“Galapagos BEST Home Stay”

Galapagos Best Hostel
Ranked #8 of 56 Puerto Ayora B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We originally only booked for the first night of our stay on Galapagos with the idea to book a cruise once we arrived or explore other hostels, but ended up staying for four. The hostel was very clean, had comfortable beds, wifi and hot water and all that for a competitive price. Kevin's tour of the town proved very valuable. We followed up on some of his tips and suggestions and were not disappointed. Yes, the hostel is not in the centre of town, but only a $1 taxi ride or short walk away, so that didn't bother us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3nights and found it very clean, very safe and very friendly. I stayed in 4bed dorm - the room is very spacious, with aircon, with bathroom (hot shower all the time) and fully equipped kitchenette where you can prepare your own meal and coffee/tea, also drinking water is available for guests. Free Wifi is available and there is nice patio area to sit and relax. Kevin took me and few other guest on the tour around the town to show us the best places to eat, to book a tour/ cruise and gave us a lot of useful information about what and how to do on the island(s).
The hostel is in nice quiet area, therefore you get a good quality of sleep. To get to High St. it takes around 15-20min walk through residential area, where you can have a peak how the locals live or only $1 for a taxi that are easily available anywhere in the town.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After 3 months backpacking through South America, my friend and I experienced our fair share of hostels and accommodations. I can say that the Best Home Stay in Puerto Ayora was one of the best hostels we stayed in for the duration of our adventure! Kevin and Ana were more than accommodating, we got a tour of the town and helpful advice for our entire stay (with NO pressure to stay at the hostel for the entire duration of our stay in Galapagos), a kitchenette in our room with free drinking water, a great washroom with hot water and very comfortable beds. The hostel itself is a quiet place about 10-15mins walking distance from the strip. We were still able to stay out late and party so it's still great if you're not into a fully "quiet" vacation, but everyone is respectful upon return to the hostel (and you can return at any time you wish).

The hostel has lockers (which we didn't end up using because we felt so safe), computers for internet and WiFi (VERY slow but I heard that's the case for all internet connections in the Galapagos) and very helpful staff.

Thank you Kevin and Ana for an amazing stay!!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My friend and I had not previously arranged our stay with Best Home Stay but after meeting another backpacker who had booked his arrangements ahead of time, we followed him to the hostel and the owner kindly made room for us. Kevin went above and beyond to ensure that we were comfortable - he took us on a tour of the town explaining common tourists sites and suggesting a variety of restaurants and local joints. The rooms were very clean and bed very comfortable. I loved having the kitchenette right in our room! It was definitely one of the best accommodations my friend and I had stay in during our 2.5 month backpacking trip. I thought it was also very kind of Kevin and Ana to allow their guests to use the computers in their personal space/common area.

As a traveler on a budget, I just wish the cost was a little cheaper.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite spacious.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in the Best Home Stay Hostel for one night on my first night in Puerto Ayora. I stayed in the dorm room with 2 friends. It is a 4 bed dorm but we didn't have a 4th person so we had it to ourselves. The place was very clean and on a very quiet street, though about a 15 minute walk from the main strip (Charles Darwin Boulevard) . All the cabs in town are 1$ so though you are not near any restaurants or shops, its not far and not expensive. The beds were in great condition and there were lockers available for valuables. This is great since the dorms do not necessary lock from the outside, only from the inside. Since it is a private yard, this wasn't an issue and the city itself is not known for any crime so I never felt unsafe. Since you cannot drink the tap water in the city, either hotels supply you with clean drinking water, or the more expensive hotels have filtration systems. Best Home stay did have fresh water in each room (in the form of a giant water jug dispensing system). Shower was in great condition and the water was hot.
There is free WIFI, but the connections were extremely slow at times.

All in all, for the price, it was a great stay. We ended up moving closer to the main strip for the rest of the trip since the prices were around the same and we had a bit more privacy, but all in all it was a good stay. Kevin is a great host and gave us a tour around the city our first day. We did not check out the private rooms though we had friends staying in one and they had no complaints either. There is construction going on at the property, but It didn't cause us any inconvenience and I don't even think they worked on anything while we were there.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Kevin & Ana run the best family hostel I have ever stayed in. This place is tlruely awesome. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are made to feel so welcome.

I originally planned to stay one night and I ended up staying for 10.

I have stayed in all of the private and dorm rooms and I can quite honestly say the rooms are spotlessly clean, comfortable, free drinking water provided, kitchenettes with everything you need, en suite bathrooms and towels provided. What more could you possibly need.

The hostel is about 15 minutes walk from the main port but that's great as you are away from the hustle and bustle and if you cannot be bothered to walk, you can hail a taxi for $1.

When I return to the Galapagos, I will definately be returning to Galapagos Best Home Stay

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was the nicest accommodation I had in South America out of ~15 hostels and budget hotels. It meets all my criteria for a very good or excellent hostel - comfortable bed, hot shower, free internet access. It is a fairly new hostel so everything is in good condition. It will probably take you 20 minutes to walk to the jetty or supermarket, 15 minutes to get to the restaurants in town - more or less depending on how quickly you walk - so the location is really good.

These are some of the things that I felt made it an exceptional hostel:
- Excellent instructions on how to get between the airport and the hostel.
- Included orientation tour of the town that shows you key locations and how to get back and forth. You also get a card to help you use the taxi services to get you home or to the centre of town so you will never get lost.
- Towels included and you can have them washed whenever (hotel quality service)
- Good kitchenette, with a fridge, included in each room (4 bed dorm)
- Unlimited drinking water available in each room (almost as good as drinkable tap-water)
- The toilet paper is real toilet paper and good, not your average public restroom kimberly-clark stuff
- Airconditioning - you may not need it, but sometimes you might and it is quiet and effective. New hostel = new system
- A nice view from the top floor
- Lockers with key provided (security is not an issue, but extra peace of mind doesn't hurt)

OK, the one downside is that the internet is pretty slow which is mainly due to the fact that you're the galapagos islands and shouldn't be on facebook anyway.

When I stayed here, the name of the place is what I got. I was in the Galapagos, it was the Best accommodation I experienced on this trip, it was also a family Home and I Stayed there. I highly recommend it.