A family run establishment, with recently the young, hard working and amicable Jan Silberstein taking over the hospitality and gastronomy this hotel is known for from his parents; this in addition to the dive center linked to the hotel - make for a great and convenient stay on the most beautiful place in the world - the Galapagos Islands.
I stayed on the Galapagos Islands for almost 3 weeks as part of my 6 month sabbatical I earned after 7 years of hard working in the oil industry. I decided that at least a couple of days I would splurge in one of the best places the Galapagos in my view have to offer.
This hotel is nicely located in a quieter part of Puerto Ayora, however within 5 minutes distance you will be in the area more filled with restaurants - however for good food and great wine you don't need to go anywhere else, as the hotel has a good chef (although the chef may change about once a year or every two years I am told); there is plenty of attention for getting the best staff available on the island. I noticed the difference - there are about 5 good restaurants on the island in terms of food and service and this is definitely one of them.
The Dive Center located just opposite of the Silberstein hotel is pretty OK for a Galapagos Dive Center. It offers reasonable deals for the great dive spots. With (new) "dive centers" opening and everyone trying to get a bite of the pie, it is getting more difficult for divers to figure out who's good and who's not. I have been on 4 diving trips with 3 dive centers because the programme they ran. On the galapagos unfortunately not all the centers are perfect - the Silberstein Dive Center however manages to continuously show a good safety record and usually attract nice staff (so I' m told when I was shopping around in the 3 weeks on the Galapagos). I did have some issues with an other Dive Center where I also sent a complaint to PADI... Which I never heard of by the way.
I liked the staff here a lot - especially the German ownership was a nice relief after having spoken a lot of spanish for a couple of weeks.
In short - if you look for a good and affordable stay in a superb environment where the staff does everything possible to make your stay excellent, try Silberstein!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In 1993 Silberstein family bought the former Residencial Angermeyer, it was known to be the No.1 destination for information about the Islands. It was rebuilt and today it is the Hotel Silberstein, a hotel with all amenities to fulfill the expectations and beyond of our guests from all over the world. Our 22 comfortable rooms are all equipped with individual air condition and have a private bathroom with shower and permanent hot water, heated environmentally friendly by the sun. Our Restaurant offers international food and local specialties prepared by our professional team. For a complete vacation we offer any kind of tours, such as Diving and Daily Tours, as well as airport transfers and in between the different islands. Contact us for more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Silberstein reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Galextur Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Silberstein Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz