“Great day trips with Scuba Iguana”
Review of Scuba Iguana

Scuba Iguana
Reviewed January 29, 2014

One of several dive shops based in Puerto Ayora on the island of Santa Cruz. Safety is their watchword - and an all round outstanding experience from two dives with the Scuba Iguana team. We dived at Bartolome and Cousins on the first day which was an hour and a half boat ride from the Itabaca Channel port - by the time we arrived our kit was all prepared and we were very well briefed on the dive plan. The quality of the kit was excellent and when my regulator had a small problem my guide Chike rebuilt it in seconds. Everyone who was doing a dive with them for the first time has to do a short safety dive involving regulator retrieval and mask clearance ensuring they are confident in your ability as the dives had strong currents and a LOT of sea life! We saw a huge profusion of underwater life at the dive site and through careful air management got to enjoy almost an hour of bottom time on both dives. There were some strong currents and we needed to hold onto the rocks below to enjoy the passage of turtles, eagle rays and reef sharks above and around us. Gordon Rocks was our next dive and we left this time directly from Puerto Ayora, we were actually picked up from our hotel specifically by the boat crew on their way past. Here we were hoping to see hammerhead sharks and we were not disappointed - over twenty of them congregating a few metres above us, not threatening but enticing. My pitiful efforts at underwater photography were not really necessary other than to prove to my self that I had actually seen the sharks as our guide Chike took the most fantastic sequence of stills and video that he prepared for us back at the dive shop. Unsurprisingly we bought both DVDs for $25 a time, an amazing memory of a great two days diving. I would recommend the Scuba Iguana shop for their professionalism, humour, great boat and fantastic dive guides. They even do a whole range of courses - the Galapagos would be a remarkable place to learn to dive or to top up your skills.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We did one dive trip with Scuba Iguana to Cousins/Bartholeme and it was perfect. I stayed on the boat while my husband went diving. Staff was very polite and nice. Dive tour (from what my husband said) was one of the best he has ever been on. Definitely worth the money.

1  Thank Angelica V
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I did 10 dives with Scuba Iguana while in Puerto Ayora, and they are one of the most professional, attentive, accommodating dive operations I have dived with (in 60 dives throughout 6 countries). The briefings are detailed and thorough, the equipment is new, the boats comfortable (with toilets and shade), the divemasters are attentive in the water and SUPER friendly (one lent my boyfriend his own, expensive mask when he had trouble finding a well fitting one, even for the days that divemaster wasn't with us), the dive sites and sealife are, naturally, AMAZING.

The only small thing I would recommend is, if you are diving more than one day but the days aren't consecutive, go to the dive shop the night before each diving day to check your equipment for the next day - as everything is used every day, it can get muddled, and if you are VERY picky about your fins and mask like I am, you might want to check you are getting the right ones :)

I have seen some poor reviews on this page, and can't help but think they are written by impostors!

On 8 of the 10 dives we did, my friend, who had previously only done the 5 dives needed for his OW cert, was with us and he was 100% ok - diving in the Galapagos is ideal for beginners and advanced divers alike. We went to one site, Gordon Rocks, which is not suitable for beginners, and Scuba Iguana refused to take beginners there. Simple as that.

I did not observe anything but complete respect for the wildlife and evironment, and we were encouraged to apply the same respect.

Thanks Scuba Iguana!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Was utterly surprised to see reviews that credited Scuba Iguana as anything other than very good. Our lodge contacted and made all the arrangements with Scuba Iguana, and everyone I spoke to also said this was he best dive service in town......and they did not disappoint.
I don't dive regularly and even so the DM (Sebastien) was attentive to my needs while ensuring the more experienced divers were able to maximise what they saw on their dives - I can not thank Sebastien enough.
WE went to Bartolome and Cousin, and saw a great array of sea life.......seahorses, rays, marine turtles, sea lions, and loads of different types of beautiful fishes. Was well worth the dive!

2  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time on the liveaboard the first week. But the rest was not good. our first dive was 35 min, with a good portion spent looking at endemic garden eels, then someone ran out of air and didnt want to buddy breath and so we all came up, him with 10 bar left. So an instructor we were diving with spoke with the DM about this. The guy did the same on the second dive. We again spent time looking at garden eels, only this time there was a ripping current, which was fine but was never brought up in the briefing. The guy went missing for a bit, then was found alive but he didnt want to buddy breath again, our dive was 45min. The DM Complained about cleaning all our gear although we already started cleaning. The next day all gear was placed with their gear, which was placed in different spots according to item, how annoying to find it all. Did i mention they didnt set up my tank for the dives? the cost is not worth such errors. Regardless, its not for inexperienced divers, unless your buddy is a great DM with lots of experience and you would put your life in his/her hands. DM cannot watch everyone, so when your mask and reg fly off in the ripping current, you have to stay calm and be able to think through the situation.

5  Thank lil085