This wasn't our first stay at the Silberstein; we returned because the hotel is pleasant with a beautiful garden, nice pool and a pretty good restaurant. It's conveniently located--just a short walk to the Darwin Center and the downtown waterfront. But beware booking travel through the hotel's front desk!
Our first tip-off should have come when we checked in and our rooms weren't ready. "No problem," said the desk clerk. "Just leave the luggage with us and it will be put in the rooms." But when we returned, the luggage was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, we had an Ecuadorian in our party who kept badgering them in Spanish until the luggage was located in a store room.
Then we booked a trip to North Seymour Island ($140 a pop) to see the colonies of blue-footed boobies...or so we thought. On the morning of the trip, we discovered we had been booked to another island because the hotel's travel agency doesn't work with the boat company that goes to North Seymour. We should have been told that in advance.
And strike three: we booked passage from Santa Cruz Island to San Cristóbal Island and were told we would be picked up and taken to the boat at 7am. 7am comes and goes and no pickup. Desk person calls the boat company and tells us no, the boat is at 2pm because the "national park has ordered it rescheduled." We decide to double check, go down to the boat company and are told they never go at 7am--that the boat is always at 2pm. And by the way, they don't pick up passengers at hotels, we have to get to the dock on our own.
Incompetence is one thing but lying to customers to cover your posterior is completely inexcusable. I'll tell friends the Silberstein is OK as a hotel but never, ever let the front desk make travel arrangements for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In 1991 family Silberstein bought the former Residencial Angermeyer from the long Galapagos inhabitants Angermeyer. It was known to be the No.1 Destination for information about the Islands. Today it has been rebuilt with all amenities to fulfill the expectations and beyond of our guests from all over the world. Our 24 comfortable rooms are all equipped with individual air condition and have a private bathroom with shower and permanent hot water, heated environmentally friendly by the sun. Our Restaurant offers international food and local specialties prepared by our professional team. For a complete vacation we offer any kind of tours, such as Diving with our attached Dive Center and Daily Tours, as well as airport transfers and in between the different islands. Contact us for more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Silberstein reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Galextur Hotel Puerto Ayora
- Hotel Silberstein Galapagos Islands/Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz