“Underwhelmed”

Ramada Ras Sudr Resort
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ras Sudr
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I've stayed at a few all-inclusive beach places on the Red Sea in Egypt, and I was very surprised at the poor state of this hotel's facilities. The other reviews have it right. There are a few good things here--the suites are a good size, the sea and beach are lovely (if littered with trash), and the windsurfing company, Club Mistral, seems great. The food was fine--no better or worse than other hotels.

But we had so many problems in our room, which was apparently just re-done:
-The shower had no control
-We lost hot water twice, and it took ages to get it back
-We never had enough towels
-The shower leaked a ton of water onto the floor
-The sink leaked
-The bedroom a/c was hot air only
-The patio was still an in-construction mess, with construction debris spilling into the room
-The toilet wasn't bolted to the floor and slid around
-The hot water, when working, was inconsistent, so it was either cold or scalding
-The door of one of the cabinets was broken
-Much of the room and outside area smelled like raw sewage
-The advertised "free internet" actually costs 30LE/hour

Except for the sewage smell, none of these things alone would be that overwhelming--but even when we reported problems, they took forever to be fixed.

This place is being renovated, and so I could overlook some things like the poor state of landscaping and the construction debris everywhere. But would it be so hard to sweep up outside the hotel rooms? Or only rent rooms that are actually finished?

My expectations weren't especially high, but I was still surprised and disappointed. We had a very low rate, which is why the room didn't seem any worse than it was.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Ramada Ras Sudr Resort

Reviewed March 7, 2009

it was my first time there and my overall opinion ...... i don`t like it
for the surrprise there was a snake in our room..the good thing about that they`ve changed our "double room" to a "royal sweet", but there is no house keeping,no sevice, bad food
but a great beach and some how good scenes.however, i think they need to re-look at the hotel again at least to be good to stay in it

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We went mainly to windsurf and it was the most convenient hotel to stay at. I was disappointed with how run down it was. There was only two good thing about the hotel --the location for kitesurfers and windsurfers, and the room was quite spacious. But as hotel goes, it was really run down. The tiles needed new grouting, there was chips all over the walls in our room, and the shower curtain had mold all over. During dinner, instead of using glasses for drinks, we were given plastic cups every night. Felt more like a cafeteria at a camp site. The food was ok but towards the end of the week, I was dying for hot food. The water pressure for showers was interesting. The first night I nearly got scalded by hot water. Then I realise the water pressure has a cycle to it, it was weak then progressively gets stronger but the temperature also increase with the pressure. So after figuring out that this was the cycle of the water, you just step to one side of the shower when the water got too hot. They must have plumbing problems, as the toilet smelled of sewage and we had to close the bathroom door to the bedroom. One other guest we knew had a room that was near some sewage site or perhaps there was a leak in a pipe, he had to use duck tape to tape his windows so that he would get minimal smell coming into his room. I was glad we didn't have that room. Our room was connected by a flimsy door to the room next door, and you could hear their conversation. We heard another guest complaining that their neighbour had a party and they could not sleep all night. I was once again glad we didnt' have that room. We went when there was Egyptian holiday, so there were quite a few egyptians staying which was fine. But during meal times, the buffet when they were there I hated because they dont' have a concept of queues so they just butt in even if you were in a queue. I learned quickly and whenever they were there, I did not stay in a queue. Was glad when they all left. We have decided that for the price, there are many more choices you have in Egypt. We heard that the food at Ramada Ras Sudr was better than the Green Ras Sudr which is scary because it was just ok, can't imagine what it is like at the other hotel. Thought I must say we didn't have any bowel problems which was good. Apparently the hotel does not provide any trips into town or anything like that because they are afraid that tourist would not eat and buy from them. I wonder why. Needless to say we won't be returning as we have been to other egyptian resort and for the money you can get a better deal else where. We will miss the dolphins while we windsurf (that only happened on one day).

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ChicwicLondon
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I was trying to make a reservation @ Ramada Ras Sudr. The guy replied my phone was very rude. He left me on hold twice each for more than 5 minutes. He tried for the third time to do it again, I told him what's wrong with you, this is the third time to hold my call, he simply hanged up the phone and ended the call without any word. It is really very bad experience, it is really good that I didn't go to such hotel.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 1, 2008

My wife and i have lived in egypt for over 8 year,s

we needed a break from the hussle and bussle of Cairo.

This was a mistake,

We arrived on the thursday afternoon, to a very run down hotel complex,
the reception was badly run, could'nt find our booking even after my wife phoned and confirmed the booking,

Room clean as you would get in and low cost hotel, so not 100%

Food was really bad even for egyptian standards, the breakfast was cheese bread eggs,there even was a lack of butter
and jam.

Windsurfing Centre was well run and the service was good,
the beach was very dirty, rubbish paper towls, litter bins over flowing with water bottles and rubbish a like, it look like no one has every raked the beach or even cleaned it,
we where going to stay for two nights, we didnt
after what we had seen we payed and left,, was it with the three hour drive no was it worth the 75 pound sterling No would i go there again No, would i recommend this hotel Never,
Ramada need to sort this out and invest some money, to bring it up to standards

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happy2Cairo
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. My wife, daughter, grand daughter, and I all went for a week at the resort. The food was excellent and there was nightly entertainment. We had a wonderful time there. There was also facilities for wind surfing which was a pleasure to watch. The beach was very clean and the water was crystal clear. We have purchased a couple weeks of timeshare there since our wonderful experience.

We have visited Hurghada before this and also had some good times there as well but Ras Sudr was more appealing to my family and I. It was less crowded and less touristy but with the comforts one would expect at a resort. We drove there since we live in the suburbs of Cairo (2 hours) so that was also a great thing being so close since Hurghada is 5-6 hours from Cairo.

The beach was only a two minute walk from out Chalet so that is another plus. We would be happy to help anyone get a timeshare if interested it is really a hidden treasure.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FutureHome2000
Reviewed January 11, 2008

It was my second time here, previously I visited them about a year ago. I can say that the decay of the hotel is visible. From what I heared it used to be Hilton, but now Ramada owns it and it looks like no money is invested.

positive
- a great kitesurfing location. good wind, a lot of space, very few people kiting
- rooms are quite big and the bathrooms are still ok
- ask at the reception for the upgrade to the suite (has two rooms), there are not many visitors
- the food is ok. sometimes in egypt you can not find a single thing to eat at the hotel restaurant. Here the food is quite ok.
- staff is ok. they are not great, but they are not looking to reap you off all the time like in some other hotels

negative
- no money is invested in renovation, everything is falling apart slowly. need to mention - it is more visible outside, inside is ok
- staff does not speak english well. usuallu there is one person among
them who does, so just find the manager if you have a complicated request
- standard egyptian service - we were asking to get a new towel for two days
- aircon was not working in our room

will i visit again? yes. it's not all that bad and it's a great place for kite surfing

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Cancun Sokhna Beach Resort Managed by Accorhotels
Porto South Beach
Porto South Beach
#3 of 26 in Ain Sukhna

Been to Ramada Ras Sudr Resort? Share your experiences!