This hotel is good....not great. I arrived on Dec 29th and found that my reservation was missing. They blamed Expedia and told me that there wasn't a room available on the 31st (New Years Eve!). I was offered a room that the workers use for $180 per night, which was 100% unacceptable for anyone traveling from the U.S. that expects suitable conditions. Therefore, I had to spend hours of precious time figuring out logistics and stressing out after 1.5 days of travel.
The real situation -
1. The hotel is a serious walk from where the water taxi drops you off. Yes, you have to take a water taxi every time you want to go into town. Granted, it is only .60-1. per person each way depending on the time of day.
2. While they do have the only hotel with a beach on the island, the beach is not private and is packed with locals. Hope you like the pool because that's where you will be!
3. The garden view room is small and it is hardly a garden that you want to look at. It should be called the shrub view room.
4. The service is great as long as you don't have a problem. If you have a problem, forget receiving any customer service.
5. The pool is nice.
6. The breakfast is really good. My advice to the owner is to put up a net,so people don't have to compete with the birds for their food. That was a little gross.
Overall - My problem with Finch Bay comes down to value. I had to stay at three different hotels due to my reservation issue and now have a very different perspective of the hotel. I think the Angermeyer is by far a much better value. The hotel was $100 cheaper per night and the people were beyond phenomenal in helping me. Also, they are at the water taxi stop, so I didn't have to walk 5-10 minutes every time I wanted to leave the hotel. In closing, Finch Bay had an opportunity to take responsibility for my reservation missing and at least try to contact Expedia. Instead, they just transferred blame and basically told said I was out of luck. After 3 flights, 2 buses and 2 water taxis, as well as countless hours of traveling time, the last thing you want to hear is that you don't have a reservation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award-winning hotel enjoys a peaceful and magical beachfront location in Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz Island. The 21 Garden View-room and 6 Ocean View suite hotel makes the ideal base for exploring the natural diversity and attractions of the island – including Tortuga Bay beach – and for taking day-trips to nearby islands, aboard its own, specialized yachts. The hotel also implements best practices in sustainable tourism. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Finch Bay Eco
- Finch Bay Eco Puerto Ayora
- Finch Bay Galapagos Hotel Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz