“fantastic experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ojai
“fantastic experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Red Mangrove exceeded all our expectations. A truly beautiful hotel right on the water. The rooms were first rate. The food was excellent. They took care of everything. And best of all was the extremely friendly and helpful people working at the hotel. They were a fine example of the friendliness of the local population!!! Our guide was exceptional ..... this was the best adventure vacation my wife and I have ever been on .....and I would highly recommend this hotel to all our friends and anyone else who is interested.
Howard and Rhonda

T

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Your comments inspire us to keep working not only for the good of the company but to offer the best of our services to our passengers.

Red Mangrove Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Red Mangrove lodge in Puerto Ayora is in a lovely situation right on the beach with good sized and well-kept rooms. However the service in the restaurant is poor and the food itself is really not good (though compared to the Red Mangrove on Isabela its amazing!). I went there as part of a tour and on my first night dinner consisted of four chicken wings - of which only two were edible - and fries. Needless to say I left pretty sharpish and ate out in the town. Red Mangrove is expensive by Galapagos standards and the food should reflect that.

Room Tip: The suites on the top floor are very nice. Ask for Suite Menor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SJG444
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your posts. We feel really happy to hear you enjoyed Puerto Ayora, part of your adventure as well as the food on Isabela. We will take special consideration on your feedback regarding the food in our restaurant in Santa Cruz. Sometimes we need to please specific requirements which happen to let some people down. But be sure we will do the best to find a balance and improve the offer in order to fulfill our client’s expectations.
Once again thank you for your feedback, this is the key to continue improving our service.

Warm Regards
The Management Team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here as part of our package with the excellent Row Adventures and we were not disappointed. The lodge is right on the sea with the bar seats being occupied by Sea Lions and Iguanas and the odd human being too. The rooms were spacious, clean and in the style of the Galapagos. Luxurious? Not quite but certainly at the top end of four star.

But if you're touring the Galapagos, you're not going to be spending much time in your room. Instead, the fabulous activities which were all organised by the desk, managers and tour guides gave us a quite wonderful experience. The organisation is seamless from when you're met at the airport and have your bags taken to when you're returned to Baltra, you really don't need to lift a finger.

Our package was full board and included free soft drinks - invaluable when you take into account how many bottles of water we went through on our hikes and kayak trips.

A great place to stay and a wonderful base from which to explore one of the most enchanting places in the world.

Room Tip: We were in Manglar Rojo and Naranja - both were lovely.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JamesMasters
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We enjoyed our visit to the Galapagos Island very much. We spent 3 nights at the Red Mangrove Aventura Lodge in Puerto Ayora, Ecuador and one night on Isabela Island at the Red Mangrove Lodge as part of the 5 night Darwin's Footsteps package. We saw giant tortoises, craters and a lava tunnel our first day in the Galapagos. We snorkeled the next day after kayaking along the coast of Santa Cruz Island. There are manta rays and white tipped sharks in the channel between Baltra and Santa Cruz Islands, as well as beautiful fish. The guide was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about his native Galapagos Islands. The sea lions and marine iguanas are everywhere and quite entertaining. There are lots of great birds, as well, of course, but one of our favorite experiences was snorkeling with a huge sea turtle that fed on the ocean bottom and completely ignored our gawking at it. Our guide and a staff member from the lodge pointed out this and other wildlife in the water we would have missed without their experienced eyes.
The staff is extremely attentive and asked after me when I got sick with a 24 hr bug that didn't agree with me, probably acquired in Quito. I saw a doctor for free and a staff member kindly went to pick up the prescriptions for us. During our first lunch there, they surprised a family with a birthday cake. We enjoyed having meals on the ocean front deck on a little bay while watching all the wildlife.
We also enjoyed touring the Darwin Research Center and learning about the conservation efforts going on there. The airline AeroGal is a great airline. There was much more leg room, great service and better food, served immediately after reaching altitude. I'd choose this airline over Delta any day. This trip is highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed at the divers lodge, about 3 blocks away from the Aventura Lodge, but meals and departures...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kirkbi
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been trying to book a room at this hotel for over a month. Until now I haven't been successful due to a poor efficiency of the sales team. I wrote a numerous times to salesteam@redgalapagos.com. After my first e-mail nobody came back to me. I wrote again - received info about a hotel I was not interested in. I called the hotel - a receptionist told me that I can't book a room directly and have to go via the sales team. I wrote again - same person came back to me again with info about a hotel I was not interested in. In meantime the flight tickets price increased by 30% (and this have to be multiplied by four as I intend to travel with my family) and I still haven't received an answer about the availability and price for the end of September. I find it absolutely unacceptable and disrespectful and am wondering how with such an inefficiency of the sales team this hotel managed to receive all those Excellence and other awards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Yuri G
Sucorodas, General Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear customer

Regarding you comment, please let me inform you that the first request we received from you was on July 28, and we sent you our answer on July 30.
Then we received another request from you on August 10, (Saturday) telling us that you had not received an answer from us, and specifying your desires to stay in our Aventura Lodge, of course we sent you a response on August 12 (Monday), informing you that since we have policies of a minimum of night to book in the Aventura, we could offer you our Divers Lodge. We are able to assure all our clients that Red Galapagos commitment is to answer each and any request we receive in a timely manner
Puerto Ayora, Ecuador
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked a land and diving package with Red Mangrove for my first week in Galapagos. Most of the service was ok, remembering you are on a remote island. I was given an upgraded room on Santa Cruz....beautiful! But then I was transferred to their hotel in Isabella for 3 nights. During a volcano tour, the guide received a phone call from the hotel saying they were moving all my things to another room for my last night! I was not happy because I had computers, photography and personal items spread around the room. I was given no warning about the change, and no real reason either! Nothing was lost or left behind, but I felt it was an invasion.
The next day I decided to delay my departure from Isabella until the afternoon, so I could do another tour and the staff there were very helpful in changing a few things, though I did have to pay for my own trip back to Santa Cruz.
I also had an issue with the diving. My first dive was fine(though I did see candy wrappers coming from the captains upper deck of the boat into the ocean as we were moving), and I was looking forward to diving the next day, but i had started to have ear/sinus issues(quite dangerous for diving). The dive guide didn't show up for a briefing as per schedule that night, so I couldn't let him know. One of the reception staff said he was at home sleeping.
The next morning I let the staff at reception know I definitely couldn't dive, but I would like to reschedule it for another day. They seemed amenable to this suggestion at the time, but all my attempts since then, even with head office and friendly Jose(the guy I booked with) have fallen on deaf ears. $175 down the drain. Not happy. I know the boat still went out that day with other divers and I would have been happy to go with others on a later day too.
The Red Mangrove targets well paying, high end travellers, but the organisational service was poor and disjointed. There are better options here in Galapagos. DEFINITELY organise your diving through somebody else.
Having said that, the restaurant here on Santa Cruz does great cocktails and food, the view is tremendous and the staff try to be helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank biggles69
Sucorodas, Manager at Red Mangrove, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We are really sorry. Despite all the efforts we made to accommodate your itinerary considering we did not have more people on for your trip. They seem to be meaningless to your expectations. As you may remember we offered you upgrades in Santa Cruz as well as on Isabela, but one day that we did not have availability which happens to be the day your things were moved with previous advice.
Regarding the diving option, as you may understand we are conditioned to National Park and Navy regulations, Furthermore we are really close to safety standard and we understand very clear the importance of keeping small groups especially on diving trips. Unfortunately by the time you were in Galapagos, we had some departures confirmed with the maximum capacity; therefore it would have been irresponsible on our side to send you with these groups and you may remember we offered you a private instructor. Regarding the candy wraps that you mentioned you found, we have already talked to our boat staff and revised the environmental standards we manage, and of course your report does not reflect the efforts Red Mangrove is doing on behalf the preservation of the environment. About the information our staff provided we have already taken actions in order to avoid misunderstandings and confusion to our guests. We have started a series of evaluations and specific training schedules in order to guarantee our guests receive proper information to any inquiry.

Warm Regards
The Management Team
Cali, Colombia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Overall I would recommend Red Mangrove for a trip to Galapagos. My family and I participated in the Darwin's Long 6 Day Tour (Santa Cruz, Floreana, and Isabela). As other guests have mentioned, there is some down time and guides will not always be on time. This is normal in most Latin American countries, and as the same guides are used on both boats and land tours, it is likely the same with boat tours. Red Mangrove cannot necessarily control this. One thing that I particularly appreciated about our Red Mangrove trip was the size of our group. Our group was limited to 9 people for the duration of our trip. We rarely ran into other tour groups. When we were hiking on Isabela Island we did run into some people from a boat, and they had one guide for approximately 20 people. Several of my friends have gone on boat tours, and they all had around 16 people per guide. 9 people per guide felt about right. The rooms were what I was expecting based on the pictures. The buffet food was okay. It was cold at times and although they knew I was vegetarian, at some meals they had a large number of options for me and sometimes there was hardly anything that was vegetarian friendly. If you don't want to be constrained to a small boat in the evening, this is a good alternative for you. For the most part, we saw the same things that my friends saw on boat trips only we had larger accommodation and more comfort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 20 in Puerto Ayora
Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos
Royal Palm Hotel Galapagos
#12 of 24 in Santa Cruz

Been to Red Mangrove? Share your experiences!