“Nice piece of Britain in Salinas”

Big Ralph's Hostal & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 85 Restaurants in Salinas
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: RALPH JONES, British Chef, having worked in culinary institutions in the UK, opened his own business in Salinas - Ecuador. A casual restaurant offering modern and traditional British food, in addition to quality and high standards based on extensive experience.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My wife and I have both lived in the UK for several years and are fond of British food. Big Ralph has done a great job recreating classic British dishes with ingredients found here in Salinas. My wife loves Fish and Chips and though the fish wasn't Cod (like in the UK), it was delicious. The chips were especially good--we later found that the secret ingredient is some drippings in the oil they are fried in! I tried the Thai curry one night and the Indian beef curry on our second visit. Both were very tasty. I was leering about the beef curry as beef in Ecuador is often tough--this was very tender and tasty. Ralph even does his own take on Naan bread which is a good substitute! Desserts are classics as well--nice spounge with carmel sauce one night and a rice pudding the other night. Big Ralph is very personable and comes out of the kitchen to engage with the guests. I would highly recommend this restaurant while in Salinas!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My experience at Ralph's Restaurant is excellent. Great atmosphere, excellent food and great service. What else you can ask from a restaurant?

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Ralph is famous in Salinas for his fish and chips, but don't be fooled by the name. My husband enjoyed a plate of corvine with vegetables and a side order of the best chips in Ecuador, I relished a moist chicken breast surrounded by gnocchi and an array of tasty vegetables. Not only were our meals absolutely sumptuous, but they were works of art on a plate, beautifully arranged and presented. The sauces for meat and vegetables were Thanksgiving Day delicious!! Breads and deserts are baked on site and, if you are as lucky as we were, you'll be at Ralph's the day he makes his chocolate torte with strawberry glaze and ice cream. The chocolate was smooth and silky- the best melt in your mouth desert I have ever had. Bravo, Ralph!!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The fish and chips are excellent, Ralph is a chef with outstanding skills and fun wit. We were there in the low season and Ralph came out and showed us around the place and all the improvements he has and is continuing to make.

We also had the Beef Curry, extremely tasty with an amazing flatbread. Tender meat with great curry sauce that should be used as a gravy for the chips. (Cause we did).

Ralph and his family are amazing hosts and made for a most excellent meal on our adventure to Salinas.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Big Ralph's is so much more than his famous (at least in Salinas) fish n chips. From seafood to steaks, salads or curry dishes you will come away from the table already planning your next visit and what other menu item's to try that will delight your palate. Be sure to save room for Chef Ralph's signature brownie with raspberry sauce!