“Honeymoon Rescued by Silberstein”
Review of Hotel Silberstein

Hotel Silberstein
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
Reviewed October 15, 2010

while we enjoy camping and "roughing it" we were not prepared for some of the downright dirty hotel experiences we encountered. Fortunately we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at Silberstein and ended up rearranging our accomodations to stay here. Enticed by the everchanging colorful tablecloths (we'd walked by Silberstein to go diving), we enjoyed excellent food (what a menu - no reason to eat anywhere else! - - great wine, steak and the best potato soup, to name a few) and enjoyed the company of our hosts Jan and Kat. THANK GOODNESS we found Silberstein - we have some good memories for our honeymoon because of them! Rooms are clean and comfortable, with a beautiful garden/pool area to just go sit. Thank you for your courtesy and finding room for us! We cannot tell you how much we couldn't wait to get back to Silberstein after visiting one of the other islands by boat! A little gem in the Galapagos complete with a friendly Scuba staff!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skocean
JSilber, Manager at Hotel Silberstein, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2011

Dear skocean!

Thank you very muh for your positive rating and the fun time we had together! It was great meeting you guys and we enjoyed the afternoon in Monterey. You have to come back soon!

Potato soup and steak is still one of the best combinations, but Ceviche....... We are waiting for you!

Best regards from the Island,

Reviewed October 5, 2010

I've been to Puerto Ayora twice in the past year and I love this hotel and the staff are great. Its right next to the Charles Darwin research station, the dive shop is very professional, good rental gear, the wetsuits were brand new! My favorite is the restaurant, great food and in my opinion the best restaurant in town!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mountainclimber75

Dear Mountainclimber,

thank you very much for your nice review!

I will forward your comment to the kitchen as well as all the staff. Please let me know when you come back to hold your place! We gotta DIVE!!

I hope to make it to NY some day...

Btw, we would be very happy, if you comment on our Divebase-page on Tripadvisor, too.

Best regards from the Islands,

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Between marine iguanas, tortoises and finches, not 10 minutes from the Charles Darwin Station, is the small but nice Hotel Silberstein.
Despite travel stress the employees were able to get me into the holiday mood - which was with the problems that arose with LAN Airlines not that easy (six days of no luggage and more)
On both large and small wishes were acted as promptly as possible to help out, with no limits to creativity where given.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Aklaya

Dear Aklaya,

thank you for your nice review!

We are very happy to see that, though you had the mittelschweres Luggage-problem you had a nice time with us and congratulations again to your open water Divers license!

Hope you come back soon to dive together and enjoy the great time!

Let me know if Sheepy is running around happily!

Best regards from the Islands,

Reviewed June 10, 2010

I recently had a great and memorable experience while staying at the Galextur Hotel Silberstein in Puerto Ayora. We spent 6 nights and 7 days there, and from start to finish, this vacation is one I am definitely repeating next year, or even sooner. The hotel staff was friendly, greeted us nicely and warmly upon arrival, and our room was clean, spacious, and cozy.

The touring was also great, experiencing the land one day, and then we did some scuba on the next. Everything was just simply breathtaking. Each day started off with a wonderful breakfast which was served in the hotel restaurant, where we enjoyed many types of food! Props to the chef for the great dishes that were prepared.

The flowers on ground were amazing, and the loudness of the birds was what woke us each day. Dipping in the pool was a treat, and we event spent time relaxing outside with a book from the library. We were celebrating our annivesary and had a great bottle of wine from their cellar to pair with our dinner.. overall, it was such a great trip!

I definitely highly recommend this property to others who are looking for a great place to stay, awesome location on the island, and excellent staff that makes you feel at home.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jh75travel

Dear jh75travel,

thank you very much for your very nice and extensive review!

We are very happy we could please you with all expectations and that you liked our food as well as the garden so much! Our aim is to create happiness and relaxation, as well as an unforgettable experience in (what comes closest to) paradise.

Looking forward to your report on our Diving site on tripadvisor, too.

Hope you join us again some day soon and we go bubble making competition with the playful sealions!

Best regards from the Island,

Reviewed June 8, 2010

A family run establishment, with recently the young, hard working and amicable Jan Silberstein taking over the hospitality and gastronomy this hotel is known for from his parents; this in addition to the dive center linked to the hotel - make for a great and convenient stay on the most beautiful place in the world - the Galapagos Islands.

I stayed on the Galapagos Islands for almost 3 weeks as part of my 6 month sabbatical I earned after 7 years of hard working in the oil industry. I decided that at least a couple of days I would splurge in one of the best places the Galapagos in my view have to offer.

This hotel is nicely located in a quieter part of Puerto Ayora, however within 5 minutes distance you will be in the area more filled with restaurants - however for good food and great wine you don't need to go anywhere else, as the hotel has a good chef (although the chef may change about once a year or every two years I am told); there is plenty of attention for getting the best staff available on the island. I noticed the difference - there are about 5 good restaurants on the island in terms of food and service and this is definitely one of them.

The Dive Center located just opposite of the Silberstein hotel is pretty OK for a Galapagos Dive Center. It offers reasonable deals for the great dive spots. With (new) "dive centers" opening and everyone trying to get a bite of the pie, it is getting more difficult for divers to figure out who's good and who's not. I have been on 4 diving trips with 3 dive centers because the programme they ran. On the galapagos unfortunately not all the centers are perfect - the Silberstein Dive Center however manages to continuously show a good safety record and usually attract nice staff (so I' m told when I was shopping around in the 3 weeks on the Galapagos). I did have some issues with an other Dive Center where I also sent a complaint to PADI... Which I never heard of by the way.

I liked the staff here a lot - especially the German ownership was a nice relief after having spoken a lot of spanish for a couple of weeks.

In short - if you look for a good and affordable stay in a superb environment where the staff does everything possible to make your stay excellent, try Silberstein!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank dsa_versteeg
Reviewed November 17, 2009

There is only one thing which I can credit this hotel with: it is one of very few places in Puerto Ayora that can be easily booked on-line. Otherwise this is a nightmare.

To start with, they lost my reservation. When I showed them a receipt, they refused to honor the price on it and charged me extra $50 per night. There was no hot water. Every time I complained, they would send a maintenance man over, he would do something and the hot water would start flowing for about 45 seconds to a minute. Another very peculiar aspect of that hotel was their understanding of do-not-disturb sign. If the sign is there, they honor it. If not, they seem to believe they have a license to enter without knocking the door first. Needless to say how annoying it was.

Also, their claim of a great location is technically correct, but somewhat deceptive. Puerto Ayora is so tiny, that any location would be great.

The bottom-line is: if you can, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank NamtugE
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Hotel Silberstein is a lovely slice of luxury set in the most incredible Island setting you could imagine. Spacious rooms, wonderfully attentive staff (who I heard speak at least 5 languages), and as much delicious food as any sensible human being could wish for. And for a back-drop the incredible islands of the Galapagos which are like an enormous zoo - minus the fences.
Chris and Tammy Lowe, UK