“The perfect balance on every level... Bliss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dive Urge

Dive Urge
Ranked #1 of 27 Dahab B&B and Inns
London
“The perfect balance on every level... Bliss!”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Dive Urge was a great discovery! My girlfriend booked us in there and was happy to trust her judgement without knowing too much about it. Having read the reviews before leaving, I was glad to see that it seemed to be considered a friendly place with great diving instruction. While this is true, it's the little things which really made it stand out from just about every other holiday I've been on.

On other holidays, I've always found it tricky to find a balance with accommdation; if I book somewhere with character, it can often turn out to be grubby; if I spend a little more for a reliably nice room etc, the beurocracy of the hotel can make the atmosphere sterile and annonymous. Dive Urge is the only place I've ever stayed where the staff are perfect - they're friendly, knowledgable about diving, attentive but also understand that sometimes people need their own space to breath in the sea air or stare at the horizon.

It's located about 5 mins walk away from a more touristy spot where lots of restaraunts etc can be found, but this feels a world away as nobody seems to know that this gem is hidden just around the corner. We only discovered the other place by happening across it on a walk. You can't hear or see it at all from Dive Urge. 5 mins in the other direction is the Bedouin Town where you can get a taste of the local's lifestyle.

The hotel itself was amazing. We got caught up in the ash cloud business here in the UK and they were happy to rearrange our booking - twice! They even upgraded us for free when we did arrive.

The room was clean, quiet and with a great view. The beach was silent, peaceful and with bath-warm crystal-clear water which you could walk out into and swim around with fish. There's nothing better than finishing breakfast then stepping a few paces into a sight I'm more used to seeing as an idyllic screensaver.

Diving instruction was amazing. Ahmed was great - very patient and yet also confidence-inspiring. He leaves you with belief in your own abilities rather than depending on his guiding hand. Again, a perfect balance.

Overall, the biggest stress I had on the trip was trying to decide whether to focus on how much I was enjoying the holiday so I could remember it better when I got back to London, or whether to just enjoy the moment. I'm happy to say, there was never any chance of not remembering this great holiday!

1 Thank Chris_H24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
lucy
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We stayed at Dive Urge for one week at the end of May and had a fantastic holiday. My partner did his PADI open water course and his instructor Ahmed was brilliant! He had one-on-one tuition and Ahmed was extremely thorough and patient. I did a scuba review as I hadn't dived for over 3 years and Ahmed took me through a short test and then went through some of the basic skills again. Everything was very organised, thorough, safe and most of all great fun! We were extremely lucky to be two of only three guests at Dive Urge during this low part of the seson and when we weren't diving we spent a lot of time chilling out in the hammocks and on the beach. The Bedouin village is just 5 minutes away where you can stock up on water, use the internet and buy any food supplies you might want (such as delicious sweets from the local bakery)! We however, chose to eat either at Food Urge or at several of the nearby restaurants. Unfortunately we didn't get to dive at Eel Garden just in front of Dive Urge due to the wind but we did manage to go snorkelling on our last few days and it was beautiful.
All the staff at Dive Urge were really helpful with everything and made our stay extremely enjoyable.
We had a great holiday and I would highly recommend Dive Urge.

London
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Dive Urge is an incredibly relaxing & friendly place to spend a holiday. Beautiful location next to the beach and away from the busyness of the centre, we enjoyed many meals looking out at the sea and feeling a world away from city life. Fruit pancakes & mango juice for breakfast was amazing!

Everybody at Dive Urge made us feel very at home. We completed our PADI Open Water Divers Course during the first few days, just 3 of us with our instructor. Ahmed ,our instructor, was really good - very patient and very good at helping us learn and feel comfortable with all the different skills (I had never even snorkelled before!) The sea, corals and sea-life around Dahab are mesmorising, our dive around the Eel garden was one of my favourite dives of the holiday.

Hopefully we will back sometime to do our advanced divers course!

jersey
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed at Dive Urge same time last year and had the most amazing experience. This year it was different. I felt at first that I was returning home and that was very comfortable, but this feeling soon changed.
I had booked my Advanced Course. My instructor Ahmed was very good, very patient and I felt safe with him. My final dive was to be a night dive. I found out that the dive was cancelled ten minutes before it was due to happen. Ahmed was poorly and no other instructor was brought in to replace him- so no contingency plan- I was singularly unimpressed. Someone else then completed my night dive the following night- and she was brilliant.
Having Yvonne reminded me of the brillaint dive experience I had had the previous year. Her dive brief was full and detailed, her english excellent and she had warmth and humour. After the dive, time was given to the debrief. We sat and identified the fish I had seen. After a subsequent dive she had a coffee with me. These are the touches that really make dive holiday, particulary for a single woman.
The staff are lovely at Dive Urge, and the restaurant food is reliable, however the menu was virtually identical to last year and I ended up frequenting 'Shark' restaurant (near the Lighthouse) and El Dorado (just along the front/ fabulous irish coffee and pasta dishes!).
The staff can't do enough for you at Dive Urge but it just needs an injection of enthusiasm and a revamp of the accomodation (the grouting and the showers need checking and freshening up).
There is nothing at Dive Urge which is not easily solvable, but I am sad to say that there are other dive centres which are cheaper and have more enthusiastic dive staff who are likely to get my custom next time.
I love Dahab and I have a special place in my heart for Dive Urge (thanks Mahmoud for the 'extra special attention' you gave me- not) When I come back I will pop in to say hello and have a meal, but it's time for me to try somewhere else now. Lorrie

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
LynneDiveUrge, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Thank you for your review, we especially loved your praise of Ahmed and Yvonne, our 2 permanent Instructors here at Dive Urge, who go beyond the call of duty to provide a fulfilling and above all safe dive experience.
With diving it is very important to feel well enough to dive both for our customers and our dive staff, thus when Ahmed came back from his second dive of the day with ear problems we were cautious and called the dive off. We swiftly organized Yvonne for the next evening and an enjoyable and safe dive was had by all.
We have an 80% return rate here at Dive Urge and always try to improve on each visit for our guests; with new experiences and enhancements to the resort. In fact the menu was different to last Christmas when you came last time and we had also made other changes from large ones such as two new sea view suites, New Bedouin Area on Beach, New Family suite to small ones such as drying racks for your wet swimmies for each room.
However we take all our reviews very seriously and we always strive to make return visits even more enjoyable than before. However as you have chosen to stay somewhere else on your return to Dahab, we can only wish you a great holiday and look forward to seeing you for a cuppa when upon your return to Dahab.
Yorkshire
Reviewed April 2, 2010

My husband and I went to Dive Urge for 10 days and did our open water PADI and then some guided dives - our instructor Ahmed was excellent - very patient and calm which was great for me as I was quite nervous. It was just the two of us with Ahmed and Dive urge has a maximum of 4 people to an instructor which is far better than many other places. It is brilliantly located - opposite Eel garden for great diving and snorkelling and just a short walk from Dahab. Room was comfortable, food was excellent. We booked direct with Dive urge and everything was processed very efficiently - it couldn't have been easier! If we return to the Red Sea we would definitely go back to Dive Urge!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed at Dive-Urge for about 10 days during which we both completed our PADI open water and did a few guided dives, as well as some lovely snorkeling on the "house reef" and did a "mountain dinner" excursion. The place is fantastic. The staff from the office to the dive guides to the "Food-Urge" gang were all amazingly friendly and helpful. The location is also excellent, just far enough from the busy areas, but only a ten minute walk, and the Eel Garden reef starts about 50 metres from your bedroom. You can probably do Dahab cheaper, but for a quiet location, friendly people with no attitude and endless patience for beginners, and great food (we ate 90% of our meals there) you'll be really well served. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Dive Urge is about 10 minute pleasant walk along the sea front path away from the main light house area. As a result its got a really chilled relaxing and very private beach area. This area also seems to be where some of the more quality restaurants are too. If you want to be in the midst of the bars, noise and lights this place probably isn't for you though.

Equally, you can dive much cheaper at some of the places in town but again if you want to be able to turn up and know that your diving is all sorted, safe, in small groups and with amazing guides/instructors (ours had a degree in marine biology so gave us some really interesting info about the underwater environment) then paying the extra for Dive Urge is well worth it.

As others have said Jane, the office manager, is really helpful from first contact to when you leave. If you have any queries about anything I would highly recommend asking her as there did seem to be a few 'misunderstandings' between guests and other members of staff, eg about booking certain things and the orange juice - it says its included in the breakfast but that is only 'bottled' orange juice and unless you specifically ask for 'bottled' specifically they will bring fresh and charge you extra.

Generally the food was good - best salads we ate all holiday.

The rooms are basic with some dodgy electrics but attractive and very comfortable - all you need really as you're going to be spending most of your time outside. Its also a very safe environment both personally and for your belongings. Most people left their rooms open all day and all of the staff were really good with special requirements for kids/older people etc.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family