“Half Cooked”

Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
London, United Kingdom
“Half Cooked”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Shower pressure was useless, i would have more power myselef after a couple of pints, no sink or bath plugs I requested them 3 times. Food was half cooked and disgusting, the omlette for breakfast, desserts and the bread were the only things that I could say were ok. The pool was freezing, the sea was 8 degrees warmer, by all means come here but bring your own food and entertainment.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fenian007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg
Reviewed December 16, 2011

If you are going to Egypt for diving, snorkeling or windsurfing Sea Sun hotel probably the best or one of the best places to stop. It’s very close to world-famous dive-site Blue hole. Almost half of the residents of the hotel are divers. In the evening on many balconies you can see wetsuits, fins, masks and so on.
We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel but I’m not sure that everyone would enjoy it as much as we did when you see how in the evening some divers wash their wetsuits in the swimming pool of the hotel . In any way if you are looking for luxury, comfort and excellent service it’s not a place for you but if you are looking for adventures it’s a right place.
When we came to the hotel and they brought us to the first room we were really shocked. Actually the room overlooked a big construction place. I’m not spoiled by luxury but it was too much even for me. The view from the second room we were shown was a little bit better, but the room itself needed serious reconstructions. The third room was really good (at least after first two), had an excellent sea view but it worth us extra $ 20. In any way it’s not too much.
The staff was really very friendly and helpful. Food was OK. Number of camels walking through the territory of the hotel every morning one side and every evening another side impressed me a lot. Being serious the strongest impression was the poverty of locals. Of course you won’t see it on the territory of the hotel but we walked to the nearest Bedouin village and their way of life was more than shocking.
I use the opportunity to say thanks to “Planet Diver” diving center (the hotel has another dive center, but we decided to use cheaper one in Dahab and was extremely pleased with it). Instructors Jane Peskova and Pasha Filatov organized excellent diving for us. They were very professional, very enthusiastic and also very nice and interesting people to communicate with.

3 Thank Masha_BEST_GUIDES
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Mum and I wanted to have a last minute break away just to relax and recharge our batteries, so I Google searched all inclusive to Sharm El Sheike and up popped the Sea Sun Hotel, the hotel picture looked very inviting so we booked a week.

This was my first visit to Egypt and when we got on to the minibus to go to our hotel and we drove away from Sharm El Sheike we both thought where are we going…..haha so did the driver he had to stop twice to find the place in Dahab.

The welcome was lovely Miga on reception couldn’t do enough after being taken to a room that wasn’t great as when I booked I was guaranteed a sea view, we complained because the room had a bad smell and didn’t have the sea view we were expecting.

The room that we got as an alternative was lovely and very comfortable, the bath plug didn’t work although improvising worked fine ( just be careful the hot water came out boiling and the tap had to be turned off with a towel because you couldn’t touch the tap) and it was need after the Camel ride to the Blue Hole, (I did get to go into the sea this time but will next time I visit) and after the visit to the Coloured Canyon and White Canyon especially after Mum fell.

Ali, Mohammed and the other waiters kept us very entertained we were always laughing, the Chef cooked up some good dishes with the limited supplies never went hungry; and the Beef he cooked on the Saturday evening meal was to die for it just melted in your mouth, The pancakes in the morning were a real treat thank you lads

Mikey thanks for the dance lessons I had a right laugh (want to go to classes her so when we come back we can have a good boogie, I might just impress you and save that last dance for me) Cha-cha and the belly dancing haha great fun.

Now what can I say about the Spar never had an Egyptian Massage before so didn’t really know what to expect but all I can say is ‘wow’ that was the best massage I’ve ever had, because the treatment is tailored to your needs this was what both individual to my Mum and I, well worth the money the Family run spar made us feel very welcome, this wouldn’t of happened in a big busy hotel so thanks you Sameh, Mumma, ‘Crazy’ (I’m not talking to you…….haha), Rayhn Islam and the other brother, the girls were real sweeties too; We really enjoyed our night out with you too thank you.

The gift shop has some lovely quality goods highly recommended too.

The hotel could do with a money changing service or ATM on site although again the staff came to our rescue thank you for going the extra mile to help us out.

The hotel is a bit tired needs a bit of a make over and from what I observed the Staff do the best they can with the resources that they have to work with and they all work long hours but do their very best to make your stay as relaxed as they can

I would like to say to owner that you could have a gold mine in your hands if you just spend a bit of money in all areas, as at the moment you are reaping what you are sowing, it is a good job you have a fantastic staff team working their butt’s off to provide a service that you are failing to adequately provide for you can see the pressure you are putting them under by being tight with the pound.

We do plan to return but for the staff more that the accommodation maybe 2013 there will be an improvement.

Suzie & Maggie T

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Suzanne T
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2011

where can i start the place is so bad i took my wife for her 40th birthday the rooms are dirty the bathroom had no toilet roll mould all round the bath taps so dirty and not working the food was disgusting and cold and you get one choice or go without ! i would not recommend this place to my worst enemy

1 Thank tom m

Travelers are raving about these Dahab hotels

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed November 9, 2011

After a short break at the Sea Sun Hotel, we are already looking for dates to go again. The service and standards at this hotel were superb. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and they made our holiday. From the reception, security, room service and in particular the waiters the service was 5 star plus! The beach and snorkelling on it's own private beach was breathtaking and the trips and excursions were not only really reasonably priced but also taylor made to your own requirements. Thank you Sea Sun for a fabulous time.

2 Thank BBBG69
Liphook, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Well-my daughter & i went to Sea, Sun just 2 weeks ago. On arrival we thought it was a bit quiet but by the next day we were very happy that it was. We had stayed in Sharm before, so we were not too sure what to expect in Dahab. The staff are so lovely, the pool was great & the coral reef on Sea Suns doorstep was very beautiful! We have to remember that times are hard everywhere around the world & if business is quiet, then resources are smaller! Yes'- i do feel that the beach could have been cleaner, too much rubbish sadly which is always sad to see.but an empty bottle of Jack Daniels on the beach one morning would not have been left by staff, as they do not drink, but by a tourist!! Say no more! Our room was fine, it was a room,clean enough & with a sea view:). The food was ok-no-not like england but i wasnt in england i was in egypt!! I heard someone complaining about the flies too!! Now-come on.....thats ridiculous...................heat = flies & if its not for you go somewhere that willserve chips everyday!! Sun Sea is not expensive & you get what you pay for & in the current climate of much suffering, we are lucky to be able to go on hloiday in the 1st place! Thank you Sea Sun, we trust to be back in 2012-we miss you all very much x

Room Tip: Ask for 1 with a sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Kiri D
hailsham
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have travelledto Dahab before and stayed in egypt several times. I wrote down the facts only because i didnt want this to come on a personal basis. My wife and i stayed at the ea sun hotel in Oct this year in fact we only been back 2 wks. the facts are as follows.
1 The hotel is dirty, scruffy and in need of some time and money spent on it
2 There is no entertainment at all only music
3 The music is so so old. ie Doris Day (Qua Sara) era
4 Food cold and either not or only part cooked (potatoes hard, Fish only part cooked and nearly
raw)
5 Crokery and Glasses cracked and dirty (saw it being washed under the tap no soap used)
6 Breakfast cereal milk diluted with water.
7 Milk for coffee and Tea in cartoons (1st wk it was put in jugs)
8 Very little choice
9 Crockery taken from guest before finished with,rinsed and put out for next person
10 Lack of cutlery, desert spoons only saw 2, about a dozen teaspoons, possible 2dz soup spoons
11 No lockable draw or safe to keep your valuables secure( expected to hand in to reception)
12 Plenty of rubbish on the beach (we collected it on a daily basis)
13 No information about excursions or trips ( when asked at reception they phoned somewhere
in dahab then gave us the phone.

The good points were the staff they did try

The Dive center attached to this hotel is just the opposite they were very proffesional polite and we could not recommend the highly enough many thanks subex for a great dive experiance

Room Tip: Be aware this is a factual account I have kept personal feeling aside
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple