Firstly, this review is very late, apologies! Hopefully people will find it helpful though.
We stayed at the Solymar as part of our honeymoon last June, taking a Galapagos within your reach package. This meant we were met at the airport, had tours of the island and several other day tours to other islands all included. We chose this option as a cruise just didn't appeal to us, and we were so glad we did, as we had the time of our lives.
This is a review of the hotel though so I'll try not to wax lyrical about the islands themselves, but I will say that the hotel staff were so helpful n ensuring we got onto trips visiting all the islands we wanted to, and we were lucky enough to swim with turtles and penguins, as well as see all of the other amazing wildlife!
But, back to the hotel - with hindsight, I think we may have booked another day here just to be able to enjoy the hotel and Puerto Ayora. When you're in the Galapagos, you don't think much about wandering around town, but just watching the sealions around the hotel, and the amazing bird life, was a treat in itself and I could have definitely spent more time doing that!
The seafront location of the hotel is unrivalled, and views and wildlife action visible from our balcony were amazing. Having sealions hang out in the bar and by the pool was just brilliant, and we have some utterly fabulous memories.
The bar and pool area are great to relax in, and the birds in the pool just added to the appeal for me. The staff do a great job of cleaning up after the animals and making sure it all stays spotless.
The rooms are beautiful, bright and colourful. We spent a lot of time sitting on the balcony and just watching the action unfold. They are clean and comfortable, and there are water coolers outside in the hallway to refill bottles.
The location is great, close to restaurants and bars and the town centre, so there's always a new place to try for dinner. Our trip was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad we chose Solymar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thank you for your interest in Hotel Solymar and our New Extension Isla Sol, located 10 steps from the entrance of Hotel Solymar. We are centrally located in Puerto Ayora’s mainstreet, with ocean access, and a beautiful patio for your guests to enjoy the nature that is Galapagos. Galapagos' only Galapagueño owned and operated first class hotel. Our father, a Galapagos tourism pioneer and legend, Jimmy Perez, opened the hotel in 1960 with eight rooms. It was later completely renovated in 2007 to bring the capacity to 17 rooms with ocean front views.In Hotel Solymar we have 17 rooms equipped with LED flat screen TVs, minibars, air conditioning, hot water, private balconies which allow our guests to appreciate a spectacular ocean view. Guests may enjoy a our jacuzzi, pool, and bar in our open air patio area or enjoy a more formal setting in our dining room, all while experiencing the service of our ultra attentive staff.August of this year, we inaugurated Isla Sol by Hotel Solymar; a new building with 14 modern rooms (6 exterior view – 8 interior view). Isla Sol with meeting space for up to 120 people, ideal for hosting any type of event in Galapagos.As former guides, we know our Islands intimately and can assist our guests with their travel plans, whether your desires be to kayak with sea lions or hike through the highlands to encounter the famous giant tortoises.Our staff speaks English, Spanish and Hebrew. We hail from Galapagos, Columbia, mainland Ecuador, Israel and United States. With our diverse international staff we are proud to provide a level of hospitality and guest service that keeps guests returning year after year.We look forward to welcoming you soon at Hotel Solymar - Galapagos! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Solymar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solymar Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Solymar Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz