“Rather A Disappointment.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Rather A Disappointment.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you want a basic holiday that's handy for diving and water sports then this is the place for you. The location is good, the beds are comfortable, the water is hot and the food is just about OK. The air on worked and there's free but patchy wifi.

I was booked for three weeks but after a few days was so cheesed off I moved to a better hotel just up the road.. I really didn't want to celebrate Christmas in the very dire Sea Sun Hotel,

So what went wrong? When I arrived I wasn't immediately shown to my room. They wanted to sell me an upgrade, what would I want, a single traveller, with a huge great suite with a jacuzzi for an extra 200$? On reflection I guess they might have needed the cash.

The all inclusive tariff didn't include bottled water so being TT I negotiated. Then the mains water dried up twice in two days, I found cockroaches running around the breadboard in the restaurant, the bread was stale, the butter was being kept back, then when it returned it was rancid, jam ran out, food was tepid. Coffee was instant and the cheapest brand, tasting like roasted barley. Fruit was scarce. Crockery was chipped & cracked.

All areas were delapidated, grubby & shabby, I wanted to give my room a good clean from top to bottom. Dead flies on the windowsills in the main lounge area, marble tables and floors with evidence of ring marks or spilled drinks left for days. The restaurant had food under the tables. Outside some sun chairs lacked arms, no one bothered about the litter.

Even though there were pictures suggesting entertainment nothing offered at all, apart from an outdoor table tennis table. The old analogue TV in room only showed local channels.

The staff's attitude was lackadaisical, very few guests around so why should they bother? Lots of bods wandering around but not sure if they were they staff, if so what were they doing? The atmosphere and ambiance of a place where everyone was having a good time was non existent.

The other guests were Russian so you could end up being 'Billy No Mates'.

This dilapidated place reminded me so much of Eastern European hotels just after the fall of communism. Grim, Grubby & Dire.

The only thing I shall miss are the friendly beach dogs that belong to the local Bedouin.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Liz V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Although the hotel does have some issues at the moment there is a new management team there who are fantastic and we could see the improvement in the 12 days we where there .
The cleanliness is not great but improving ,
But if you like a nice quite relaxing holiday this is the place
Your less than a minute from the red sea so if you enjoy snorkelling or scuba diving its ideal
The food is great very tasty never had a problem with eating
The staff are fantastic can't do enough for you
At the moment we would say this a 3 star hotel with 5 star service
We had a wonderful time and will be retuning next year

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve H
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

lovely setting great views staff were freindly we were offerd a chpice of rooms when we arrived we thought we had found the best hotel then we found the food what was there was well cooked and presented but there was not very much of it and no choice althoigh the chef would cokk you someting else if asked, the bar was poorly stocked no wine and ran out of vodka allthough there were only about a dozen guests most pf which were out all day or just sun bathing,the cleaner came to the rooms every day and the room was still dirty when he left we had a whirlpool bath but no plug we were told to use the sink plug which didnt fit but was not realy a problem as we didnt have hot water,the taps were rusty and loose the toilet badley stained and the hotel ran out of water twice all though we didnt pay much hot water and more choice of food would have made all the difference we wont be stayong at the sea sun again.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank tim3474

Travelers are raving about these Dahab hotels

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed there for one day in October, the rooms were unclean ,the bathroom was rusty including all the taps, the toilet seat was broken and leaks water to the bathroom floor, the food was terrible I ate dinner outside the hotel that night.
no AC remote control and when I requested I got no response till I borrowed one from the room beside me.

beside all that key employees were rude and unfriendly.

really it was the worst stay I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: don't go there unless you wanted to have a really bad time.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Talaat S
Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

we only had to sit for only 1 night as part of a trip and it was on 18 oct. 2013.the problem was with the following:
1. staff is not enough for running a hotel(only 2 for HK, 2 for buffet serving and cleaning... etc)
resulted in:
1.Rooms,towels, lobby,restaurant tables,pool and everything is unclean.
2.service is too slow
3. no maintenance for the rooms as the bathroom door can't be closed.
4. no soap, or shampoo... we got the towels upon request.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Abeermelligy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We're not the most sensitive family (I went to several archeological expeditions). But now this place is awful.
I hope that this is due to that riots stuff. It's about 10-15 guests in 90 rooms right now.
Seems that because of that there's no food, drinks and hot water.
Personel tries to be nice, but you have to struggle to have a glass of red wine for supper.
Pool is cold and dirty.
No safe sea entrance (you still can use the one in the next hotel).
If you have a choice now - buy just plain tickets and book a hotel in Dahab.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Denniskl
Bromham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

After several holidays in Sharm decided to try Dahab. Sea Sun Hotel looked great as advertised.
Arrived evening 17/9/13.
Very quite to be told only 6 guests in total because most foreign tourist's
had been prevented from travelling due to Egypt's problem.
The few staff present were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us especially Oma and Micky.
Afraid it went downhill from there on. We were shown two rooms to choose neither were great,
Wall light hanging by wires, only one bath towel, half a toilet roll.
All meals we had no choice only what was put in front of us and to be fair they were presented
very well. We understand no chef present.
The pathway leading to the beach had dog foul that had been there sometime also the beach
had dog and apparently camel foul. The sun beds were filthy and hadn't been cleaned for some time.
I'am sure this hotel has seen better times but we were so disappointed with everything that we left for another hotel after 4 days.
I would not recommend Sun Sea it certainly doesn't live up to it's presentation.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple