“Best experience Ive ever had”

Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My review is a little late. I stayed here Dec 10-19 of 2011. Turned out this was the PERFECT time to visit because it was soon after Thanksgiving, yet a little before the Christmas and New Years rush. The Hotel was maybe 50% full. Half the time the daily cruises had 3 guests on board. There were more workers than tourists!

The meals were excellent, like works of art.
The rooms and grounds are pristine. Clean, modern and quiet. They have their own water filtration system so there is no need to worry about the water quality.

Their naturalist and guides are excellent. Extremely knowledgeable and friendly. The tours are amazing. The Snorkeling is amazing.

What isn't amazing about this place? Nothing!

The only bad thing I can think of is by the end of my trip i was absolutely craving beef! I had to make a special trip into town to grab a hamburger at a bar. Which, by the way, was more like chopped steak formed into a patty. YUM!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mitchsn

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at Finch Bay in early Nov 2012. A very quiet, clean and friendly hotel. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Visits to surrounding islands are easily arranged. The kitchen staff always delivers something special each evening.

To top it off, my husband left his cell phone at the hotel, we discovered this just before we were going to fly home. The hotel manager, Carlos, sent the phone with a staff member and brought it to our hotel in Quito before we left. Can you imagine this level of service!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We loved every moment of our five day stay. The daily trips with a small yacht brought us to different islands where wild life is plantiful .
My husband went snorkeling every day under the supervision of experienced guides.
We both loved being guided by Mario, he was our preferred guide during our trip.
Breakfast was early but everyone was on time. Lunch was always prepared and served on the yacht. The dinner was at the hotel, food was great . We found great company and made friends with other tourists.We will return for a second trip.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent two nights here following a cruise around the islands, and was sorry I didn't arrange for three! We had an ocean view room, which was spacious and comfortable with excellent bathroom facilities. Breakfasts were great, and dinner was also excellent, though we found it a little odd that the only starters on offer for dinner were soups. The pool and facilities around it were smashing, including the very attentive staff. Two reservations: the walk from the water taxi when you arrive with luggage is tedious and unnecessary, especially as the hotel has facilities to take Suitcases from you. Secondly, the walls between the bedrooms are VERY thin, with inevitable aural consequences!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed at Finch Bay for two nights after spending 8 days cruising the islands (see my review on the Anahi yacht). Off the beaten path, you take a water taxi for a few minutes to a shared pier, and then walk about 10 minutes down a path. Then, there it is! a lovely hotel. I spent a lot of time searching for hotels, and glad I decided on Finch Bay. I chose this place because they have a beach and a pool, most hotels here do not. My friend was there for a day on her own while myself and two others went diving. The manager, Xavier (aka Tito, from Quito) spent time with her and she had a nice day just relaxing by the pool. The breakfast was very nice, good selection of items and fresh juices. Free wifi in the lobby area, although the signal isn't the greatest. When I got to the hotel after diving, I arrived to find two bottles of wine and a card from my boyfriend, who arranged it via email with Xavier. What a nice surprise and Xavier was great at arranging that. Spent a fun night just playing cards in the lobby on their comfy chairs and drinking our wine. The rooms are good sized and clean. Hammocks for each room is a nice touch. I wish I could have stayed another day. Thanks Finch Bay!

Room Tip: We just had a garden view room which was just fine. From what I could see I bet the rooms with the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is good....not great. I arrived on Dec 29th and found that my reservation was missing. They blamed Expedia and told me that there wasn't a room available on the 31st (New Years Eve!). I was offered a room that the workers use for $180 per night, which was 100% unacceptable for anyone traveling from the U.S. that expects suitable conditions. Therefore, I had to spend hours of precious time figuring out logistics and stressing out after 1.5 days of travel.

The real situation -
1. The hotel is a serious walk from where the water taxi drops you off. Yes, you have to take a water taxi every time you want to go into town. Granted, it is only .60-1. per person each way depending on the time of day.
2. While they do have the only hotel with a beach on the island, the beach is not private and is packed with locals. Hope you like the pool because that's where you will be!
3. The garden view room is small and it is hardly a garden that you want to look at. It should be called the shrub view room.
4. The service is great as long as you don't have a problem. If you have a problem, forget receiving any customer service.
5. The pool is nice.
6. The breakfast is really good. My advice to the owner is to put up a net,so people don't have to compete with the birds for their food. That was a little gross.

Overall - My problem with Finch Bay comes down to value. I had to stay at three different hotels due to my reservation issue and now have a very different perspective of the hotel. I think the Angermeyer is by far a much better value. The hotel was $100 cheaper per night and the people were beyond phenomenal in helping me. Also, they are at the water taxi stop, so I didn't have to walk 5-10 minutes every time I wanted to leave the hotel. In closing, Finch Bay had an opportunity to take responsibility for my reservation missing and at least try to contact Expedia. Instead, they just transferred blame and basically told said I was out of luck. After 3 flights, 2 buses and 2 water taxis, as well as countless hours of traveling time, the last thing you want to hear is that you don't have a reservation.

Room Tip: Don't get the garden view room. I had room number 1 and it was uninspiring.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelxvalmont
finchbayhotel, Gerente at Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear michaelxvalmont,

Thank you very much for your review, we appreciate all your comments but i want to clarify some things:

We did not blame anybody, on the contrary, we did the best we could to help you out with your booking in a very high season (new year´s eve), we apologized with you and your wife, we were honest and we told you the truth about the options we had for you, your booking was only for 2 nights 29th and 30th, not for the 31st.

As you know you got a room at the Hotel the first night, for the second night we offered you a room in my house and the rate was $100 us with taxes and breakfast included, besides your dinner and bottle of wine was on the house the first night, our only intention was to apologize and make you feel welcome, we understood the situation and the bad time you had when you arrived.

Finally, i am glad you found what you were looking for at the Angermeyer Hotel, it is a beautiful place and its staff is amazing, we know them all.

Best regards,

Xavier

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Xavier Burbano de Lara T., the general manager, and his staff provided excellent service in delivering a gift from the hotel's bar to my girlfriend and her party during a recent stay. He was extremely responsive via email and very attentive to the details of my request. I even decided to modify my request after placing the initial order and he handled it without pause. Extremely professional, courteous and a true pleasure to interact with.

I've yet to visit Finch Bay, but based on my very positive exchanges with Xavier, I have no doubt they treat all their guests equally well and provide a great experience for them. Thank you, Xavier. I truly appreciated your help. And to Xavier's boss - give him a raise - he deserves it!

Stayed: January 2013
finchbayhotel, Gerente at Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Rebel4141,

Thank you very much for your review, you are very kind. It was a pleasure to serve you and i look forward to meet you someday, maybe for your honeymoon? you must see the beauty of the Galapagos!

Best regards,