I booked this week direct with the hotel and was offered a very good rate. I looked at the movenpick as well but they just offered the standard rack rate. We booked half board as we were just looking for a week of sunshine and relaxation without even having to think about where to eat.
Although the hotel was designed by an award winning architect, we were distinctly underwhelmed by the design. The colour scheme of terracotta with strong blue/green painted door and window frames was not appealing. The check in was efficient and friendly although we were given a twin room when I had booked a double. I didn't argue though as we were just too tired. The room was a bit of a disappointment - functional I think is a fair description and certainly not 5*. I have stayed in far better 4* hotels in London although I recognise that standards are not universal. We also had a bit of trouble with the door - on one occasion it wouldn't lock then on three separate occasions the key card wouldn't let us in. Fortunately, there are telephones linking to the main reception around the grounds and it was sorted quickly although we never found out why it was flashing red. It was nice having a balcony with sunbeds and overlooking the lagoon.
I not sure why, but we both didn't sleep particularly well (the pillows were not very comfortable). The air conditioning didn't help as it was quite noisy.
The guest relations were not very helpful. We picked up a leaflet about an opera that was being screened live in el gouna and combining it with the dine around programme but the gentleman behind the counter seemed clueless about it. In the event we were told the wrong time for the opera and missed half of it.
I had asked for a quiet room but we were a bit horrified at the length of time it took to get to it by luggage cart, however, there was a cut through and we timed it as a 6 minute walk from the room to the miramir restaurant which was great. Although it looks like a warren, you are never too far from the main hub.
Breakfast and dinner although not fine dining, were acceptable for a buffet and we both found something different we enjoyed each night. We used the dine around to eat at the movenpick one evening to check it out and while I preferred the food at the movenpick, my husband preferred the sheraton!
It is a shame that there is not a sunny area to sit out and have a drink in the afternoon by the restaurant, it was quite shady and we were bothered by flies. The beach area overlooking the lagoon however, was pleasant and although the sand wasn't very good quality (some stones mixed in), each pair of sun beds had a whicker screen and parasol and a station where clean towels were bought to you. There was also a small bar on the beach were you could get lunch and drinks.
We used TGI diving twice for snorkelling trips out to the reef. It was quite cheap - £10 for two hours but both times the trip fell somewhat short of the time we were meant to be out. We saw dolphins the first time we were out and the second time (not the first...) we had a short tour of the reef which was so much better than just being left to get on with it.
Overall, we feel that what we paid for the holiday was about right. I thought we were getting a fantastic bargain initially but the old adage "you get what you pay for" probably applies here. The hotel was very quiet and seemed to be frequent more by Egyptians rather than Europeans; the opposite of the movenpick in fact which had lots more children and a very lively atmosphere - Something to bear in mind when booking the hotel.
Overall, we got what we wanted: a relaxing time, sun and a bit of snorkelling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna is built on the most magnificent site, spread over 9 Red Sea islands and is designed by the world famous architect, Michael Graves. The award-winning architecture is inspired by ancient Egyptian designs. The unique seafront setting of the resort with the dramatic backdrop of desert mountains, crystalline lagoons, wooden bridges and lush gardens gives you the sensation of being in another world. Perfectly suits family holidays, romantic holidays, Weddings, honeymoons, meetings, seminars and incentives ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Miramar Hotel El Gouna
- Sheraton El Gouna
- Sheraton Miramar El Gouna