“Ocean Freakin' Awesome”

Ocean Freaks
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Manta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ocean Freaks if one of the biggest watersports operations in the region, we offer multiple water sport activities; leading in the Kiteboarding Industrie, Scuba diving and Sport Fishing. Ocean Freaks is also the first Ecuadorean Kiteboarding School operation from the beginning of the wind season from May threw January. IKO certified instructors will guide you threw the proces to become a new independent Kiteboarders with the ability to kite around the world safely. We have developed personalized and practical 1 on 1 courses for all ages, where all the necessary equipment - kite, board, life jacket, helmet - will be provided during the entire course for a safe practice. Our facilities also provide restaurant services, wifi and everything you need for you to spend a confortable day at the beach. We recently add it Scuba Diving and Deep sea fishing to our operation, managing by top certified instructor and fishing captains.
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Ocean Freakin' Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friend and I went to Manta specifically to learn to kiteboard. Neither of us had ever worked with more than a trainer kite. Ocean Freaks had us in the water and standing on day 2, we were riding both directions consistently by day 4, and by the end of the trip we had managed a few small airs (intentionally). Davo and his team are excellent teachers. Amazing place to learn to kite.

Also, Manta is a great place to practice your Spanish.

Visited May 2013

San Jose, Costa Rica
“January 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I visited Santa Maranita and Ocean Freaks last January to learn kitesurf. Marianita is a beautiful, long and uncrowded beach, therefore, it is perfect to learn. It was a pity the wind was gone, but there were other activities one could do: surf, kayak or simply enjoying the beach.
David, the owner, is a very nice person and he will assure that you have a great time while in Ocean Freaks.
Definitely recommended

Visited January 2013
“Best school ever !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Well i think ocean freaks is a complete kite surf school ! Because it has excelents intructors, specially de owner Davo ! He is very kind and friendly ! Also the best part of the school is that is located on a beautiful beach with a great weather.
My favorite part of the school is the great atmosphere that ocean freaks have!
I suggest to visit ocean freanks you will never regret it.
Isabella vera.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have to admit that I didn't know much about Ecuador (I live in New York City) as a destination for kiteboarding before my trip, but it turned out to be one of my best experiences with the sport since I started a couple years ago.

Ocean Freaks is a great place to learn, not just because of the wind in Marianita but because of the people that run this place. Javier is not only an incredible instructor, but is one of the most generous people I've ever met. This guy should be a diplomat for his country, as he showed us around town, took us to the best local spots for dinner, drove round trip to the airport in Quito (3 hour drive for a very reasonable price), and took us out to the local watering holes. Overall a great host and guide - even though we didn't ask for it - that's just the kinda guy he is. He even lent me his brand new kite for the afternoon... I didn't even ask, he just walked over and handed it to me.

I will be back to South America to kite again, and will absolutely be making a stop to see Javier and ride with Ocean Freaks.

Shane Woods

Visited November 2012
Carrollton, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Kite, Surf, Sand, and Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've known Davo for over 10 years and have watched him build Ocean Freaks to what it is today. I personally have visited the Ocean Freaks location in Santa Marianita four times from 2008-2012. Instructors are knowledgable, friendly, fun, and professional. You couldn't ask for a better instructor or kite surfing experience than what you get from Ocean Freaks!

Visited July 2012