Balandra Hotel
Priceline
$106
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsocean viewrooms are greatseafoodbeautiful hotelbox breakfastbreakfast buffetclean roomsair conditioninghotel restaurantspent nightscable tvlaundry serviceperfect locationsandwichthe main streetomeletnice pool
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I know this hotel is rated #1, but we had a lot of issues with this hotel. First, it is really not a beach hotel as it is almost 2 blocks off the beach. Second, we were without power and water for a shower in the morning before we left. Dinner was mediocre and breakfast was less than mediocre, maybe because they fixed it ahead of the power outage. We had asked the front desk to recommend a driver to Canoa and she said they had someone "connected to the hotel" who was very good and spoke some English. I agreed to a premium price of $50, understanding that someone connected to the hotel, etc. would be a premium. Turns out, the connection was that it was the father of an employee, Andres, and the father was a lousy driver, alternating between accelerator and brake for 2 hours when not necessary (we had other great drivers in Ecuador), he didn't speak English and I am quite certain was illiterate in Spanish as he didn't seem to be able to read highway signs...or his eyesight was bad, which would help explain his poor driving, too. All in all, an experience we won't repeat. And, Manta was a disappointment, too. If you want great beach, go north, especially to Canoa.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bruce H
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I spent my vacation in this hotel, it was very exelent time, thanks a lot for administration and personals. in this July I want tovist again this hotel to celebrate the Birthday of my friend. Very high services, clean, very beutuful restaurante and view. I will propose to friends also this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gafur J
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel with my family three times. The service is great. It is two blocks from the main beach (Murciélago). The food is great, with many seafood dishes. The gardens are filled with flowers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia F
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

After a week in the mountains and several hour flight delays traveling to Manta, it sure was nice to end up at the Balandra. After receiving our bags at the airport we walked out the door and there was our smiling shuttle driver holding up a sign with my name! I had made arrangements to stay there while delayed in the Quito airport through emails which were answered promptly. After checking In, enjoying a nice shower we noticed just how clean the place was. Walking barefoot on a hardwood floor after a shower in a beach town it was a surprise to see this level of cleanliness. Some of our stays in the mountains of Ecuador did not provide much service. Here they were on top of everything. It felt good. Our only problem was that they only had one night available. After feeding us a nice breakfast the next morning we searched with good wifi for our next room. After little luck I spoke to a nice young lady at the reception and she recommends another hotel just down the street that she told me she had checked out herself just for these occasions. Pretty darn good service.
Also, as it was very hot there after a week with no need for A/C in the mountains, their air conditioning was strong. All around nice place.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank badavy13
PaulSAH, Gerente at Balandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

We are very glad for your comments. We work very hard everyday to give our customers the best experience in their stay. Hope we can see you again.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is located one block from the beach, location is great if you dont have private transportation, they are building a new tower of suites next to the cabanas. The service is good just need to know that are mosquitos in the gardens..

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business