“GREAT Bloody Mary's!”
Review of Rock 'n Chair

Rock 'n Chair
Reserve with OpenTable
Rock 'n Chair is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 65 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 24th
Description: Upscale shore casual with open air feel and outside patio seating. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, opening at 8 am. Great breakfast Bloody Mary's and breakfast cocktail menu, and our new Martini menu is sure to please.
Mahwah, New Jersey
“GREAT Bloody Mary's!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Thanks Bert! Perfect Bloody Mary's! Stopped back later in the week to check out the Martini Bar. Was a little disappointed it wasn't open. But had some fun at the bar meeting folks. Nice place. Definitely recommend for a fun drink out!

Visited July 2014

Hopatcong, New Jersey
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Food and service were outstanding, had to compliment the chef on the sesame tuna, fantastic. Will definitely go again next time we’re in Avalon.

Severna Park, Maryland
“Not keeping up with the Joneses”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I've been coming to Avalon virtually every summer during my 50 yrs on the planet. This was about the 5th time I'd been to the Rocking Chair. Meals were always solid and fairly priced. I've never had a complaint until last night. The place was not very busy and now I know why. 3 of us ordered the surf (4 oz lobster tail) and turf (8oz ny strip) special. I asked if I could have my steak between medium rare and rare. You would have thought I asked for gold bullion. The lobster was chewy and bland and the steak was thin and fatty -- a really poor cut of meat. All 3 of us had the same experience. I also had a side Caesar salad with mine. It's tough to mess up a Caesar salad but the lettuce was not crisp (very wilty) and the dressing was closer to oil and vinegar than Caesar.
The other folks with us got the seafood Mac and cheese and the mahi. Both enjoyed their meals more than the 3 of us. I tasted the seafood Mac and it was good.
Drinks were solid (always liked the bar here) and the had Blanton's bourbon and didn't charge an outrageous price for it.
The bottom line is there are too many other choices in this price range that put out a better product. The rocking horse needs to pay attention to detail or they will find themselves struggling to stay in business in a very competitive market.
While I wouldn't say the service was poor, it wasn't attentive either. Reading complaints in that area below didn't surprise me.

1 Thank Dave H
USA
“Slow start”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

After being seated, we waited 10 minutes and no one approached our table. Other tables were seated and waited on. We finally had to flag down a waiter, who turned out to be delightful and very accommodating. The lobster bisque was good, the tuna with wasabi was excellent. My husband enjoyed his mussels immensely. We asked about sitting outside, there were available tables when we arrived and still some when we left, but were told we had to sit inside.

We also ate here with 2 other couples during restaurant week. The fried zucchini blossoms mostly tasted of fried bread crumbs, and the peach dessert tasted mostly of liquor that it was flambed in. Overall, the meal was good and everyone seemed please with their food.

• Visited June 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Martinis and good food.”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

They are very generous with their Martinis and mine was made perfectly. The Mac and cheese which my son had was to die for. My daughter's filet was cooked perfectly as we asked. The service was great and the outdoor deck is where to eat on a nice night. Happily pleased!