“testing tge water”

and 1 more site!
Big Ralph's Hostal
Ranked #4 of 47 Salinas B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My first time staying in a hostal.
I wanted to save some money. If I had I would move to ahotel if the hostal was to rough.
when I travel on business I stay in hotels where the rooms are cleaned but I would never sit on the bed cover.
Let me tell you I would have Eaton off the floor in this place it was so clean. The sheets walls and bathroom.
When I arrived I was met and inducted. Into a family. Everyone even the other guests were all smiles. And saying come and join us when you are setteled in.
This was not what I expected a nice clean room with a modern bathroom very quiet split ac Tv and a restaraunt and 5 minites from the beach.
I tell you I could not have done better if I had won the lottery.
not only have I saved money I have made new friends and will be telling all my friends what there missing is a family that wants to make your stay the best it can be..

Room Tip: All the rooms are good as far as I could tell
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jj s

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This place is just off the main drag, so you can drive past it and miss a wonderful culinary experience in a place where I thought I would have to eat rice and beans on my budget.
My first visit was just for the fish and chips, a meal known throughout the world, the presentation and the quality exceeded all my expectations. The batter was light and the two pieces of fish were done the way I remember back in England. The chips (fries for the Americans) were cooked just right, a nice wedge of lemon and a dollop of tartar sauce, and the condiment that made it all come together was the malt vinegar.
This meal was washed down with some great conversation and a local beer.
The chef is a young family man who trained and worked in some of the best hotels in London, and it shows in the pride he takes even in a dish such as fish and chips.
The menu contains some very tasty dishes, the likes of which you would not experience in the more expensive hotels in the Salinas area.
Since my first meal I have been back several times, having a different dish each time and have not been disappointed, so miss this place and your stay will not be complete.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jodie M
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I had been told by a realtor that reservations had been made for me at Big Ralpf's. When I arrived, tired and alone, there were no reservations but I was still welcomed with open arms as if I were a long lost family member. I intended to stay only 3 days while looking for a condo/apartment to rent. This turned out to be 14 days, but it seemed like I was a part of a loving and caring family who helped me adjust to my first time in Ecuador. Don't misunderstand me, I am no young kid traveling alone needing to be mothered. I am well into my 60's and in most places am left to fend for myself, but not at Ralph's. In fact the day I moved to my condo, I felt like I was leaving home, and being Christmas Eve, they didn't want me to be alone so I was included in the family festivities.
Others have clearly addressed the spotlessness and care with which they maintain the hostal and I concur with all of those reports. Believe me I would not stay someplace for 14 days if it didn't meet those standards. I must also agree with all of the reports about Ralph's food. I am a foodie and have extremely high standards. Even if you don't need a place to stay you owe it to yourself to at least go there to eat. It is unquestionably fine dining in a casual setting.
This is the first time I have ever written a review, but it is well deserved!
Thank you Ralph, Andie, Samantha, David, Mom and Dad, Pia and Carlos, brothers, Sandie and Richie, and I can't forget my buddy Molly whose loving licks and nudges for attention helped me to not miss my dogs so much, for making my introduction to Ecuador a positive and rewarding experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Rogiedodgie
Reviewed February 12, 2012

i stayed at big ralph's for three weeks and plan an extended re visit in the near future. the owners(ralph and andrea) are friendly and respectful to all their guests. the rooms are very clean and the restaurant and bar are rated at the best in the salinas area---ralph is an experienced chef from england with his fish and chips, also home made currys as his specialties. i walked on the malecon daily. the beach was just minutes away with water activities available. tom's jet ski service comes to mind and was great. the area is a small town with weekend beach traffic. i look forward to staying at ralph's soon.

Room Tip: contact andrea in advance for accomodations. she will advise you on travel and other things to help...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank dennis b
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is a family run affair - Ralph is the european trained Chef, an Andea does the million other things that keep the business going. There are two small children in the family, and they add to the fun. David, the baby, is the spitting image of Ralph, so much so that I call him "Little Ralph. Rooms are spotless, linens cleaned and changed, and the food is to die for. You don't have to go fancy to get a gastric treat - try one of Ralph's burgers. Everyone there raved on them. Family runned means you are invited in to their family. I had the pleasure of staying a week, and I can hardly wait to get back. And the rates? Ridiculously low. A real bargain!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Smilinfred
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The rooms are very reasonably priced and clean. The owners treated us like family and made us feel most welcome. Breakfast was included every morning with freshly baked bread. Of course, the fish and chips were phenomenal. We never did find any English speaking television shows in our room, but that didn't bother us. The central patio area was most comfortable and the music Ralph played was very good. The beach was a short block away and easily accessible! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ingrid s
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a very nice and friendly place to stay, situated just at the start of the beach area, literally a few minutes’ walk away from the center of Salinas. The room was very clean and tidy, with full air condition, cable TV and private is bathroom. The restaurant was excellent serving traditional English plates which were always presented well and very tasty. There was a bar next to the restaurant which made a perfect place to relax with a cool beer. The owner is obviously very conscientious about keeping very high standards with the restaurant, rooms and general overall maintenance. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay at a well-run family hostel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family