“Not worth it”

$550.00*
and up
Galapagos Top Excursions Pass
More attraction details
Owner description: Headed by a team of more than two hundred scientists, educators, research volunteers and support staff, this world-wide foundation is dedicated to preserving the Galapagos ecosystems.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We weren't planning on going based on what other people had said, but we had some extra time one afternoon and made the trek over. Its a long walk to get to the turtles, and compared to the turtle breeding center we saw on Isabela we were very disappointed. it wasn't well kept, and it reminded me more of a barn/farm environment. The habitats weren't clean and the iguana pens reminded me more of cages. The visitor center wasn't open when we were there and it wasn't worth the time it took to get there. I took one picture of a turtle and left.

1  Thank mbhdIowaCity
There are newer reviews for Charles Darwin Research Station

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I admire the work they do at Charles Darwin Research Station... However, it really isn't worth a visit after the passing of Lonesome George. It was part of our cruise package excursion so we didn't have a choice, but it sure was disappointing. After a fairly long walk, we arrived at the center. It felt like a small local petting zoo (except all the animals are fenced away). It should take no longer than 15-30 minutes for a visit. Most of our tour group left immediately after the tour guide finished talking to go back to Puerto Ayora to shop rather than linger around because there really wasn't much to see.

If you are hoping to see the giant tortoise up close, then I would recommend going to the Primicia Ranch (on the same island) instead where wild tortoises roam freely and you can get a closer look (and photo-op) with these amazing animals!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

apparently we arrived there near to closing time. Therefore we walked around, saw some iguanas and turtles but talked to no one. It seems to be a little "let it go"...

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is probably my own fault, as I had very high expectations before visiting. I was looking for a more "scientific museum" experience with insight and educational tidbits. When in reality, it is more of just an open park with some pens holding tortoises and iguanas.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This wasn't anything fancy, just a walk through of the tortoise and iguana pens. It was very close to town and free though. It was sad to see the pen where Lonesome George used to live. His two girlfriends were still there, and they put up a nice RIP plaque.