“Quality Fusion empanadas in a cool atmosphere”
Review of The Smiley Gringo - CLOSED

The Smiley Gringo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were given a heads up on this spot by the owner of Hostal Acqui where we were staying. We drove around Salinas and happened across it so stopped in. We were seated in a cool outdoor patio area with a fire pit/table and ordered a few beers and one of each of the empanadas offered. The Savory ones we ate first with the Morrocan being my favorite with a salty,sweet combo of beef. The Indian was good too but a little heavy on the curry and the Jalapeno popper was another standout. The sweeter ones were not bad but I would stick with the savory ones personally. We also met the owner (I can't remember his name) who introduced himself as "The Happy Gringo" and seemed to fit the part at the bar. I would definitely return

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Great place all the way around...food, service, atmosphere... 5 stars. Looking forward to returning and gladly recommend.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Great empanadas, great drinks and great ambience. Surely a place to recommend to my friends and relatives.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Kevin & Molly have done a wonderful job of creating a small haven with limited menu. This is a plus, at least for me, here in Ecuador. They are not trying to specialize in too many menu items, and it can be tasted in the perfection of their empanadas. Testament to our enjoying their food, we ordered empanadas to take home and freeze.

The establishment sits back from the Malecon, but it is quiet and peaceful in the rear where the majority of the activity takes place. There is a bit of greenery, but not to the point where they draw mosquitos. I sat outside without getting one mosquito bit, which is unheard of for me. There is a small (3 stationary bar stools) bar area and many tables/chairs. There is a large grill and a table with a fire feature in the center. The bath is a shared men/women, which is not my favorite situation, but they are well maintained. The restaurant is extremely clean.

The staff are amazing. All of them are very quick to your service, friendly, and warm spirited. They all speak English & Spanish. We went twice already and the quality of the food did not change from one visit to the next.

1  Thank DrBublak
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just opened, went there this last week a little bit of the tourist track.
We got out of the taxi and approached the place and we're not sure if it was open?
Just then Kevin the owner came out and greeted us and beckoned us to go through to the back, this we did, and there we found eight other people that we new.
We sat down in a very clean and spacious area surrounded by high walls, to the rear is the bar and to our left is the BBQ area, the toilets and kitchen were in the main house which passed through to get to the rear.
The toilets were clean, the area to the rear is not friendly to people with mobility issues, but they do have as eating area in the front.
The waitress was friendly and spoke English well, the menus was limited but what I had was very good, I asked for the burger with all the trimmings and well done.
The burger came with fries and I asked for it to be cooked well, it did not make it to well I did eat it anyway but passed on my concern.
I would say go and try it out it could become a very nice place to hang out, there were no TVs and for me that is a good thing.