We were a group of 4 family members (2 visiting from the UK, 2 of us living in Quito, Ecuador) doing Darwin's Triangle through (--) for 4 nights/5 days. We stayed at Red Mangrove properties on 3 islands - Santa Cruz, Floreana, Isabela - and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. We travelled between islands on speed boats, staying ashore each night in the chain's lodges.
On arrival in Puerto Ayura, we were greeted by our friendly hotel guide Catrin who would accompany us and attend to our every need throughout our stay on all three islands. Indeed, the service was impecable - from check-in and restaurant staff, to boat staff and our excellent naturalist guide, Duncan. Both he and Catrin went well above the call of duty to make sure that we were always well briefed, happy, and generally well looked after throughout our stay. Their pleasant attitude and passion for their work was evident and certainly helped to make for a memorable stay on the beautiful Galapagos islands.
As well as nights on Santa Cruz at the beginning and end of our stay, the magical, almost eerie island of Floreana was certainly a highlight. Despite the modest accomodation on this island, this place is truly magical and we felt fortunate to be the only 8 tourists on the island for the night. Just us, another 100 or so inhabitants, and the stars. The human history of the island (as well as detailed descriptions of flora and fauna) was well explained the next day and we were given chance, over dinner, to talk and get a feel of local island life that we would never have been able to experience on a cruise ship.
Indeed, we felt that we had a good 'taste' of the islands, with our third island Isabela being a personal highlight. Getting the chance to snorkel with sharks and giant turtles on two occasions truly made for a trip of a lifetime. The accomodation was comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate in returning to Isabela for a longer stay - perhaps taking more time to enjoy the relaxed beach and nightlife scene.
Many thanks to the staff of Red Mangrove for making our stay - and my birthday on Isabela - such a special one. Highly recommended and proof that the land-based Galapagos tour can be a great success.
With kind regards, Richard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Red Mangrove is an oceanfront hotel with the best views of Academy Bay, located in Puerto Ayora. The hotel is the perfect place for Galapagos visitors to stay considering many activities like snorkeling, hiking, beaches, swimming, kayaking, and visiting the Charles Darwin Center are just minutes away. Why else is the Red Mangrove a good decision? For those who are prone to seasickness the hotel gives you a stay where you feel just like you're on the water with the option to choose different packages with the activities mentioned. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Red Mangrove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Mangrove Aventura Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Red Mangrove Aventura
- Red Mangrove Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz