“Perfect place in Avalon/Stone Harbor”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Windrift Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Avalon
Maryland
“Perfect place in Avalon/Stone Harbor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

The reason that I am writing this is to help anyone who is looking for a hotel in either Avalon or Stone Harbor. Look no further and book your stay. My husband and I had a hard time finding a place to stay with our 3 year old son for his first trip to the beach. We are from western Maryland and had a 5-hour drive so we wanted something nice. This is the perfect hotel. You will be close to all sorts of entertainment and things to do with your children. There is a park right next door and the beach is clean. The hotel is clean and the restaurant is great with a nice staff and great and affordable food. We drove to Wildwood (20 min) one night and Cape May (20 min) another for shopping, eating, etc. We will stay at the Windrift again and we are glad we found this hotel. By the way, we do not have a GPS but we used mapquest and the directions were perfect. If you are not from NJ, there are several roads to take to the beach and so I would recommend directions.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Woodbury NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

This past winter, I received a note in the mail that I had a credit for a one night's stay. I had forgotten all about it. The amazing thing is, it was from about 12 years ago!!! I called The Windrift and Yes they said they were going through old files and discovered we still had the credit which had to be used no later than July 23rd, 2009. I took advantage of it on July 13th to take my son to the shore for the one night. Our room was great (3rd Floor) and we made sure to eat in the restaurants since I felt the staff was so kind to remind me about the credit. I mean, how many hotels would remind you about a credit that was 12 years old??????????? Stay there...beach was gorgeous, as well.
Rochelle Popivchak

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

The Windrift resort is a low key gem located right on the Avalon beach- I found this hotel to be perfect for my family with young children- the rooms were really simple, clean, and had fridges. The location was really great for the beach and within walking distance ( bring a stroller if you have younger ones) to restaurants, shops etc. in Stone Harbor. The outdoor pool was clean and perfect for kids. I have to say the waitstaff at the pool were so friendly and efficient- we had great service each day! The menu is very reasonably priced and had enough variety to please all- and really delicious and fresh - I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great location, pool, restaurant etc- we had a fun time and would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

We did not stay at the hotel but we did have the opportunity to visit the Windrift for lunch, dinner and happy hours during the rainy week my family spent in Stone Harbor. We have been coming here for many years and were all very happy with the overall improvements made to the food menus and the beach bar - updated bar area including couches, new logo, tables and chairs. Great casual dining selections at the beach bar including a new menu for brick oven pizzas. We sampled a few sandwiches and multiple pizzas. They were all delicious. There is sushi available but we stuck to the basics. Even the chicken wings on their weekly Wing Night were an improvement from years past. One minor complaint - why charge a cover on Wing Night? Perhaps they should only charge the people who are going to be drinking the reduced price beer.

Dinner for a large party in the Windrift dining room was also well done and our waitress (Arlene?) was very friendly and professional.

Can't comment on the hotel rooms. Last time we stayed there (2005) the rooms were in need of an overhaul which may have already happened. The Windrift has the best location on Seven Mile Island. Very glad that the owners are investing money to update this perfectly located, sentimental favorite.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I recently spent Memorial Day Weekend at the Windrift. This was our first trip to Avalon and we were both very pleased with the accommodations at the Windrift. We arrived late on Friday night and checked out Monday morning. Our room was just what we expected. We stayed in room type C - the efficiency divided. The hotel may be just a bit dated, but the room and the hotel itself were very clean. There is a pool, restaurant, and beach bar on the premises. Upon check-in we were given a $90 food credit for the hotel. We were advised that the food credit could only be used for food and not alcohol, but we were able use the credit toward a combination of food and alcohol at the beach bar. $90 was gone in no time! The service at the restaurant was a little slow, but I would attribute this to the staff getting oriented during the first big weekend of the summer. The parking situation was a little tight, but we didn't have any trouble finding a parking spot. The oceanfront location is very convenient. Plus, the rates for Memorial Day Weekend were extremely affordable. We were expecting to pay $165 per night for double occupancy, but upon checkout we discovere that we had been charged $165 per night for Friday and Saturday nights and only $109 for Sunday night. We were pleasantly surprised by this. Overall we were extremely pleased with the hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

The staff and especially the manager are extremely unprofessional. The rooms were disgusting for the astronomical price we paid. The pool was not clean and neither were the towels they gave us. I would not recommend this place to anyone anywhere for any reason.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank bluedge21
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

We strongly advise anyone not to stay in any of the oceanfront rooms on Friday or Saturday nights. The bar noise level is unbearable. The live band started at 9 p.m. and did not end till after 1 a.m. The bandstand was literally under our bedroom. Our walls literally shook with the noise. We got almost no sleep. We complained, of course, and the manager claimed he had warned us about "entertainment" when we booked the room. He took half off the rate for that night, without us asking for it, which indicates he has had many such complaints in the past. He never apologized. No amount of warning or disclaimer can excuse this noise level. It is simply unacceptable for a room costing $380 a night. Spend a little money on soundproofing! That night was the worst night my wife and I have ever spent in any hotel, and we have traveled extensively.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank windy50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avalon
Icona Golden Inn
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,110 reviews
La Mer Beachfront  Inn
La Mer Beachfront Inn
#17 of 37 in Cape May

Been to Windrift Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!