“Hotel Silberstein - Excellent choice in the Galapagos!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Silberstein

Hotel Silberstein
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Puerto Ayora
San Francisco, California, USA
“Hotel Silberstein - Excellent choice in the Galapagos!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I recently had a great and memorable experience while staying at the Galextur Hotel Silberstein in Puerto Ayora. We spent 6 nights and 7 days there, and from start to finish, this vacation is one I am definitely repeating next year, or even sooner. The hotel staff was friendly, greeted us nicely and warmly upon arrival, and our room was clean, spacious, and cozy.

The touring was also great, experiencing the land one day, and then we did some scuba on the next. Everything was just simply breathtaking. Each day started off with a wonderful breakfast which was served in the hotel restaurant, where we enjoyed many types of food! Props to the chef for the great dishes that were prepared.

The flowers on ground were amazing, and the loudness of the birds was what woke us each day. Dipping in the pool was a treat, and we event spent time relaxing outside with a book from the library. We were celebrating our annivesary and had a great bottle of wine from their cellar to pair with our dinner.. overall, it was such a great trip!

I definitely highly recommend this property to others who are looking for a great place to stay, awesome location on the island, and excellent staff that makes you feel at home.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank jh75travel
JSilber, Manager at Hotel Silberstein, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Dear jh75travel,

thank you very much for your very nice and extensive review!

We are very happy we could please you with all expectations and that you liked our food as well as the garden so much! Our aim is to create happiness and relaxation, as well as an unforgettable experience in (what comes closest to) paradise.

Looking forward to your report on our Diving site on tripadvisor, too.

Hope you join us again some day soon and we go bubble making competition with the playful sealions!

Best regards from the Island,

Jan Silberstein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nieuw Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

A family run establishment, with recently the young, hard working and amicable Jan Silberstein taking over the hospitality and gastronomy this hotel is known for from his parents; this in addition to the dive center linked to the hotel - make for a great and convenient stay on the most beautiful place in the world - the Galapagos Islands.

I stayed on the Galapagos Islands for almost 3 weeks as part of my 6 month sabbatical I earned after 7 years of hard working in the oil industry. I decided that at least a couple of days I would splurge in one of the best places the Galapagos in my view have to offer.

This hotel is nicely located in a quieter part of Puerto Ayora, however within 5 minutes distance you will be in the area more filled with restaurants - however for good food and great wine you don't need to go anywhere else, as the hotel has a good chef (although the chef may change about once a year or every two years I am told); there is plenty of attention for getting the best staff available on the island. I noticed the difference - there are about 5 good restaurants on the island in terms of food and service and this is definitely one of them.

The Dive Center located just opposite of the Silberstein hotel is pretty OK for a Galapagos Dive Center. It offers reasonable deals for the great dive spots. With (new) "dive centers" opening and everyone trying to get a bite of the pie, it is getting more difficult for divers to figure out who's good and who's not. I have been on 4 diving trips with 3 dive centers because the programme they ran. On the galapagos unfortunately not all the centers are perfect - the Silberstein Dive Center however manages to continuously show a good safety record and usually attract nice staff (so I' m told when I was shopping around in the 3 weeks on the Galapagos). I did have some issues with an other Dive Center where I also sent a complaint to PADI... Which I never heard of by the way.

I liked the staff here a lot - especially the German ownership was a nice relief after having spoken a lot of spanish for a couple of weeks.

In short - if you look for a good and affordable stay in a superb environment where the staff does everything possible to make your stay excellent, try Silberstein!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank dsa_versteeg
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

There is only one thing which I can credit this hotel with: it is one of very few places in Puerto Ayora that can be easily booked on-line. Otherwise this is a nightmare.

To start with, they lost my reservation. When I showed them a receipt, they refused to honor the price on it and charged me extra $50 per night. There was no hot water. Every time I complained, they would send a maintenance man over, he would do something and the hot water would start flowing for about 45 seconds to a minute. Another very peculiar aspect of that hotel was their understanding of do-not-disturb sign. If the sign is there, they honor it. If not, they seem to believe they have a license to enter without knocking the door first. Needless to say how annoying it was.

Also, their claim of a great location is technically correct, but somewhat deceptive. Puerto Ayora is so tiny, that any location would be great.

The bottom-line is: if you can, go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank NamtugE
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Hotel Silberstein is a lovely slice of luxury set in the most incredible Island setting you could imagine. Spacious rooms, wonderfully attentive staff (who I heard speak at least 5 languages), and as much delicious food as any sensible human being could wish for. And for a back-drop the incredible islands of the Galapagos which are like an enormous zoo - minus the fences.
Chris and Tammy Lowe, UK

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chelowe
artbcpa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

While I was not expecting American style luxury, there are some things in this era that when missing, are quite surprising. One of those is hot water for the shower. My daughter and I met up with a group of British tourists who had just spent a week in the Amazon. They wondered how their small side vessel in the middle of the Amazon could manage to have plenty of hot water for their showers, but the Hotel Silberstein could not. If missing a hot shower does not deter you, the hotel is a small, cute, local establishment with good food and helpful staff. Note that some of their rooms are far superior to others. For the last day of our trip we were moved to a smaller room as they needed the larger room for another party arriving that day. Although I do not see how displacing a travel agent to a less attractive room is a wise marketing decision, it did give me an opportunity to view another room and write this review. This room had no electrical outlet in the bathroom and no mirrors outside of the bathroom - not a good decision on their part. It was much, much smaller and a room I definitely would not have accepted for any more than one night.

• Stayed June 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank artbcpa
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Silberstein for three nights while on an Overseas Adventure Travel OAT trip to the Galapagos. The hotel is an older property but is fairly well maintained. Nice pool; very slow Net. Good restaurant and bar. Excellent pool. Rooms are comfortable, clean and with a few upgrades. We had a problem with our air conditioning system and was moved immediately to the adjacent room and all was then very "cool" indeed. Excellent and very caring staff. They are very close to downtown Puerto Ayora and the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank photoguy66degrees
raleigh, nc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

The Good:
The hotel has a nice white exterior and the property was an old residence converted into a hotel. The chef in the restaurant is very good; and I highly recommend the fish in a bag, or the grilled fish. The location is very close to town, and very near the Darwin Center.

The Bad:
You are charged for personal drinking water.

The Ugly:
Our double room (#5) was dated by at least 30+ years and we had to change hotels due to the smell of open sewer. The room is so cramped, you have to open your suit case on your bed; and the bathroom is so tight, you have to use a stick to flush the toilet since it's so close to the shower. And the sink water is not safe enough to brush your teeth, so they provide a toothbrush grade water (which is not safe for drinking either). The hotel does have slightly nicer rooms, and it seems like rooms #5 and #6 are the worst of the property (we hope).

We booked our trip through INTI travel, and we were refunded after contacting them upon our return. I recommend you ask in advance which room you are getting, and come with very low expectations compared to the price paid.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — The room. And "like least" is an understatement.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank paletexan