“Best place to stay in central dahab/lighthouse area! I'll be back!”

Alf Leila Boutique Hotel.
Ranked #4 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Dahab
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Ok I was looking around all over andd this is one of the best hotels period. You will assume it's one of the most expensive too because of it's location, design and accommodations.

I am a freediver of the bluehole and was with other freedivers too looking for a place to stay because we took the instructor course with Freedive Dahab. We got a nice deal per room and because we had such a good time all freedivers will have a very NICE room rate going forward.

Perhaps the best part of the stay was the staff, including Saif the manager. They are all cool people. If you need them to cook for you they have a nice kitchen and dining area that can be used! Or , if you want them to cook food for you they can do too just tell them what you would want and the price will be good also.

I'll be back and will stay there a month next time with a special monthly rate!

P.S. After a day's diving please enjoy the Bedouin lounge arranged with nice sofa matts where you can relax with some shisha!

Room Tip: I was able to get permanant Freediver Rates 4 all!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Me and my friend were at this hotel 3 weeks. We are wery satisfied with the clean nice rooms. The staff is sooo friendly. The best hotel in Dahab.The prices are one of the lowest! :)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrejR
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Alf Leila is a truly beautiful hotel. It is clean and comfortable and the staff are very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I am writing this review with mixed feelings. The Alf Leila is a beautiful hotel and the hospitality of the management and staff is amazing. What is lacking for this hotel to become a very good one is the small things, the touches that make the difference. I call it professionalism. To stay in the Alf Leila sometimes reminded me more of visiting a friend (you know where the coffee is-thing), rather than staying in a hotel.

Some examples: the coffee and tea-service is free for the guests, but the tray in my room was never filled during my nine nights stay. Normally, I expect that what is taken is replaced the next day, but nothing happend. Furthermore, no change of sheets in nine nights. No cleaning in fridays without someone telling me. No cleaning the day I happend to need my room for the exact ten minutes when it was time for it to be cleaned. I walked to the beach and expected the room to be done when I got back. It was not.

The design of the hotel is very relaxing and things are reasonably clean. In the website it is stated: 'All [room] have access to a private balcony or the beautiful courtyard'. My room (Mint) was pretty small (esp. for a nine nights stay) and did not have a private balcony or any outdoor privacy at all. As a woman travelling alone, I sometimes felt the need for somewhere to sit outdoors, in my swiming suit or having a beer. I did not feel comfortable doing these things in the (amazing) public area of the hotel, mainly out of respect for culture. Other guests who share these 'needs' with me, make sure that you will have a balcony room.

As for the breakfast, the continental is quite ok (god bread!). But the staff are willing to offer you an Egyptian breakfast (no extra charge, they would not let me!) and now we are talking! Lots of salads, falaffel, fresh Egyptian bread in the Arabic surroundings. Very nice indeed!

The AC, fridge, water and toilet worked very well. The Wifi is free and can sometimes be unpredictable, but it was never down for a whole day. There are face masks, snorkles and fins to borrow for free.

The next door bakery is ideal for picking up a sandwich for lunch or having real Italian coffee. Mabye a bit expensive, but very convinient. There is a bazar where you can by water etc just across the road. The traffic did not disturb me. The mosquitos are terrible. Bring your own net!

The Alf Leila has no pool. That's a misprint in the Lonely Planet.

The reason why I would not recommend this hotel is that I know that most of my friends would lack the privacy, which I lacked. It is not that I think the hotel is bad.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank AnneliUppsala_Sweden
Ummsalma, Manager at Alf Leila Boutique Hotel., responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

Thank you very much for the review. Since April 2011, Alf Leila has been under new management. We've looked through the comments on Trip Advisor and they've been really useful in deciding where we need to make changes. We've taken on board everything you have written - however, needless to say most of these things we had implemented before reading these comments!! Of course it is very important that coffee/tea is refilled daily. We also clean the rooms daily, refill the minibar and change the sheets every 2/3 days or at the customer's request.

You are right indeed that Mint has no private balcony and that the hotel doesn't have an area for private sunbathing. You are right that culturally it is not quite right to do so in the public areas of the hotel but please do ask us for local info & the best places to relax in the town. There are busy places and quieter places --- and places very close where you can relax with a beer by the sea.

The Lonely Planet is not wrong in saying that we have a pool -- we have a dip pool in the courtyard. However it seems that previous managers of Alf Leila did not have it functioning as such.

Hopefully one day you might decide to come back and see how we, the new managers, are doing.

Kind regards & happy travels.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

The hotel is overall nice: pretty inner courtyard, arabic room design, not too large rooms, but decent.
My problems with our stay were not something difficult to solve, so I don't want to write a bad review. My wish is to bring this matters forward so that the hotel could fix it.

The biggest problem are the mosquitos. We couldn't sleep bcs of it, and killed about 20 in the middle of the night... The nets on the windows are not doing their job. Some better solutions should be sought (maybe some electric device mosquito repellent in each room).

The breakfast was... how to say... You didn't have much option. You are given a plate with some good, fresh bread, some "Vache qui rit", honey, yogurt and an omlet. No butter, no fruits, no cereals... Don't want to spend too many days with this breakfast...
The guys fixing breakfast were obviously doing their best, but they should be tought that there is a lot more that can be done. There are better places to stay in Dahab.

And third, bring ear plugs if your sleep is light. The hotel is near a road or two.

The bakery downstairs is good, but a bit expensive, if you expect egyptian prices.

PS: if you book through booking.com, expect to pay the full sum at the hotel, in cash.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. Since April 2011, Alf Leila has been under new management and we have looked through all these comments to see what needs to be addressed.

We have addressed the mosquito issue by checking the nets and fitting rooms with electronic mosquito repellant. Now all we ask is for customers to not keep their doors open for prolonged periods of time, and we should hopefully be able to keep the mozzies under control!

Breakfast has also been changed - it is now a classic Egyptian breakfast... with extras!! We take pride in it & hope future guests will enjoy it.

We do not just accept cash for payment -- you can also pay by Visa and with booking.com, you will pay them a deposit and the balance to us in cash OR by card.

Finally, yes, we are on a road so we do recommend that you bring ear plugs if you feel this might disturb your sleep. However it is not a busy road and has only light traffic. Alf Leila is lucky in that we are otherwise in a peaceful area and do not have night time noise from the clubs! Pluses and minuses!

Thanks again for the opportunity to put these issues right. We hope you come and see how the new management are doing!

Kind regards & happy travels!

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Positive aspects:
Really cosy rooms, very Egyptian style. The staff was also very friendly.

Negative aspects:
First of all, the owner forgot to send someone to pick us up from Sharm airport, we agreed this on e-mail before hand. The manager just mentioned that it was a communication mistake..Second, we only had cold water from the shower and third, the breakfast was a fried egg, three small pieces of fresh bread and a small yoghurt.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Since April 2011, Alf Leila has been under new management and it has been very useful indeed to go through these reviews.

I'm sorry that you didn't get a transfer from the airport as I know how hectic Sharm el Sheikh airport can be and negotiating a deal with a taxi there is not easy. We can assure future guests that we have been working for a long time with our current transport company (we use them for transfers to our other hotel) and our system is diarised and well organised. This will not happen under our management, however we do recommend that all guests set off with our phone numbers on them, so that if they cannot find their driver they can contact us and we can deal with the situation promptly.

The breakfast situation has also been dealt with. It's now a 7-item Egyptian breakfast and I am sure future guests will love it.

Thanks again for your comments - they've been really useful for us. We hope you come back and see the changes we have made!

Happy travels.

Reviewed October 13, 2009

Very nice week in the Vanilla suite - would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple