“Good atmosphere, Food hit or miss”
Review of Sea Grill

Sea Grill
Ranked #16 of 67 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband loved his steak. I loved my soup and hated my fishy flounder stuffed with tasteless crab imperial. Sides, kids meals and desserts were very good. Salad bar is a nice touch. Didn't particularly care for having to order my own food at the window. Service was very good and very friendly servers. Ambiance was good except for the crowd that forms in front of the chalkboard menu and the ordering counter. I think they should invest in a printed menu. Worth trying, just don't order stuffed flounder.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Love that it is open all year and never too busy to grab a meal and sit at the beautiful bar. Salad bar always hits the spot.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This place has become a new spot for my family and seems to get better all the time. They have a nice salad bar with the best garlic dressing I have ever had. The only menu is on a chalk board at the kitchen. They specialize in steak and seafood. My son wanted to order the surf and turf, and I was hesitant given the price. However, I saw it leave the kitchen and ordered it for my son and me. It was absolutely delicious. I also recommend the fire on the mountain which is a fillet with crab meat. The sides are expensive but tasty, and the peanut butter pie is awesome. Again, this place is a shore restaurant so it's expensive but worth the price.

1  Thank jmcalabro
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Been to the sea grill several times in the past few years with my family. I am not a chef but I have a lot of experience in cooking.

Last meal there I ordered the roasted duck with a soy sauce based sauce for about $26. What I received was duck that was maybe roasted and they flash fried to be brought up to temp. First bite into it was a mouthful of oil along with the meat.

Didn't know roasting involved frying!

To top it off the soy sauce based sauce was literally soy sauce. The duck sat in a pool of straight up soy sauce that flooded my plate. The bottom half of the duck had absorbed so much soy sauce, that it was not eatible. My wife ordered the chicken Marsala. The dish was fair. Tasted as if the sauce base was from a jar. You can go to less expensive restaurants and order chicken Marsala that is made fresh and half the cost.

I like the idea of going up to the window to order your own meal from the cooks, but it should not be the same window they are expediting food from, and right next to the salad bar. Too much going on in a small area. Not a good set up for the patrons or the servers.

Staff was very friendly an accommodating as we had two children with us. Overall, I wouldn't waste my money here. Too expensive and not that tasty.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I'm on the fence about this place - the food can be fairly good but out of a recent meal of 6 dinners, no one's meal was really good. The salad bar is disappointing - odd offerings, not enough offerings and poor layout (right in the way of everyone trying to order their meals - log jam!), I'm still in a bit of shock over the evening's check - prices are very steep for what is given, and everything is a la carte. I think on that issue alone, I'd probably try one of the better restaurants in Cape May than return here...