“Rest in November”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Moscow, Russia
“Rest in November”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel is very nice .large and beautiful area, in November there were few people . I had calm rest. I lost my mobile phone in the hotel . Employer Zakaria found and returned it to me . Pleasant for me . Thanks . Do not believe by bad review about hotel. Ramadan special thanks for the pleasant pastime in his bar with shisha (hookah ) Anna from Moscow

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me use this opportunity to express only positive emotions and experience from our two weeks stay at this hotel.

Excellent and friendly staff always willing to help.

Especially were amased by chief cook Mohammend Mostafa. This wonderfull man not only surprised us by tasty food but also helped to my husband with some recipies to fight with illness. In this end of the day Mohhammed bacame our friend. Thank you hope to stay in togch with you!

Elena

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and myself returned yesterday from a very nice stay at this hotel in Egypt. We really enjoyed it and i would recommend it to others. The resort is very quiet, set in the mountians, our rooms was lovely, very big and the shower was fab - very powerful and hot , it was great! Our view was nice and we looked out at the sea, we found all the staff very nice and helpful. The bar tender Sheriff was especially attentive and and really looked after us, the chef Mohammed was really great and constantly walked around the resturant asking if we were ok with the food and did we want anythign else, the beach bar tender was so helpful and friendly and was always smiling and laughing. The hotel evening entertianment was a bit lacking but that might be beacuse we went in winter - im sure if you went in summer it would be better, so guests all congregated in the lounge bar in the evenings where they had MTV in the background on and we socalised with other guests every night from germany and russia and found it very nice and didnt actually need the entertainment.
Some days the food was a bit "samey" but the desserts were very nice!!!!!
I would go back here if i was going to Dahab.

Room Tip: Sea View is a must!!!
1 Thank Faith Lucy S
leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and i have just returned from holiday at this hotel. It was the second visit this year, We go to this hotel because It is quiet and all the rooms have a sea view and the coral reef is very good for snorkeling. Lots of marine life. We had a few problems which were sorted out by the Executive Housekeeper Zakaria Samir. He is a very good manager well done Zakaria. I also want to mention the new Ex Chef Mohamed Mostafa he is making a real difference in the food choice in the restaurant. The Lemon Pie was fabulous keep it up Mohamed. So overall the hotel has improved from our first visit and we think the mercure is value for money.

Room Tip: Try rooms on the third level
Various
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Note: Before I start this review, be aware that the hotel management encourages positive TripAdvisor postings by offering staff bonuses if you mention them in reviews. There is nothing wrong with this, but a few employees will follow you and ask for this regularly. The result is....it is hard to write a critical review and then praise a staff member to help them earn extra cash. Ignore these requests and tip when you feel service has justified it.

I purchased a package for two via Travel Wasp for this hotel. The rate for a two week all inclusive was £600 pp. We booked express transfers from AtoB travel from Sharm el-Sheikh to Dahab, but there is no value in this extra "EXPRESS" charge, as the vans (12 seaters) run to Dahab with both express and non-express paying customers on them. On the way to the resort you will pass several security check points, and the ride takes about 45 minutes to Bay View.

Arrival and check in are pretty straight forward. The Bay View has room blocks on six levels, with level six sold as the VIP level...which means you are closer to the buffet (on level 5) but 250 steps down the hill to the beach. There is a pool there and it is quiet during the day, but noisy at night from the sound systems on the hotel patios. A good compromise is level 3...with level 1 appearing to be the quietest (lower pool side) and level four closest to the open air patio with music and entertainment.

The rooms are clean and airy, with tile floors and open patios. Request an end unit with a covered porch as these are a bit larger and afford more privacy. All views out to the Red Sea are good. There are no hotels to either side so the views up and down the coast and over to Saudi Arabia are wide and clear. The units have air conditioning units which are loud (ish), but if there is a large party below or around you, it will ensure good white sound for sleeping. Housekeeping is consistent and we had no major problems aside from missing water and soaps, which were easily resolved.

The buffet is predictable after a few days, but adequate variety is available. The lobby posts "themes" for the meals, but most of the food was the same (beef, chicken, fish, steamed veg). Salads were always fresh but deserts were of spotty quality and it was easy to tell which were made in house and which were bought in. The head chef will follow you, give you a business card and ask for a TripAdvisor recommendation. Of all the areas in the hotel, he was the most visible and pro-active manager. Given the importance a lot of people put on the food in all-inclusive, he did a good a job or ensuring (or at least trying) to accept and apply feedback of his food.

The beach was casual and the only place to escape the barrage of piped in music throughout the resort. The lower pool area was nice, but not a place to sit and read a book due to noise. The various activities were good fun and the pool staf kept the area clean and safe.

The beach has an excellent reef, and from there it is possible to walk south for about 30 minutes to the next resort, for the Three Pools which is on a lot of tour agendas. The beach bar is open 10-6 and staff there is excellent. Unlike many areas of the hotel, the beach staff was engaging and helpful. Spend your time down here and you will be well taken care of.

Evening entertainment deserves a mention...we saw all the shows while there. There are three rotating acts..Open Air Disco, A singer and a Fakir show that features (sometimes) a whirling Deirvesh or Belly Dancer. I would suggest you stay for 10 minutes and judge for yourself..Kids will love the Fakir show, but watch Ishtar and you get the idea.

All in all a good choice, but not good enough to return. We will go back to Dahab, as it is more "real" than Sharm, quieter and less commercial. The town is pretty sleepy and we always felt safe. I encourage you to travel here to show support for good people trying to work hard and support families in challenging times for the Egyptian tourist industry.

Room Tip: Second end uits with covered balconies work best.
5 Thank sammythefish
Yekaterinburg, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I won't create anything I'll just copy the words which I left for the hotel manager in a letter: "Thanks to your work these 11 days were the best holiday in my life despite of the fact that I was here with my 3(!!!) daughters alone. It's as you understand not a very easy work.
But you have done everything to make our life here comfortable, safe, clean and TASTY! Today I've already given my respects to your main cook for his wonderful cakes (with chocolate and nuts - my favorite!!!) and his delicious fish and chicken. Also for his creativity as he could wonder us every evening with something unusual and tastier than before!
Special thanks to the manager of the hotel who can every day organize the work of the hotel in such excellent way!!!
I hope I'll be able to return here with my big family. And of course with great pleasure I will be recommending your hotel to my friends!"

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

what a wonderfull place the mercure dahab bay view is . the staff at this hotel are all five star the service is very good and nothing is too much trouble for them they smile from dawn till dusk. the new head chef mohamed is brill, the food is very good and the cakes and sweets are to die for. there are a lot of steps up and down to the beach so if you cant walk very well maybe this is not for you however having said that we are nearly 60 and the exercise was good for us .we went all inclusive and the bar staff were great especially sherif in the lobby bar he works his head off he will look after you. take snorkling gear with you its a must the fish on the reef at the hotel beach are fantastic and the sea is warmer than the pool. the rooms are clean and tidy fresh towels every day and your beds made for you too. all in all this was a really good relaxing holiday and the sun shines every day, watch out for the mosquitoes if like me midge get you, then get some protection from them you have been warned