“Fantastic budget hotel, where the staff are lovely”

Red Sea Relax Resort
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
CHELMSFOrd, United Kingdom
“Fantastic budget hotel, where the staff are lovely”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed for 10 days in March 2013 and had a wonderful time. The location isn't too close to the hustle and bustle of the main shops so it's nice and peaceful. The staff were lovely and couldn't do more for us during our stay. The only downside to our holiday was finding out once we got back home, that my bankcard had been used whilst it was left in our room. The safe that was inside the room had no instructions so we weren't able to use it. Luckily for me though, my bank refunded the amount that was taken and the hotel staff did contact me to try and get it resolved once I'd informed them of it. Apart from that little hicup though, the hotel was clean and peaceful, and the staff really were fantastic. A very enjoyable stay where friends were made.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights in April 2013 as a solo traveller . This is a small, affordable, English owned hotel with about 20 rooms with a very clean and inviting swimming pool. There are still plenty of pool lounge chairs to go around as most people are out and about, diving, snorkelling, etc. The location is perfect, near lighthouse reef and right on the promenade, surrounded by a huge choice of restaurants and shops. The amazing thing is, once you walk into the hotel from the buzy promenade, it is quiet and calm, so I slept really well.

Room was large, very clean (cleaned daily) , big comfortable kingsize bed, good linen and towels, A/C, fridge, TV ,in room safe and a small balcony with table and 2 chairs looking over pool. Bathroom had plenty of hot water. Previous reviews mention cockroaches, I did not see one coacroach the whole time I was there.

Breakfast was good and plentiful, cooked eggs and pancakes, cereal, toast, fruit, cheese, coffee/tea. Actually, free coffee, tea and bottled water was available all day.

Free wi-fi and 2 computers available in reception area for anyone to use. Very cheap laundry service with a turnaround time of 1 day.

However, the best thing about this hotel was the exceptional helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. Osama and Said at reception were amazing. They very efficiently fixed a small problem I had with my room, moving me to another room. No problem was too small for them to deal with. They both took a personal approach to getting to know you and were friendly with everyone. I looked forward to our chats as they were both very funny and had me laughing most days. They provided good information and directions, plus when asked, they were also able to arrange a snorkel trip to 3 pools and transport back to Sharm.

Room Tip: I liked the upstairs rooms with balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hurghada, Egypt
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Red Sea Relax Resort's high standard of service, brilliant location, and quiet when needed was everything I wanted.
This good quality and affordable hotel with it's kidney shaped swimming pool and comfortable ensuite bedrooms is set back in an alcove from the ' where it's happening' promenade and Lighthouse area famous for shore diving and snorkeling .
The hotel also boasts the roof top terrace bar Churchill , with great views ,a popular Weds night quiz.and huge screened English Premier League matches with pub food.
Residents have free access to the Planet Gym and steam room and should stop at the bar next door for a glass of fruit juice or Mohamed's fresh fruit salad.
I felt completely comfortable staying at this hotel on my own and happy to have the guidance of the reliable reception staff Said and Abdo ; particularly Said who told me about budget airline Smart Aviation who offer Egyptian internal flights from 175 EG..
Which means I shall be back there very soon.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been diving Dahab for years and this is my favorite dive outfit. The staff of mostly British and Egyptian instructors is well-trained and very friendly. The rental equipment is well-maintained. It offers good value such as divers on the days they are diving can stay for free at the partner-hotel's hostel including breakfast. It is located on the ocean promenade under the best pub in Dahab which features English Premier League matches via satellite and a Wednesday Quiz Night popular with the locals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gueltas
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed at red sea relax a couple of times now and have found the hotel and the staff to be really first rate. I stay there while I use their dive centre which is a part of the hotel. I have done a couple of courses with them as well as lots of fun diving and I am very pleased with the facilities and the level of service which is friendly and very professional. The on site bar is lively and the restaurant is good value and the food good. If you're thinking of a diving trip to Dahab you need look no further than Red Sea Relax, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

When I saw what Red Sea Relax had to offer I immediately changed hotels and spent the next 3 weeks in this excellent hotel. Although room prices were similar, this English owned and run establishment was far superior - particularly with regard to cleanliness, quietness and service - also the fact that the bar prices are the cheapest in Dahab didn't do any harm at all!!!
It also has it's own dive school!!
Situated in the Lighthouse area of Dahab, the location is nothing short of superb. You are not "captured" 4 kilometres away where the far more expensive "all-inclusive" hotels keep their prisoners. You are in the "happening" part of town, and just a promenade width from the sea, (The world famous Lighthouse Coral Reef is all of 100 yards away - isn't that a hardship!!!).
The outdoor bar, on an upper level overlooking the promenade and sea, is the perfect place for a sundowner ( which can turn in to a sun-upper if you're not carefull!!). At night you can see the glimmering lights of Saudi Arabia in the distance. The bar food is very good, and people came in from many outlying hotels to see the big Rugby (and Football) matches. These are featured on a few "big" nights, but not allowed to take over the general relaxed ambiance of the bar.
There are a myriad of reasonably priced restaurants in the immediate area. We particularly enjoyed Blue House Thai Restaurant, Nirvana Indian Restaurant and Il Pescatore. Also, Ralph's German Bakery was great for coffees and subs during the day.
The late clubs are about 10 minutes walk away around the bay - and the fact that breakfasts are served until 11am becomes very relevant if you venture in that direction!!!
Chris, the owner and genial host, supported by Osama, Said and Tariq, and their teams ensure that you have a great stay and I am planning my return already!!
I havn't even mentioned the beautiful pool, and how much fun the weekly quiz night is, how effective (and silent) the air-conditioning was etc etc...

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are right at the pool. Upper floor rooms have private balcony's overlooking t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Regina, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have 2 nights at this friendly hotel located perfectly in Dahab along the main strip /promenade of restaurants and in front of the Red Sea. We have 2 interconnecting rooms and the rooms are spacious enough and we are the closest to the reception ( 101 and 102). Besides the location, the biggest draw is the super friendly owner, very helpful.

Upon entering our rooms after checkin, first thing we notice is a big cockroach in the shower and another one in the room. We kill them both and discard them, hoping that's the last of them. However that night after we came back from supper, we killed about 20-30 more cockroaches. We went to the staff at the desk and ask for some cockroach killer. Within minutes, the staff member was at our room with some spray and apologizing profusely. At that time, he witnessed a cockroach. About 5 mins later the owner/manager came to our room and he also saw a cockroach, apologized profusely, gave us our 1st night in the hotel for free, as well as our laundry was done for free. The next night we kill about another 10 more cockroaches, less than the 1st night. Both nights we slept with the lights on needless to say.

The room is relatively clean otherwise, though the chairs are quite dusty. The lighting is very dim/poor in the rooms. However there is LOTS of hot water with good water pressure in the showers which was awesome.

There is a nice clean attractive pool, a restaurant and bar, and even a gym and dive shop. Laundry facilities are also available and quite cheap, I believe 2 LE for larger items and 1 LE for smaller.

Breakfast is included with an ok selection. Small choice of fruit, potatoes, 1 cereal option, plain yogurt, sausage, pancakes (aka crepes) and omelettes. Bread was gone consistently by 9AM. We had the omelettes and pancakes every morning which served us well.

The beach is very tiny, during high tide almost non-existant, however many of the restaurants have lounge chairs right out in front of the water to hang out in for the day. You aren't required to buy anything from the restaurants when you use the lounge chairs, but for buying drinks , lunch, water, etc, we did.

Would I recommend it? Once the cockroach problem is taken care of, definitely! I'm assuming we probably had the worst of the problem due to being the closest to the restaurant /kitchen/reception area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chris88Dahab, Owner at Red Sea Relax Resort, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Halilee,

Thank you very much for your review, and we're delighted to hear you loved the Resort, its perfect location, friendly staff, our array of services and the fact that you'd stay with us again. In turn we 'd like to thank you for bringing the undiscovered pest situation in Rooms 101-102 to our attention.

As you mentioned in your review we did our best to make amends on the ground when the problem occurred, offering a a free night, and attempting to address the situation. Nevertheless, I once again will apologise personally for the annoyance you suffered.

We have a regular spraying program to eliminate the threat. I suspect as a seasoned traveller with 90 reviews you must have come across lot of these little pests before - they're worldwide- but you are obviously much more expert at killing them than we are!

Looking back we realise now how the situation originated, and I am confident this was a one off problem. We had two spells of heavy rain in February- about the first heavy rain in 5 years- and I'm sure it must have hatched large numbers of dormant ones. If you remember they were all baby sized.

Anyway, I'm now happy to say the situation has been eradicated ,and as future precaution- (although we don't expect rain for another 5 years) we will be doubling our pest control measures.

Thank you once again for your review, and indeed once again for alerting us to the situation.

I very much hope you enjoyed (or are enjoying) your further travels and very best regards from us all.