“Easily the best place to stay in Dahab”

Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
London, United Kingdom
“Easily the best place to stay in Dahab”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been going to Dahab for diving/snorkelling for years and now that Sheikh Ali resort is open we will be going even more often! The rooms are more like suites - huge, airy, spotlessly clean and cool. The pool is lovely and even with all the rooms full not remotely crowded. All of this is what you would expect so what really makes the place different is the fantastic service. The staff are all friendly and welcoming and it felt like we were old friends. They are always ready to help - for example they sent someone round the corner to buy us cold tonic for our duty-free gin! The hotel is central and walking distance to most of the restaurants and shops. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Helen B
On behalf of us all here at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort we would sincerely like to thank you for your lovely review and recommending us to other fellow travelers.
We always aim to provide our guests with a very high standard of customer service and to us that means making your stay here with us as happy and as comfortable as we possibly can.
We very much appreciate your comments about our fantastic hotel and resort facilities and that this contributed to such an enjoyable holiday here in Dahab.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon!
Our very best wishes to you from Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
Oakland, California
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here in September 2012, for 4 days and it was AMAZING. We arranged airport transportation through the resort prior to coming, and it was great. Our evening flight was late as much as 45 minutes and the driver waited patiently.

Sadly, while visiting Egypt and the Red Sea, tourism dropped off due to the revolution and the ridiculously-offensive video that hit you-tube (from US). The chain of events really hit the local merchants hard, so Dahab was a ghost town. So we did our best to order full courses at restaurants, bought spices, trinkets and things. With that said, my boyfriend and I (San Franciscans) had a wonderful time in Cairo, Luxor and the Red Sea.

The resort is picture perfect, the staff so kind and friendly. The rooms are spacious, bright, immaculate, comfy-large bed, t.v had some english channels, plenty of hot water for showers and a mini fridge. The pool was perfectly chilled. Roof top access to view the incredible sunset behind the ridge-line of mountains on the west, and the spectacular sunrise over Saudi Arabia to the east! Set your alarm for that, it's truly a special moment.

The location is great (literally 5 minute walk though a narrow ally), tucked away from all the late night noise from the street where markets/cafes are. A gorgeous place to stay. I highly recommend it, and if I'm ever lucky to go back to Dahab, I will return there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CalBear76
On behalf of all the Sheikh Ali Team we would firstly like to thank you for choosing to come all the way to Egypt to stay with us and for writing such a positive review about your wonderful experience both here in Sheikh Ali and in Egypt.
We are very proud that you found our staff kind and friendly and that you enjoyed immensely our spectacular rooftop views. Also thank you for the wonderful photograph of Sheikh Ali showing the beautiful mountain backdrop views here.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort very soon.
Our very best wishes to you from Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went to Dahab for four days in December and was thoroughly impressed by the lovely rooms, the service provided by the staff and the faultless cleanliness throughout the hotel. The hotel is just off the high street so perfect location for anyone looking to really immerse themselves in the local culture of the shops and stalls - it took me less than five minutes to get from my hotel room to the sea front.
The pool in mid-December was absolutely bone-chilling, far too cold to swim or even paddle (and I'm pretty tough!) but apparently it warms up by January. As the sun disappears behind the mountains in the west quite quickly - by 4pm when I visited - I found that the eight or so sun loungers that actually received any sun (being on the lucky side of the pool!) were in the dark by late to mid-afternoon, but this is hardly something that the hotel can change and it was really dark by 6pm so a good opportunity to go into town to find an early-ish supper preceding either an early-ish night or a long fun evening.
The locals as well as the staff could not have been more friendly but I did wear long linen trousers and loose long sleeved tops as a gesture of respect towards local customs since I was a girl travelling alone; there was a lot of joking banter with the shopkeepers as they used any means to get me to look at their shops but it was all very good-natured - just don't get persuaded to even look at anything unless you really think you want it and don't be afraid to demand lower prices or double check totals! The locals are not charged tourist prices, some try their luck.
The hotel food was very nice and portions were well-sized but it might be worth double-checking your order to make sure that everything will be exactly as you expect - I asked for a calamari salad and stupidly just assumed it would be cooked instead of checking, but that was my fault not the hotel's. I did have a lovely breakfast every day, asked for fresh cut fruit instead of the fruit salad (don't like banana...) and it wasn't the slightest problem. Nothing was too much trouble.
As I said, the staff were just lovely and the beautiful room was great, the area is so amazingly relaxed and the sunrises from the hotel rooftop are spectacular. I can't wait to go back to Dahab. If you want to spend your days lying on a beach though, it might be worth looking at the hotels in the north of the town with private beaches which are probably more expensive but will be slightly more removed from the sometimes exhausting (and maybe for some people, intimidating) hassle of the town. I had a lovely time at Sheikh Ali though, even if it took me several goes to find my way back there from the street!

Room Tip: There were pet cats around the hotel whe I stayed which I didn't mind but the kittens were in an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank preferanonymity_6
Sheikh Ali D, Manager at Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Preferanonymity_6
We would like to thank you for choosing Sheikh Ali Dahab Resort for your holiday, and for taking the time to write such a positive and detailed review of our hotel.
We are pleased you found the hotel spotless, friendly and good value for money, and appreciate your comment about our customer service. We always aim to provide first class customer service to make all our lovely guests feel welcome and happy during their stay here with us.
Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali, Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team!
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I plus our two young boys just returned form a fantastic 11 day stay at Sheikh Ali Resort. The hotel is perfectly sized and situated virtually in the heart of Dahab offering a very personalised customer experience. The hotel staff were absolutely wonderful and went out of their way to help make our stay as pleasant as possible. Guro and Rasha were amazing hosts and arranged all our daily outings/activities and even our day trip to Cairo. You can always be assured that they will schedule your activities, be it scuba diving, wind surfing, camel rides, quad bikes, etc., with the best available operators, not to mention their restaurant recommendations!

We were booked into one of the brand new family suites which was spacious and perfect for us. The pool was a tad cold but then it was winter after all! At least the sea was more tolerable at around 23 degree Celsius. On the few occasions we ate at the hotel we found the food to be top notch especially the Christmas and New Year's gala dinners where the hotel pulled out all the stops.

All things considered, we had a great time in Dahab with Egypt proving to be a real education for the kids. Needless to say, Sheikh Ali Resort and their staff played their part and then some, to make for a memorable holiday and we cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to holiday in Dahab...then look no further!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Durbz911
Dear Durbz911
Firstly on behalf of all of us at Sheikh Ali we warmly thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure to make you and your lovely family feel welcome and happy here.
We always aim to provide exceptional customer service, and we are grateful that you found it to be a personalized customer experience. We are also happy that you found our brand new family suites spacious and comfortable.
We are always updating and adding to our extensive menu items and we are proud to acknowledge that you found our restaurant a superb place to dine, this makes our chef Hazem very happy.
We are grateful that you had a fun packed and memorable holiday with us and that you have taken the time to share your positive experience with other fellow travelers.
Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali,
Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 27, 2012

For my 3rd stay in Dahab the initial plan was to go to one of the hotels I visited before, but my friend found this place just before we booked. I requested an estimate by SeaMore Travel and got a response within 24 hours.

We were welcomed with a lassi and the staff was very friendly. The room was large with plenty of space. The room was very clean and had a nice balcony facing the south.

The included breakfast was a la carte and delicious. All people working there were very friendly and manager Aisha checked up with everyone regularly to see if everybody was having a pleasant stay.

The hotel is conveniently situated downtown and still very quiet: a good place to relax. Our divingschool was close bye and good restaurants for diner at 5 minutes walk.

The only thing I could wish for here was a heated pool. I guess during the summer that's no problem but in december it was a bit too cold. But really, that is not even an issue as I think this is one of the best hotels you can find in the centre of Dahab.

Room Tip: I guess during the summer you would like a balcony (and windows) facing the north, during the winter...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 010surf
Firstly we would personally like to thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your stay here at Sheikh Ali.
We always aim to give all our guests a very warm and friendly welcome both to Sheikh Ali and to Dahab itself, so we sincerely appreciate you commenting on your warm welcome to our resort.
At Sheikh Ali we are proud of the fact that you found our new breakfast menu ‘a la carte and delicious’, you have made our chef Hazem very proud indeed!
At Sheikh Ali we are also very proud of the tranquil beauty of our location and we are pleased to hear that this contributed to a very memorable stay here for you both in Dahab.
Our very best wishes to you from Sheikh Ali,
Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed December 3, 2012

just been there with my family for four nights, it was a great experience, the rooms are very big with clean linen and good room service. All the staff were very friendly including the owner of the resort who is a Dahab's local and a very friendly guy (Mr Jabali Ali). they were very flexible about the late check out.
if you have kids its nicer to take the suite in the ground floor overlooking the pool so they can play around and you just relax in the terrace watching them.
breakfast was basic; yet fresh and delicious we enjoyed their brown toast :)
i strongly recommend this hotel for anyone wants to stay in a nice clean hotel very close to the town center and the beach.

Room Tip: ground floor ismuch better if you have kids
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ahmed_Shokry
We are very proud of the fact that you found Sheik Ali spotless, friendly and great value for money. We always try to accommodate our guests with their every need and we were very happy to help you and your lovely family with a late check out.
We would also like to let you know that we now serve an extensive breakfast menu which includes a full Egyptian breakfast, various delicious egg dishes, pancakes with various toppings, fresh fruit salads, a range of healthy cereals, fresh fruit juices and fresh Italian coffee.
From all the team here at Sheikh Ali we would like to personally thank you for choosing to spend your holiday here with us and a big thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with other fellow travelers.
Our very best wishes to you all from Sheikh Ali,
Rasha, Gabaly, Guro and the Sheikh Ali Team!
london
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the Sheikh Ali as a solo traveller in October and cannot fault the hotel or staff. I had booked into another hotel in Dahab that turned out not to be right for me and decided to change to the Sheikh Ali after looking it up online. I booked at 8.30 in the morning and was there by 9.30 and they could not have been more accommodating. There was a slight mix up with my booking (NOT the hotels fault at all) and Rasha did all she could to help sort it out - which she did, totally. I walked in and instantly exhaled...

Beautiful, huge clean rooms. Gorgeous, quiet, pool. Lovely gardens. And I had a great massage here also. Other guests were also really friendly - but also didn't get offended if you wanted to hang out on your own.

It's only a 5 minute walk down to the main drag. My only slight concern as a solo was the walk to the Main Street involves going down an unlit alley... Not something a single girl would do in the UK! But I was reassured on safety by Rasha and felt more secure once I bought a torch.

My only slight niggle was the range of breakfast and booze available! Breakfast is too limited and it was a little uncomfortable seeing fruit salad uncovered in such heat. And it would be great to be able to choose something other than beer in the evening to drink (other than non-alcoholic, obviously). A G&T would have been fab...! But their Turkish Coffee was amazing!

But I loved this hotel and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lizf04
Dear LizfOZ
Firstly on behalf of all the team at Sheikh Ali we would sincerely like to thank you for choosing to spend your holiday here with us. We would also like to thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travelers.
We always strive to maintain very high standards at our hotel and to make all our guests feel welcome and happy. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your massage, one of our many available relaxing activities and spa treatments.
At Sheikh Ali we are very proud of the tranquil beauty of our location and we are very pleased to hear that this contributed to a very memorable stay here for you in Dahab.
We would also like to let you know that we now serve an extensive breakfast menu which includes a full Egyptian breakfast, various delicious egg dishes, pancakes with various toppings, fresh fruit salads, cereals, fresh fruit juices and fresh Italian coffee. As well as this we also have a range of different alcoholic beverages available with our extensive full menu options. Also if there is any item you specifically want our staff are always willing to help.