“Clean and Neat but did not feel special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Concord Suites

and 1 more site!
The Concord Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Clean and Neat but did not feel special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Overall let me start by saying the rooms were impeccable. A 2 room suite not very big but very up-to-date. Pool area clean, pools nice. If you want a leave me alone experience ths place is probably great. What I felt was missing was any kind of "resort" feel you would expect for $300 a night. You couldnt sit outside by the pool and have a drink or lunch. No Breakfast available. The hotel is bascially a syndciation of privately owned rooms magaed by a real estate mgt company. It is not a hotel. Across the street is the drfitwood. Lively with indoor/outdoor dining, happy hour, pool service and is right on the beach. I am not saying anything bad about concord but what I am asying is next time definitly trying drfitwood.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Voorhees, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at The Concord Suites. It is a good place if you have small children. There are two kiddie pools attached to the larger pools. It is very clean and I love the no smoking policy. However, the parking spaces are very narrow and if you have a large SUV, it could be a problem. I had a problem with guests parking over the white line which made it impossible to park in the next space for any sized vehicle. It is possible that they were new staying there because everyone else seemed to get the parking situation. The bathrooms are small. In fact the units themselves are not that large so if you have more than four people it will get tight. I was only there with one other person and we were fine. I thought the property was a bit noisy. When someone turned on the water for a shower in the next unit, I had to turn the TV up to hear it over the water running when I was in the living room, it wasn't too bad in the bedroom. However, it is still better to stay there than at the other hotels across the street who charge at least $100.00 or more per night for less amenities. I would recommend The Concord Suites.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Irwin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My daughter and I along with two granchildren uner 4 stayed a partial week (7/30 thru 8/02 2012)
and found the accomodations to be comfortable and clean. The kitchen was very adequate and well stocked. We were amazed to return home after beach time to fine our rooms once again immaculate and sand free. I would happily return to the Concord Suites and plan on recommending this beach hotel to friends and family. The only difficulty and this is mentioned in other reviews is that WIFI is not adequate enough, a stronger signal is definitely needed.
Just a little mention for a sand escape to families traveling with children.................go to the Cape may County Zoo. It is fabulous!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lks38
Dix Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at the Concord Suites for the first time this summer because of our daughter's dance competition, which was held in Wildwood. We wanted to stay in a clean, spacious hotel that was near Wildwood, but in a town that had a beautiful beach and not as busy as Wildwood. A friend recommended the town of Avalon, which is just stunning from the beach to the beautiful homes throughout the entire town. We did some research on hotels in Avalon and decided to stay at the Concord Suites, which far exceeded our every expectation. We will return to the Concord Suites next summer and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hyde Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have been vacationing in Avalon for many years. I recently traveled to Avalon with three teenage boys. I always use Trip Advisor to help me select hotels, restaurants, etc... Since The Concord Suites were rated #1, I figured that would be a good place to stay. It was almost perfect. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
- hotel property & rooms are extremely clean, surprisingly so for a beach hotel
- rooms are spacious and decorated very nicely
- lots of storage room in the bedroom and kitchen
- kitchen was amazing, probably more cabinets than my kitchen at home!!! Lots of helpful ammenities such as a toaster, pots & pans, utensils, dishware; suggestion: full size coffee pot & a pitcher would be helpful
- separate cans for trash and recyclables,
- DVD's available in the main office
- clean pools, pool toys available; suggestion: keep the pools open until 10pm, many families are just getting back from dinner and such around 8pm and would love to take a dip in the pool, especially since the temperatures have cooled down
- good location, beach is across the street
- A/C was awesome, never had any issues with temperature, especially impressive since it was HOT, HOT, HOT during our stay
- queen size beds in the bedroom were great, as opposed to the typical full size
- laundry facility on site with change available in the main office; suggestion, post the approximate times for the washer & dryer to save one multiple trips checking to see if their loads were done ($1.75 per load for the washer as well as the dryer)

Cons
- pullout couch was EXTREMELY uncomfortable (see narrative below)
- no ramp to the parking lot area which made it difficult when using the luggage cart and beach coolers
- parking spots very narrow, not very accomodating for SUV's (note: I was told a few days after check in that there was another parking area around the corner for SUV's - not convenient nor was I informed when I checked in and they asked for the make of my vehicle)
- no area to dry bathing suits & towels in the bathroom; suggestion: a clothesline in the shower, drying racks, hooks in the shower, etc...
- location is a bit far from the "main drag" - a little too far to ride bikes
- WiFii is not very good; I was only able to access the internet twice
- they charge for ice; less expensive to buy a bag at Wawa

Overall, I really liked this hotel. As the mother of a baseball player, we travel around a lot for tournaments and have stayed in many hotels. Also, as a beach lover, I try to get to the shore every summer. Last year we stayed at the Days Inn in Wildwood and the room was just ok in comparison. I was very impressed with how clean this hotel was as well as our rooms. Cindy, our cleaning lady, is amazing. Each day we would return to an immaculate room, completely free of sand - that's impressive. The Concord Suites, overall, is probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in, especially a beach hotel. However, my stay was only ALMOST perfect.

My issue is with the pullout bed as well as the poor customer service associated with this situation. We arrived on a Sunday and I spent about an hour trying to get comfortable on the bed. Finally, I gave up and called down to the main office. I explained the situation. I also explained that I did not expect a pullout to be as comfortable as a regular bed. I have slept in many pullout beds and usually I am able to do something to make it more comfortable (such as putting a towel between the bar and the mattress). But there was nothing I could do to make this mattress more comfortable. There were bumps and slopes and I just could not get comfortable. I asked if they had another mattress, an egg crate, or a rollaway bed. They said they did not have any of those things and suggested I sleep in the bedroom. I explained there were three teenage boys in the bedroom and it would be awkward and inappropriate for me to sleep in there. So they suggested I sleep on the couch. I asked that they make a note of my complaint so that someone would help me in the morning. I was very disappointed and frustrated by their unsympathetic attitude. Night #1 sleeping on the couch.

The next day, I did not hear from anyone before we left for the beach around 10:30am. I returned about an hour later to get something for one of the boys and Cindy was in my room cleaning. She told me that someone did come up and look at the mattress and they said it looked good. She also told me it wasn't that old. I told her that old/new is relative with hotel furnishings since the wear and tear is different from normal use. I actually pulled out the bed and asked her to lay on it. She didn't really want to, but she did, and she was able to feel the awkward shape of the mattress. Cindy said she would bring me two additional blankets to help even out the mattress. I tried it that night but it didn't help. Night #2 on the couch.

The next morning I went to speak with someone in the main office. They said that the mattress was fairly new and no one else had ever complained before. They suggested that I sleep in the bedroom. Again, I explained that there were three teenage boys in there and it wasn't an option. Again, I was directed to sleep on the couch. Night #3 on the couch.

I am unhappy not only with the condition of the pullout mattress, but also by the insensitive and unhelpful attitude by the staff. I feel that I paid a significant amount of money to stay at a finer hotel, only to have slept on the couch for 3 nights. For the money I spent on this room, I do not feel I should have had to sleep on the couch ($249 per night + $15 per extra person = $279 per night), I would have expected a better mattress and better service. When you stay at a lower end hotel, you aren't surprised or disappointed by less than great ammenities.

When I checked out Wednesday morning, I actually expected the general manager to come speak with me. No. I thought perhaps the woman at the front desk would inquire about my stay. No. Surely she would leave me with her wish that I return to the Concord Suites and come visit them again. No. I left the Concord Suites feeling like I didn't matter, I was just another person who rented their rooms.

This makes me recall another review. They basically said that the Concord Suites were a great place to stay unless you have a problem. That is exactly how I feel. The accomodations were very clean and very nice. However, no one seemed to really care that I had an uncomfortable place to sleep. I think it is sad that a hotel encourages their guests to sleep on the couch.

I don't really care if the mattress is practically new. I don't really care that no one else has ever complained about it before. What i do care about is the fact that I paid for something I did not receive, a mattress to sleep on. I care about how poorly I was treated. I care about the fact that I did not get a good nights sleep the entire time I stayed at the Concord Suites.

I plan on returning to Avalon in the fall for the Seafood Festival, and again next summer. Although I really did like the Concord Suites very much, I don't know if I will stay here again. There are other options literally next door and across the street.

I would recommend this hotel to people with CAUTION. As stated earlier, it's a great place to stay unless you have a problem.

Room Tip: WiFii not very good on the western side; families with children should request to stay on the first...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank katy0970
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Concord Suites. This place is WONDERFUL. We have been staying at the Concord for almost 20 years and we will never stay anywhere else in Avalon. The entire property is spotless. Rooms are exceptionally clean -- the cleanest we've ever seen and we travel a lot. We always stay on the 2nd floor in the section that is assigned to Sue, the best housekeeper ever. She always goes out of her way to make our stay very comfortable and we appreciate her kindness. We especially like the high standards the Concord adheres to. No loud noise, partying or smoking is allowed and public areas are clean and safe. Hotel is one block to the beach. 2 queen size beds are very comfortable. Ample storage space. Suites are large and are perfect for 2 adults for long stays. Nice kitchenette and bath. 2 large pools. Bike racks. Daily newspapers available. Eco-friendly. Onsite parking. Casual restaurant/bar onsite. Can't say enough good things about the Concord. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paa9
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The rooms were clean. The people working there were very nice. The whole motel was clean. The restaurant was OK and I would give it a 3. We plan to be back. Avalon is a very nice town and beaches.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dlennp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
#18 of 37 in Cape May
Icona Cape May
Icona Cape May
#1 of 37 in Cape May

Been to The Concord Suites? Share your experiences!