golf: Did not play but the course looked great and players were happy

Kid's club: horrible attendant who had no clue about child care. Had a big fight with my wife and several other mothers. She was very rude. We never sent our child to the club after that experience.

Overall, worth staying in, just try to avoid regular contact with the staff, service is not good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fozio
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Generally speaking the hotel itself is very nice. It is clean, well maintained, the food is nice and it has the facilities you would expect. They have WIFI but you have to pay a rather unreasonable amount for it, not something I expect in this day and age.

Now to the service, during our first breakfast there we no bowls in the dinning area, we had to ask 3 members of staff for some, all of who vanished into the kitchen area and never came back....day 2 breakfast, the same no bowls and no milk, again when we asked for these things, the staff were sucked into the kitchen's black hole never to return....

On our last day we wanted to organise some transport around El Gouna town for a look around so the front reception staff said they would book us a taxi or Taf Taf, in advance so we didn't have to wait around. The transport was 20 minutes late so we went to reception to see what was going on, when we questioned the delay, we were met with unfriendly and blank expressions followed by shrugging shoulders and the response "it's not the hotels transport company so we can't do anything about it, if it's not here it's running late", 45 minutes later and still no transport, this was followed by "there's nothing we can do if it doesn't turn up", again we were met with unfriendly and blank expressions and no apology, as according to them it wasn't their fault. We ended up walking out of the resort and flagging down our own taxi within minutes. I would strongly recommend to organise everything yourself here and not rely on the hotel.

While I understand the hotel does not own the transport company , they should not be recommending it to guests if they know they are so unreliable and then fail to accept any responsibility for the company they've recommended. If they had simply told us to walk out of the resort and flag a taxi this whole unpleasant scenario would have been avoided.

On check out, we met the same reception staff that dealt with the transport fiasco. There were no smiles, no thanks for your stay and no comment cards interestingly enough....

This certainly is not the service or attitude of a 5* hotel in my opinion, the Manager certainly needs to sort out his staff with some customer servies and complaint handling training and teach them how to smile.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luv2holiday_12
Reviewed October 3, 2012

this hotel has the best deal in gouna, because of its location which is a bit far from the gouna center compared to other hotels, yet all of Gouna is a 5 min drive.
the rooms are spacious with a nice balcony and clean bathrooms.
They have a great service, however it was strange for me to pay 10 EGP everytime i needed something from the room service as a delivery charge!!!
I had a bad experience with a dirty bed cover that smelled, but they came and changed it right away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karimhendi
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Overall, the hotel is nice, big and clean rooms, average facilities, food is good, but they have no idea what service means!!! Come one guys, this is a 5 stars hotel, a smile to the guest won't hurt you. Over the breakfast, I asked the waiter for coffee and he was annoyed as if I insulted him, the day I arrived, I asked the receptionist for a tel. No. Of a place I wanted to go to in el gouna and guess what? I'm already on my way back home and still waiting for this number!! So if u go there just don't expect much from the staff and you will be fine

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had nice time with family and kids, enjoy pool sun and el gouna weather. Clean air quiet easy access to marina, downtown and sea.
Food is excellent half board basis, many varieties.
Golf view is amazing with lagoon boat shuttle

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family