Open today: 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM, 2:30 PM - 5:30 PM

from $550.00
from $714.00
from $2,170.90
1,555 results
All reviews lonesome george land iguanas baby tortoises conservation efforts breeding program turtle breeding eggs gift shop breeding center worth a visit on display flora and fauna different species galapagos islands interesting place small beach an easy walk
Reviewed today

Charles Darwin R. Station is really interesting. This place has a lot of information about the big tortoise of the Galapagos Islands. I love it.

Reviewed 3 days ago

My wife and I both have biology degrees. So there really wasn't a choice. We had to visit the Charles Darwin Research Station. It was worth it. I expected the overall focus on Darwin's theories as well as the breeding work on the various tortoise populations. And I was happily surprised by the new walk through exhibit that focuses on change and adaptation. Those lessons are timely and well communicated. Great job to the Education/Communication team at the Research Station!

Reviewed 4 days ago

I was GRANDPAcking through the Galapagos and popped in here on my final day.
Take the short walk to the Darwin Research Station east of Puerto Ayora town centre.
The whole return trip from your hotel should take less than 3 hours.
You can walk around the new path.
And see different species of Giant Tortoises.
I preferred the Tortoise Centre on San Cristobal - it felt more natural.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

As a first intro to the giant tortoises on these wonderful islands this is a must-see. I wouldn't bother with a tour as you can walk around and see everything in an hour or so with clear signs explaining the process.

The aim of releasing the tortoises back into the wild is excellent and seeing the changes from small cat size up to genuine tanks in the different areas is awesome. You can also stay on one of the nearby beaches (Station is perhaps better) to watch sunset over the town and bay.

Reviewed 1 week ago

It is more about information & less about seeing the animals. The turtles are all in captivity & I don't know why? They could just leave them in their natural habitat & maybe monitor their movements & help them along with their conservation.. Why do they need to be in captivity was hard to understand. It seemed more like a fund raiser to me.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited this place with our naturalist. It was interesting but relatively boring for my kids. There is so much to do on the island. The beaches and wildlife is amazing. If you have limited time you may not want to go here. It felt more like a zoo with turtles and iguana. Why see them behind fences when you can see them up close on the beach and inland?

Reviewed 1 week ago

While staying in Puerto Ayora I went there twice, Do not go in very hot hours because giant turtles and land iguanas are lazy and do not even move. Before 10:00 and after 3:00 pm is good to visit. the Air conditioned place where stuffed Lonely George wich died in 2012 closes at 12:00 and opens at 2:30 PM. The visitor center closes at 12:00 and opens at 3:00 PM, and do not miss the Marine life interpretation center, it tells everything about sharks.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Very interesting place doing excellent research. Lots of exhibits to see and read about. Don't miss the Lonesome George exhibit.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Nice walk past shops at end of town. Great little beach, examples of flora, they keep the place pretty well and it is all free.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I expected more from the research station. We arrived a few minutes before they closed for their lunch break and only got 2 minutes inside the facility (our fault for not knowing the hours). We were able to walk around the rest of the facility but a lot of the signs were hard to read and there weren't many animals out. A lot of the station is off limits so we really only saw some turtles and a few iguanas.