“Very friendly place to stay”

Galapagos Best Hostel
Ranked #8 of 57 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Best Home Stay absolutely. The owner is very friendly and gave us a helpful tour of the town. It is a bit out of the center of town, but taxis are only $1 each way.
Only one thing: Kevin recommended a travel company called Joybe Tours and we had a very disappointing experience with them. They cancelled our 5 day boat tour on the day of departure and struggled to pay us the money back. And for the tour that we went with them in the end they didn't give us a ticket, so the boat nearly refused to take us. So we definitely wouldn't recommend Joybe Tours.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had a great time at GPS Home Stay! The pre-arrival email to help with getting to there was great. I arrived at to a wonderful big sign welcoming me and then was treated by Kevin, co-owner with his wife, to tour of the area and downtown so I could get my bearings. The rooms were clean and nice; I liked having the kitchen right in the dorm room but I felt bad making breakfast so early in the morning when others were sleeping. The porch area is nice and wifi is available in the rooms, which is wonderful. It is a 20-25 minute walk into town or alternatively, $1 taxi ride. Kevin was a great host and was very helpful. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in a four bed dorm. It was the cleanest dorm I've ever stayed in! Daily housekeeping was a plus and the kitchenette + bathroom in our room was very convenient. Kevin is a wonderful host with great information and recommendations. The walks into town were very nice and relaxing. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms facing the patio receive more foot traffic noise.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The private rooms are clean and of good value. The beds and pillows are comfortable and the air conditioning works well. However, the rooms with a shared bathroom, rooms 2 and 3, do not have private kitchenettes in the rooms. The kitchen is in the common area and is shared by both rooms and by the owners, as well as any others who may want to use it. Also, the shared bathroom is just off the common area is also used by people who have not checked into their room yet. One wall of room 2 does not reach the ceiling. Just be aware of this, if you decide to stay at this place.

Room Tip: See review
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Kevin and Anna Maria are two perfect people to own a hostel in a very busy, touristy city. They understand the importance of safety, secuirty, and cleanliness. The hostel is located about a 20 minute walk from downtown Puerto Ayora, but you can easily get a taxi or take the enjoyable stroll. Odds are, those who complain about the distance from town are just plain lazy. The hostel is about 10 minutes from the Charles Darwin Center, 15 from all the tourist shops and fresh fish market. I was incredibly pleased with the service Kevin, Anna Maria, and their staff provided during our trip. They were incredibly flexible and understanding when we decided to extend our trip and offered us wonderful advice on excursions in town and on a budget. Kevin will take you on a tour of the city when you get there and recommend a wonderful travel agency. Galapagos Best Home Stay is well worth the money!

Room Tip: It seems there isn't a bad room at the hostel. We stayed in a four person dormitory and couldn...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a private room with a shared bathroom. Great value, clean rooms and Kevin is an excellent host. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and recommend this place if you are looking for low cost accommodation on Santa Cruz island.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in a private room for a very reasonable price. I had prebooked this through hostelworld. The place is located a 15 min walk from the center of the town. The great thing is that you can walk safely around on the island 24 hours a day. Was a nice walk in the evening. The host, Kevin, is very well organized and gives you all the local information you need. The rooms were serviced every day and the house has a small but nice garden. Wifi and a desktop computer are available free of charge.

I had not prebooked any tours during my stay and I would recommend not to do so. You get significant better value for money by booking your tours on the islands and there are lot of tour operators to choose between.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
#2 of 49 in Puerto Ayora
La Fortaleza de Haro
La Fortaleza de Haro
#4 of 49 in Puerto Ayora

Been to Galapagos Best Hostel? Share your experiences!