“First time in the Red Sea”

Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
UK
“First time in the Red Sea”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I booked this week direct with the hotel and was offered a very good rate. I looked at the movenpick as well but they just offered the standard rack rate. We booked half board as we were just looking for a week of sunshine and relaxation without even having to think about where to eat.

Although the hotel was designed by an award winning architect, we were distinctly underwhelmed by the design. The colour scheme of terracotta with strong blue/green painted door and window frames was not appealing. The check in was efficient and friendly although we were given a twin room when I had booked a double. I didn't argue though as we were just too tired. The room was a bit of a disappointment - functional I think is a fair description and certainly not 5*. I have stayed in far better 4* hotels in London although I recognise that standards are not universal. We also had a bit of trouble with the door - on one occasion it wouldn't lock then on three separate occasions the key card wouldn't let us in. Fortunately, there are telephones linking to the main reception around the grounds and it was sorted quickly although we never found out why it was flashing red. It was nice having a balcony with sunbeds and overlooking the lagoon.
I not sure why, but we both didn't sleep particularly well (the pillows were not very comfortable). The air conditioning didn't help as it was quite noisy.

The guest relations were not very helpful. We picked up a leaflet about an opera that was being screened live in el gouna and combining it with the dine around programme but the gentleman behind the counter seemed clueless about it. In the event we were told the wrong time for the opera and missed half of it.

I had asked for a quiet room but we were a bit horrified at the length of time it took to get to it by luggage cart, however, there was a cut through and we timed it as a 6 minute walk from the room to the miramir restaurant which was great. Although it looks like a warren, you are never too far from the main hub.

Breakfast and dinner although not fine dining, were acceptable for a buffet and we both found something different we enjoyed each night. We used the dine around to eat at the movenpick one evening to check it out and while I preferred the food at the movenpick, my husband preferred the sheraton!

It is a shame that there is not a sunny area to sit out and have a drink in the afternoon by the restaurant, it was quite shady and we were bothered by flies. The beach area overlooking the lagoon however, was pleasant and although the sand wasn't very good quality (some stones mixed in), each pair of sun beds had a whicker screen and parasol and a station where clean towels were bought to you. There was also a small bar on the beach were you could get lunch and drinks.

We used TGI diving twice for snorkelling trips out to the reef. It was quite cheap - £10 for two hours but both times the trip fell somewhat short of the time we were meant to be out. We saw dolphins the first time we were out and the second time (not the first...) we had a short tour of the reef which was so much better than just being left to get on with it.

Overall, we feel that what we paid for the holiday was about right. I thought we were getting a fantastic bargain initially but the old adage "you get what you pay for" probably applies here. The hotel was very quiet and seemed to be frequent more by Egyptians rather than Europeans; the opposite of the movenpick in fact which had lots more children and a very lively atmosphere - Something to bear in mind when booking the hotel.

Overall, we got what we wanted: a relaxing time, sun and a bit of snorkelling.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lagoon have a lovely outlook.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Islam M, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Navybluebiplane,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments. I am very happy to understand the money of value was met. I thank you for bringing some areas of improvement to our attention. Please ensure that they will be shared with the head of department concerned in order to tak eth eneeded recovery actions.

Meanwhile I remain available for any other comments. Looking forward to welcoming you again to show you that we can do better.

Islam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed here for a week in February. We were booked into Fanadir hotel but saw what we thought was a great deal on Booking.com for a Sheraton hotel. El Gouna is just beautiful and the gardens at the Sheraton are lovely we had a room with a big balcony overlooking the Lagoon and Red Sea.

Check In - The staff were great. Very friendly and efficient no problems here.

Room- Nice enough room but by no means 5 star. We have previously stayed at Sheratons in America and I know that Egyptian 5* is different but I would class the room as a 3 star. The balcony and view were fantastic and yes the room was clean but def not 5 star.

Food - We ate dinner here on our first night in the A la Carte (Italian) The food was pretty unappealing and quite expensive compared to other places. Minestrone soup was luke warm, Pasta tasteless and pizza like cardboard. Waiters here vere very friendly. Breakfast had the usual cold meats, cheese, omlette station. However the staff here really let the place down. Surly, not pleasant and at times very rude. Not helpfull at all.

The day we were leaving my Husband dropped 2 £50GBP notes we think at the cash changing machine or at reception which was not handed in, Im not saying a member of staff took it, it could be another guest but it did put a dampner on the stay.

All in all please visit El Gouna it is beautiful but stay at one of the other hotels, Ocean View, Fanadir look nice. And eat at some of the many restaurants, The Captains Table, Puddleducks and The Turkish place are all excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shona&terry
Dear shona&terry,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your overall stay and thankfull for your observations about the ares of improvement highlighted in your review.

I will communicate the shortfalls to the Heads of Departments concerned in order to take the needed recovery actions.

Meanwhile I remain available for any other comments.

Regards and hope to see you again to show you that we can do better.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The reviews written here about this hotel are fantastic, but this is not the case according to my experience which was not pleasant at all. When checking out, i was not asked about my stay, but was sent an email with a link to a survey. My replies are not far from the review below, to which i get an apology, which is good yet i still feel i have to share my experience since the over experience was way below my expectations for a "5 STAR" Hotel.

The Good:
- Rooms are spacious
- Child Friendly hotel - although some couple were taking it far with the public display of affection
- My kids had fun, not because of the hotel, but because they found their friends staying there as well.

The Bad:
1. No Valet Parking - maybe its not a big deal, yet after driving for 480KM, every extra inch is a big deal to the driver (me)
2. The first room we were offered was rubbish, yet the front desk person was very helpful in trying to find something for us. After one hour and three more rooms we had to "settle" for something we were not entirely happy with - but we were exhausted.
3. All rooms that we were offered had to no ramp, and we have new born with a stroller, so we had to carry the stroller a few times every day - very inconvenient.
4. The rooms are spacious yet dated, with the terrace in a very bad condition. The sun-beds seemed a 100 years old, and just dirty (the cloth is filled with spots and sun burns).
5. Bathrooms: Far from a 5 star property, again its quote dated yet that is not the problem; the problem is with amenities: (in all 5 star hotel i have been to the following was always present: SANITARY BAGS - Weight scale - Shower Caps - Bath robes and Slippers) - also the water pressure from the sink's faucet was appalling, same as the drainage.
6. There is no cable TV in the rooms, nor any indications that there are internet in the rooms. We were advised that there is a free connection in the lobby, but we were not told about it being available in the room. I could not find a match, paper, pen or a laundry bag in the room as well...
7. The breakfast is not that bad, yet with a five star hotel, i would expect more than three types of cheese, more pastries & dessert to chose from...etc. Coffee & Tea were just rubbish - its worse than the stuff you get on airplanes (economy class) - or even buses...

The UGLY:
-The one thing that really got me mad was the attitude of the front desk staff prior to departure. 20 hours before our check out time (yes TWENTY HOURS) we get a call from the front desk asking when would we want the bell captain to pick our bags up, to which i replied we will call you when ready. The following morning, i get another call from the front desk asking the same question, to which i replied, when we are ready we will call. 30 minutes later, house keeping was knocking on my door asking the same question again, to which i through a fit and asked them to tell me if they want to throw us out of the hotel. I understand that they want to empty the rooms as early as possible, but the way it was done was just rubbish. i had not felt un-welcomed like this ever before in my life, and i have travelled a lot and stayed in better hotel (and a couple of bad ones as well).

Overall, i think the experience was not that bad (except for the last point which left me infuriated with the whole experience) , but certainly not a 5 star experience - far away from it. Would i stay there again? honestly, i don't know, but if i do; my expectation will be different.

Room Tip: don't accept the first room they offer you.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MohamedElEzaby
Islam M, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear MohamedElEzaby,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. Please let me seize this opportunity to extend my deep apology for not meeting your expectations.

The shortfalls listed will be shared with the heads of departments concerned to take the needed recovery actions.

Please rest assured that the satsifaction of our guests is our ultimate goal.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Sheraton and it didn't disappoint. The staff are excellent, all very friendly and attentive, in particular the staff in the bar in the evenings, they were great.

Our room was spotlessly clean. The pool area is lovely, (except for the Christmas music which was played, but they were happy to turn that off when we asked!) The location is great, just a short tuk tuk ride away from both the Marina and Downtown.

The only criticism would be the quality of the lunches, we ended up getting a tuk tuk into the marina most days and having lunch out.

Overall, this hotel is great value for money and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SJBMB,

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Yuor comments about lunch will be shared with our chefs in order to have a detailed liik into it. Meanwhile it is a great pleasure to welcome you again.

Cairo
Reviewed April 7, 2014

it is a very good hotel, we enjoyed our stay there,the food is great the location is great,the stuff are helpfull my only concern that there are no night activities every day.overall i can give it 8 / 10

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mohamed A
Dear Mirage_81Cairo,

Thank you very muvh for your review. It gives great pleasure to understand that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon

Hereford
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in March and we had the most wonderful relaxing and chilled out holiday ever. The beach front room meant we could just fall out of bed and spend the day on the beach walk a few steps to the beach bar for drinks and lunch he take a tuk tuk to the Marina for an evening meal.The reception staff were excellent and sorted out any problems or requests we had very quickly.Yes it was quiet particularly in the evenings but that suited us as we just wanted a relaxing time. We did take a trip on a catermaran one day and snorkelled then drank champagne on board which was a fabulous end to the holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ed_Beck,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments. I am very happy to know that you and your husband had a memorable stay with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We visited Sheraton Miramar early of March 2013 for a week, everything was meticulous and functioning perfectly.
Our room was modern, spacious, and spotlessly clean. The breakfast was heavenly. Not just in terms of quantity but also presentation, taste and quality.
Everyone at the hotel works to get your satisfaction, highly qualified receptionists, the location is spotless, We will use Sheraton Miramar again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martin n
Islam M, Deputy General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear martin n,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and it will be great to visit us again and become a repeated guest.

See you soon
#5 of 18 in El Gouna
Hurghada Marriott Beach Resort
Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Steigenberger Golf Resort

Been to Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna? Share your experiences!