“Small kitchen??”

Common Grounds cafe & waffle house
Ranked #33 of 78 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: International
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I had visited Common Grounds on my last visit to Salinas last year, I must have come with friends and family more than ten times. I enjoyed the food and specially the coffee. Service was never great because they didn't have enough staff but they tried their best, plus you have to patient. I just arrived yesterday to Salinas and I took a long walk from my place to Common Grounds happily to enjoy breakfast, it was very busy needless to say. I found a table and placed my order as usual. It has been at least 20 minutes to get my iced cappuccino and 40 to get my food. To me this is ridiculous, perhaps the kitchen can't handle this much demand. I overheard other patrons feeling this way too. I have to say that If it wasn't for Mario who was trying to keep everyone happy I would have walked out. This place is good but they need to get the food and drinks out in a decent amount of time.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

There are very few establishments in Ecuador that serve a US/Canadian style breakfast- Common Grounds is the place to go. My family and I frequent Common Grounds every time we are in Salinas. The pancakes and waffles are excellent as is the coffee. It can get crowded on Sat and Sun mornings and so it best to arrive before 9 am. Service is sometimes lacking when the place gets crowded. One personal gripe, I don't like the Argentine backpacker-musicians that play their music for tips around 10 am. I want to enjoy my breakfast without the noise!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

What a treat Common Grounds is! Excellent coffee, great food, great prices, very close to Hostal Aqui, were we stayed. Truly a real unexpected treat for a person who doesn't like to do without her "American" coffee, yes, even when in Ecuador!!! :) Very friendly folks and really good service too!

1  Thank cbandjr
Reviewed March 21, 2014

This place is across the street from Big Ralph's Hostel. We went there craving some breakfast more like we have in the states. The prices are high for Salinas. The food ended up being good. The pancakes were delicious (while different from U.S.) Our problem was the service. We accept slower service in Salinas since that is the norm but we ordered coffee first and never got it. They brought us my wife's plate then a few minutes later brought us my plate and never brought our drinks. We had to find someone and ask for them and there was only one other table there.

1  Thank MRMartins
Reviewed March 1, 2014

First the waitress was obviously bred for beauty, no brains what so ever. Coffee was just average I don't know what some of these people drank here but not comparable to Starbucks by any means. They don't toast their toast it was still white. Pancakes were ok hash browns were awful. What can I say we did not enjoy it.