“Excellent food”
Review of Essence Brasserie - CLOSED

Essence Brasserie
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern British Cuisine. Our ethos is to serve a smaller, evolving & well executed menu using the best seasonal produce for all the seafood, meat & vegetarian foodies that visit and live in Dahab. These dishes are all cooked by our accomplished London chef, who also oversees the bar menu, serving the best burgers & steaks in town!PLEASE NOTE WE WILL BE MOVING LOCATION AT THE END OF MAY!!
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This restaurant serves fantastic food at a good price and in a great location but it does lack atmosphere. Would probably be better when the resort is busier in the summer.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The steak was absolutely amazing! Best one I ever had! Atmosphere was pleasant and staff friendly and attentive.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Most of the places in Dahab offer quite similar fare – you’ll see the same kebabs, pizzas and sea food appearing on menus again and again. This place is a good option if you want to try slightly different cuisine after a few days, as it’s much more modern British in style and offers options you probably won’t find elsewhere in Dahab, albeit with a more limited selection to choose from.

My three courses included old British favourites like cauliflower soup and banoffee pie, and it was all good and tasty, however my dining partner was less impressed with his steak.

The restaurant is licensed, which is relatively rare for places in Dahab and you can have fun sampling the ‘delights’ of Egyptian wine. The staff were very friendly, charming and accommodating, but prices are definitely on the expensive side for Dahab, more comparable with UK prices to be honest.

The restaurant is very nicely appointed and has a classy, modern feel to it; in fact it almost feels like you could be in a nice wee place back home in the UK rather than in Egypt. And that’s pretty much what the whole experience is like – prices, décor, food choices are all pretty much what you might expect in a mid-range UK bistro. And in that way I think Essence might be more appealing to ex pats homesick for a more British eating experience, rather than those looking for a definitive Dahab dining experience.

In conclusion, it’s worth a visit, the food was good, but it’s nothing exceptional enough to write home about.

1  Thank werebimbo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I have been to Dahab twice and we tried a lot of different restaurants. Our favorites are Sharks and Blue House Thai. We saw Essence recently rated #1 on Tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. Food is significantly more expensive and the decor is not the greatest. There is a bit more class in the way the food is cooked/served but I'm not sure if it is really worth the extra premium. Disappointingly I could taste preservatives in my fish which I didn't expect from all the reviews about how Essence uses fresh food, etc. The garlic shrimps I had was good but slightly overcooked which I didn't expect either.

Honestly I rather go to Shark to have my favorite homemade lentil soup and all the free Egyptian appetizers and hot bread that they serve! Or go to Blue Thai House to have curry and Tom Yum soup and pay half the price.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I really had high expectations with this restaurant because of the rave reviews.
Expensive compared to other places in Dahab.

Starters : prawns which had to be sent back, because of a rubbery tough texture. Cream of cauliflower soup, which just tasted of cream.
Main course: Chicken which was average. Steak which was good.
Dessert: Chocolate cheesecake, again average. It tasted like an instant dessert one buys from m&s.

With the prices that are charged at Essence, quality of food and presentation should be spot on, but unfortunately the only positive thing I can say is that the steak was the only thing that was enjoyed.I would have liked to have given a better rating for this restaurant, but It definately needs to up it's game so to speak.