“Perfect for a relaxing few days”
Review of Oricana Hotel

Oricana Hotel
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Have just had a very good five day stay at the Oricana. Our daughter (16) was diving with the Big Blue Dive outfit (also recommended), so we looked for somehere local to it. The Oricana let us have two rooms for 310 egyptian pounds in total (42 euros; 48 pounds stering; 55 us dollars) including breakfast which seemed an excellent deal. The room was comfortable, the air-con and bathrooms were fine; the staff always attentive and fun to chat with (and very pleasant with our daughter; one of them tested her on her diving theory); they were helpful on booking taxis etc. without being pushy and there were no unexpected extras when it came to settling up. The breakfast was very comprehensive (the owner said he'd got a new chef after a few complaints) and included omelette or pancakes to order in addition to both cooked and cold buffet items. The pool is a bit chilly, but once you are in was OK.
No complaints at all; overall I think the best feature is the architecture of the back terrace; lovely to sit in during the early evening with a bottle of wine. I'd recommend a room overlooking the pool. It's a tiny bit out of the town centre, but if you walk in along the front there is always plenty going on and the local shops are cheaper than those on the main strip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Oricana Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed here for one week in March 2009 when I travelled to Dahab to do an open water diving course.
The hotel is located off the sea front on the main resort road just a minutes walk to the front and about 5 minutes from the resort centre. The upside was that the staff were all courteous and polite and very willing to help with any queries or assistance. My room was a good size and the beds were made and room tidied each day. The TV and mini bar fridge were welcome additions to the room facilities. The hotel has a pleasant pool terrace, which was a nice quite place to relax and read at the end of the day.
The breakfast buffet included in the price is quite limited in choice compared to what Europeans are used to. However I was happy enough to have some cereal and order an omelette each morning, which the staff are happy to make to order. For me the breakfast could so easily have been improved though simply by providing an electric toaster, as toast was not an option, and providing one fruit juice option which also wasn't on offer.
Overall I found the hotel to be very good value for what I paid and I was quite happy with the choice, however some of the hotels along the sea front looked really nice and if I return to Dahab, which I hope to, I would want to pay a bit extra for the sea front location. I thought the two nicest looking were the Christina Beach, with it's sea view breakfast terrace and the Nesima with it's nice garden and pool bar.
Whilst writing, I'd also like to mention that I found the Big Blue Diving School, who I did the open water certificate with, a very friendly and professional group of people and would certainly recommend them.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Really enjoyed our time here. Our room was large and clean and overlooked the pool. The staff were all friendly and not in the "trying to relieve you of your cash" way that we had experienced elsewhere in Egypt. It is on the edge of the main strip but easy walking distance to shops, restaurants and sea front. We'll definitely be returning next time we're in Egypt, forget Sharm, come here!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I stayed at this hotel last year and for the price I think I got great value for money. I was very welcomed and looked after throughout my stay. If I wanted a drink or food, the waiter would run to get me the menu!

My room was big with a nice balcony and tv. Great after a hard days diving! I did have some difficulty with the shower which kind of sits right over the toilet and the hot water lasted for only the first few minutes but relative to the general facilities in dahab and the price, which was about £20 pr night, it really didn't affect my stay.

Every day when I got home there would be another sculpture on my bed made of towels! It was a lovely welcoem home. Theydo this at all the hotels here.

I didn't use the pool at all so i cant comment on that.
I skipped breakfast every day here as the selection wasn't great but on the beach you can get a big Egyptian breakfast for a few pounds.

For the last night the hotel were fully booked and I moved to the octopus - which had great balconies but not a lot going for it. I certainly didn't feel as at home as I did at the Oricana.Next time I'm in Dahab i'll be going there.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We stayed 3 nights at the Oricana and were satisfied. The pool was too chilly to swim in but I be it's ideal in summer months. The price is very reasonable - we paid $40 per night for a double room. The only thing we weren't thrilled about was the shower. It was small, the curtain kept sticking to our bodies and we ended up getting the bathroom floor pretty wet. Besides this minor inconvenience, the hotel is clean, comfortable, good service, good value, fine location and a decent breakfast (included).

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Have just returned from a week long diving holiday to Dahab. This was my first trip to the region and was organised by a colleague who goes every year.
The Oricana is an ideal location for any diving group to be based from. It's clean, fairly modern, the staff are very helpful and genuinely friendly. The rooms are entirely functional with decent beds, good clean linen, a tv, air-con, fridge, desk etc. Bathroom is ok, small but clean with the usual Egyptian approach to toilets and showers....
The hotel is really well situated at one end of town allowing quick access to the main shopping area and the sea front eateries.
From a diving perspective the hotel is ideal, it caters specifically for diver needs and the staff even put together packed breakfasts for our boat based early starts. The breakfast is not the best selling point, but in fairness you would be unique in booking the Oricana for the food!
The hotel also has a good sized pool and a small outdoor bar.
In summary I think this is an ideal hotel from which to base your diving holiday. It's certainly not luxurious, but the combination of good clean accommodation and helpful staff is exactly right. I will certainly be using the hotel again for my next trip to Dahab.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed December 1, 2007

The Oricana was booked by our local dive club for a weeks stay in Dahab diving with Poseidon Divers. The hotel is of a high standard for Egypt with clean modern A/C rooms.

The en-suite bathrooms are however rather variable. I had a single room and mine was very poor being small with only a shower head and no base, the water draining directly from the floor. Hot water was sometimes available. Other guests appear to have fared better, particularly those with twin rooms which have dedicated hot water heaters and shower curtains.

Breakfasts are adequate - a cold buffet ,although you can order omeletes from the kitchen. There is no evening meal service in the hotel but there are plenty restaurants close by.

The reception and pool area is clean and well appointed and the staff always friendly and helpful.

The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the centre of Dahab which was a revelation following an earlier stay in Sharm-el-Sheik. Locals are friendly and are happy to chat with you even after you refuse their invitations to shop or dine in their premises. The seafront restaurants are generally very good, the food is cheap but good quality and the service excellent. Although haggling is an obligitory part of shopping, it is always good natured.

Stayed: November 2007