“Comfortable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 39 Manta B&B and Inns
Glennallen, Alaska
“Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Could use some up-grading in the bathroom in the plumbing and fixtures. The Air Condioning was working great and a must when visiting. The Staff was great, however no much Eglish spoken. Rooms are clean, the poll and spa make for great relaxation and escape from the heat.

Room Tip: Credit Card machine was down when I was here, I had to pay my bill in cash.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AntaresManta, Gerente at Antares Hostal, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
Thank you very much for your comment. We try to improve all the time, not only in our service. We appreciate your comment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I reserved this place for a one night stay on my way up the coast in early December. I had been traveling for a few weeks, staying at some pretty basic places so I'm used to budget hostels. This was supposed to be a nice break from basic.
Upon arrival the receptionist wanted money up front. I declined as I think this is just bad manners. The first thing I did was get on wifi to take care of some urgent business. Wifi not working. Young lady in charge tried to help but couldn't. She tried to convince me wifi was working until I insisted she show me her pc connecting. Of course it couldn't. No further resolution was attempted until a few hours later I noticed the wireless modem. I rebooted it myself and wa back in business.
To celebrate I went back down to reception and asked to buy a beer. i was handed a warm bottle. i pointed out that it was warm and she agreed. I asked why. She pointed out that the beer cooler was not plugged in! again, why? she went over to the cooler and plugged it in. By late evening I was able to have that cold-ish beer.
I sauntered out to the attractive pool. Stone cold. That's OK in hot weather but travelers to the coast of Ecuador in December will know that it is usually cool and overcast. Well, this is called a spa so I then went over to the jacuzzi. Empty. Not even an attempt.
By now I was tired, thirsty, and looking for any kind of "spa" treatment. Aha! i'll go back to my room and have a hot shower. Ah yes, no hot water. Another interesting feature of this shower is that inside the small stall, the shower head points directly at the door, so if you lean in and turn on the shower, the spray hits you directly. not only that but it drenches the bathroom. OK, I'll shut the door while the water "heats up". But no, foiled again because the door won't stay closed. This explained the lock on the OUTSIDE of the shower stall but didn't explain why the lock was not aligned and thefore non-operational. I went down, slightly moist to reception and pointed out that the water was cold. Again, an attempt to convince me that it indeed was hot! As if repeating a clear fallacy often enough will somehow endow it with the truth. I gave up and retreated to my room.
I'd like to point out that both the young ladies that ran the show while I was there were trying to their best but probably weren't well trained and were out of their comfort zone. I also soon realized that on each shift one person appeared to run everything. The young woman preparing my breakfast had to run through from the kitchen to reception to pick up calls. I didn't see any other staff at any time. For that matter I didn't see any other guests either. This might explain why the place was barely ticking over but it's not like the price goes down to compensate for the features and services that have been withdrawn.
Finally, a word about the claim that the hostel is "100 meters" from the malecon, or ocean. This is just a plain falsehood. If you walk the 150 meters down the street you will come to a dead end which overlooks the ocean from a clifftop. There is no beach access. That requires a 25 minute walk down and across busy streets. Just tell the truth.
When I reserved my room, a balcony was mentioned. You guessed it, no balcony.
The hotel itself looks inviting. teh pool and courtyard are very attractive as is the lobby area. Unfortunately this is only skin deep as the rooms are very hastily modeled. The red paint on one wall had actually been applied over the electrical fittings. Not the outlet cover mind you but the PLUGS. The bathroom fixtures are very low end, thrown together. Either the project ran out of cash, finished in a rush, or the contrator was not supervised. Maybe all three.
A footnote. As I checked out the next morning, I cast a glance at the beer "cooler". Yep, it was unplugged again.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G7Pfizz

Travelers are raving about these Manta hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had a good stay at this hotel. They accomdated us in a great room with ocean view. They even charged us less than what we agreed on over email.

The bed was really confortable and the room was clean.

The breakfast was really good, fresh and satisfying.

Because we took a tour the last day, we arrived back to the hotel after check out time. They didn't have a problem with that and let use the bathroom and checked out at our leisure.

The location is an residential area where you can enjoy some good restaurants. There's a corner mom & pop's place up the block on the main street where they sell "pan de yuca and yougurt". They're very yummy!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was my third or fourth stay at Antares over the past couple years. The staff is always friendly and the rooms are always clean and comfortable. The price has gone up a little over the years, but for $40 a night single occupancy and $65 a night double occupancy, you can't beat it. The location is in a quiet, safe (as safe as Manta can be) area of town, close to several restaurants and bars. It's not too far from SuperMaxi and KFC as well. There are rooms with beach views available for $5 more per night. I was in room 14 on this stay. The TV didn't work for some reason, but it was late when I arrived, so no biggie. It's not the Sheraton or the Hilton, but it's not a Hostal either. Expect a good night's rest, but no chocolate on the pillow. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

The hotel is an excellent spot, very clean and the service was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the reception and all the staff was very attentive and caring.

I was a bit nervous about travelling in Equador but the lady in the reception, Guillermina, was a great help and indicated the best places to see and even some desert beaches to go. We loved our stay and I hope we will be able to come back one day!

Thank you for making us feel so welcomed!

• Stayed September 2011
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I was there with my family few weeks back. i would recommend this place to travelers who have safety, relaxation and generous hospitality on their priority list. It certainly is good value for money.
Our room had a very nice sea view, it was good to wake up to a calming view. it is located in a very safe neighborhood, we went around walking during the evening just to enjoy the local culture.
My husband and daughter really loved the pool and Jacuzzi. They had it all, private parking, wifi, sea view. All that is needed

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had a pleasant, clean room with a view of the ocean. My room had a private bathroom, air conditioning and cable tv: breakfast was included. Though the hotel has a small pool and jacuzzi....I liked the nearby beach. The neighbourhood is quiet and near bars, restaurants and food stores. Wifi is available. The friendly staff were quite helpful and made my stay in Manta really enjoyable.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo