“Although Easyjet rate this a 4* it is not quite there yet but the G>M> is working on it.”

Sea Sun Hotel Dahab
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

this hotel is staffed with really nice friendly helpful people, more than happy to help at all times.
It could do with a bit of a revamp but as our stay was in September we expected it to be tired. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was quite ok for a holiday being clean and fuctional.
The food could be improved a bit but I spoke to the gm about it and he is trying to do something about that. having said that the food was edable and even my fussy husband found something to eat every day. at all the meal times. I would not sudjest this for a family holiday but for adults looking for a relaxing chill on a beautiful coast line it was lovely.
If you fancy a camel ride Just go to the tent a the bottom of the garden and speak to Basim and he will sort you out. I can also recomend Dahab for massages, had two myself and they were great. for diving go into Dahab centre and find Poisidon diving where Katharine will sort you out.The taxis will drop you off at the square and if you go down to the bridge and turn right you will see the board on the wall go up the ally and you are there
If you turn left be prepared to run into the come into my shop grabbers. but that is fun, just be firm with a NO THANK YOU..

6 Thank BROWNIE750

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

FIrst of all anyone that is thinking of booking this hotel think again, seriously all the negative reviews are correct as we found out when we arrived thinking we might give it the benefit of the doubt. When we arrived we waited in reception for an hour to be shown to our room, which turned out to be a villa which was the staff's residence and also to be sharing with russains (nothing against them) and also having no key, after complaining we got a VIP room for the night but was also asked if we would like to stay in there for the rest of the two weeks for an extra 10 dollars a night , we refused and got the standard room that we paid for initially the next day, the reason for this is they had overbooked, which didn't just happen to us but quite a few over guests aswell. The room was clean and the bedding and towels were changed every day also we had decretive flowers on our bed made from towels, the bathrooms do need updating , also the smell was offensive when the taps were turned on. The mini fridge is not stocked with water or pop, the bar used to run out of beer and spirits every 2 days, and you were given wine glasses for beer or plastic cups if they had run out of glasses, the food choices were chicken, liver, beef or fish at dinner and tea also various salads on plates which were not covered up and flies flying around , breakfast consisted of cheese, bread, cornflakes, crepes or eggs, we had a fried egg buttys every morning , there was about four members of staff sacked while we were there, also staff argueing in reception in front of guests, asa tv crew were coming in one day to film and promote travelling to egypt all staff had new tops on so you could tell who was staff and who wasn't , name badges were given , the pool area was swept down, bins were emptied the Italian restaurant which is on the beach was used for two nights only for a show which a belly dancer came in and beer was taken down from the bar , they served beer though until the last person left otherwise normally they stop serving at 11pm. The good thing I can say is that most of the staff were very friendly it's just a shame the management don't sort out the problems that need to be sorted, also the snorkelling was amazing , the one thing Ive read on previous reviews is that new management have come in and seem to be sorting the hotel out I honestly don't think this will happen which is a shame as the hotel is in a beautiful location. I can honestly say we will not be returning, and neither will any of the other guests that we became friends with, and that is the only reason we enjoyed our holiday is because of the people that we became friendly with and not the hotel. Also there is not three bars as stated, there is only one in reception, there is no pedelos, only one on the beach stranded, and I would not rate this hotel as a 4 star maybe a1at a push.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Theresa M

Travelers are raving about these Dahab hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've just got back from 1 week all inclusive stay at Sea Sun
No it is not a 4* Hotel but it is clean, friendly, quiet & in a beautiful area with great diving on your door step
I had no problems with food or drink but I did like what was on offer so if you don't like chicken, fish or liver it may not be for you
The staff problem was sorted out by sacking most of them including a Manager
The staff are really friendly & try to everything for you
I will be going back again as it is such a relaxing area with

Room Tip: Hotel is at the side of the mountains so it has great views all round
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Linda S
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

just come back from an all inclusive stay at the Sea sun 1/2 star hotel , what a joke , staff fighting in the reception area , ran out of drinks every day but would sell you a bottle of water , the general standards were very poor , I would not let my dog stay there for free

2 Thank gilliangillard
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

staff were in general helpful when they could understand you, this deffinatly is not a four star hotel, more like a 1* 2** at most, we have just come back after a 2 week stint, omg how did we survive, we found the all inclusive a joke, no beer and if you were lucky enough to get one it was served in wine glasses..(the smaller the better), occasionally in small plastic cups..whoopy..they usually ran out of beer spirit's daily,and were very appologetic for the inconvenience and then proceeded to make you buy water..??
Food was very bland same same same day in day out, good if you liked liver, poor if you didn't,
Rooms must say had very good housekeeper, lots of nice designs on our clean bed every day practically.. rooms were basic no tea making facilities which was a shame, maybe we wouldn't of minded so much if we had tea.Bathroom was to be desired. Pool area was poor, tiles loose, one older gentleman cut his foot open because of the loose tiles and they didn't even change them.Last 2 days we had no flushing toilet.We informed the management but nothing was done, we used our own initiative and filled bottles with tap water and tipped down the loo...
Location would be gorgeous if they cared more about their Environment.Great for snorkeling and Diving.Overall we survived and showed the good old British spirit.

Room Tip: review my review..... photos to follow.
5 Thank DianekJones
Warszawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

It could have been a good place to stay if it was properly managed,as it has a potential. But food was awful, rooms and especially bathrooms were filthy, sometimes there was not hot water. The staff is lazy and not responding to the guests requests. We have been waiting 1,5 day for the hot water. I had impression that the favourite activity of the hotel staff is to seat on the terrace and ignore the guest. We were there for diving so we haven't spent a lot of time in the hotel, but anyway it was hard to handle. It is definitely not 4 star hotel as it is claiming. If you are going for diving, you should consider to stay in one of the diving centre hotels at the Lighthouse, they are 2 star hotels, but at least you know what you are paying for.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank metastasi
Beds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

The staff make the hotel good, there is a new manager in place and seems to be doing what he can to improve the place from what he says he has run big hotels in the past and really wants to make the right changes, the biggest problem is its a dated hotel from the 1980s with dark rustic appeal, which was ok 30 years ago but not now when there are plenty of much better hotels nearby.

Food is....repetitive let's say. There is definitely not enough choice with only 1 meat choice, rice every night and salad...sort of. The sweets were bland and tasteless unless you had the local sweets which I could feel rotting my teeth as I ate them. Breakfast was disappointing and lunch was a repeat of evening meal. The chef was good and the meat dish was tasty, but there was not enough meat in it and not the selection that I expect from a hotel.

Rooms, clean ish, they seem to have had a lick of paint, the beds were comfy, I have a bad back so they must have been good mattresses. The bathrooms bid smell, we didn't have any water for 4 hours on one day, I think it's desalination water that doesn't desalinate well. There is no tea making stuff in the standard rooms, but the manager did get a kettle in the room as soon as we mentioned it. Curtains hanging off rails and under the beds dirty, room was cleaned every day and also clean towels every day.

They ran out of bottled water, although there was a water chiller that seemed ok, no funny stomach after drinking it, always plenty of cola etc, they did run out of drinks like vodka too quickly.

Entertainment didn't exist, apart from 1 night on the beach with the Bedouin tent there was none at all. That was particularly disappointing, nothing after eating and having a drink.

I would say that the owner of the hotel is unwilling to invest in the hotel for the guests, half the staff seemed to do nothing at all, the new manager was on their back constantly and you could see change in the week we were there, if he keeps it up then I think it could be a nice hotel, I am not sure if the owner has the stomach to change what has probably been a nice income for him. Definitely need to improve the food, I shan't go back unless that improves, also fix the air con in the restaurant, it was too hot to enjoy your meal...not that you would anyway, the fly problem was treated by a fly zapper bat and a local, rather than the usual devices that plug in on the wall and attract the flys. Fix the AC in the foyer as well, it was too hot when you wait for anything.

Star rating, I keep seeing four star quoted, not a hope in hell. 1 or 2 at best.

There was lots of Russians when we got there, we were the only Brits there, which is not a problem, I wonder if that's what the food is catered for as most of the posters etc are in Russian.

Last point no safe in the room and not offered at reception, we didn't lose anything but I did ensure that all valuables locked in hard suitcase, maybe worrying for no reason, this place wasn't busy like Sharm or Cairo.

Last last point, the locals didn't hassle to sell you stuff, they asked once, if you polity said no thanks, then that was the end of it, this I was really pleased about, I was also given a free camel ride by a local guy, he got me on told me how to stop, go and steer and let me wander of down the beach, that was really unexpected and enjoyable, all because I offered him a ciggy.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade to a suite, we were quoted 20 Gbp but I am sure you could reduce it down
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple