“Wouldn't recommend it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dahab
Jasmine Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 28 Dahab B&B and Inns
London
“Wouldn't recommend it”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I ended up in Hospital for two days due to food poisoning from a simple chicken breast being uncooked. As it is so dark at night in the restaurant I could not even tell the chicken wasn't cooked! The staff were hardly apologetic when I complained and the service really wasn't fantastic. The place was quite dead too with little to do and see in the Hotel. I wouldn't go again, and I wouldn't recommend the food or restaurant at all due to my personal experiences.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank chardc2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco
Reviewed April 1, 2010

So I had a very interesting experience to say the least with Jasmine. Two to three weeks before arriving, I emailed them asking about availability/transfers/costs. Unfortunately, no one got back to me in 5-6days. I subsequently booked the place paying a deposit at Hostelbookers.com. I eventually got a response from Jasmine and they confirmed my reservation at a price including breakfast and how they would subtract the deposit from this upon check out. I thought this would be clear in the end...but I was wrong.

I get to the Dahab and find out that they are quite upset that I'm diving with the neighboring well respected dive shop Big Blue(which I highly recommend). Eventually, i check-in to my single room which was clean but extremely small. Nice bathroom but the door doesn't close. So when the toilet starts stinking throughout the day/night (not from my use), there was no way to block this! It smelled kinda bad at night at times. I had the breakfast a couple of times in the morning at the restaurant. Overall, their tours/trips I found were overpriced than their competitors and so I didn't do much with them. There was supposed to be wifi in the rooms/restaurant but it never worked either or the signal was too weak.

Now upon checkout, the manager states that I needed to pay the full price as the deposit went to Hostelbookers and he had no account of it. At this point, I'm confused and furious especially after the clear emails that were sent back and forth. He then tells me that if he is to count the deposit from Hostelbookers, then the breakfast isn't included and how that would be extra even though the receipt says otherwise. I then proceeded to show them my emails. While showing him, he then drops the F-bomb and that just did it for me.

Such an unpleasant exit from the place. I would never go back to this place. My review though is more of an outlier than the others but I thought I would write an honest review of the pros/cons of this place.

Pros:
-clean except for the occasional toilet smell
-big towels
-some really friendly staff though the manager was extremely unpleasant/dishonest in the end

Cons:
-bathroom can stink especially if the door doesn't close
-room service every other day-not too much of a problem
-extremely small single room-again not too much of an issue as most of my time is spent outside
-overpriced trips/transfers
-no wifi in rooms even though advertised. Wifi spotty in the restaurant
-be careful of your final bill

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank hpot
JasminePension, Manager at Jasmine Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Dear Sir,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to inform that you that we have recently undergone a full renovation of our hotel and facilities.

Regarding your booking issue I would like to clear up the misunderstanding. Bookings through HostelBookers.com does not include breakfast. To overcome this we offered breakfast in exchange for the deposit and to then charge the full standard rate.

We can confirm that our attached Dive Center and Tour Agency offers very competitive rates and can provide customized tours to all our guests upon request.

Please see our other reviews which highlight our drive to offer quality service. We would love to have you come again and then leave as a friend.
melbourne
Reviewed March 30, 2010

after travelling for 3 weeks around egypt on our honeymoon and staying in 7 other hotels+hostels, we just spent 5 awesome nights at the jasmine!! Room and view was perfect clean and very comfy ....newly renovated rooms+bathroom..felt like a funky beachhouse on the sea...its right along the forshore in a perfect location..close to everything walking distance...!! food was delicious,breakfast was the best we've had whilst in egypt..very fresh and super tasty with a very extensive menu!!.. tunes and atmosphere were awesome...staff were totally fantastic in every way..they made our stay very comfortable and fun..had lots of laughs with them..especially mido and mohammed!
the jasmine organised our beautiful snorkelling day at the 3pools and a wicked quadbiking adventure!!!they have a great scuba diving centre right next door also... we we're soo sad to leave this place, honestly could have stayed for months!! cant wait to head back oneday its the only place we'de ever stay!!! we miss it heaps and its only been a week!! we highly recommend the jasmine pensione if your looking for a funky,clean and reasonably priced home away from home!!!! thanks so much guys, we'll see you soon!!!!....... tina and chris~ melbourne/ australia

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Tina and Chris,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the very kind words. We would love to have you back any day. We look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

Mido
Runcorn England
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Just returned and oh how I miss it. The place has just finished a full renovation even down to the furniture. We were just there for a room to sleep in as we had activities planned everyday and for this reason its perfect. The rooms are basic, clean and comfortable but if you plan on staying in your room you would'nt be going to Dahab. The restaurant is both delicious and very reasonably priced we ended up eating breakfast and evening meal here everyday as it was to good to chance another place. Its position is excellent with only the gulf in front with saudi on the horizon. It is a 2 minute stroll to what you would class as dahab center and a 15 minute walk to the lagoon area. What made it top all the other places similar that I have stayed were the staff. Ramii and Mohammed are the salt of the earth in my eyes, more than helpful, genuine and honest along with the other employees. I would and will return in march with my son.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
california
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed at the Jasmine for a few days recently and moved next door to Divers House when Jasmine started their renovations. They have completely gutted the place, and it will be very nice when finished from the looks of things. Read some of the iffy reviews on here, and must say we had no problems with plumbing or anything else- things were looking pretty good and we were surprised that they were doing renovations at all. The attached restaurant is slightly higher priced than others along the way, but for a few pounds more we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves with the help of the attentive staff. Everyone worked their butts off there, and service was very good. The food was also massively portioned, so good value for the money. We were very pleased that we stumbled across the friendly and welcoming staff at Jasmine after a not so cosy evening at Penguin, and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple