“Scuba Iguana is average at best - very overrated!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Scuba Iguana
jnoodleman
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Scuba Iguana is average at best - very overrated!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Look - as a pure dive operator, I'd say they were fine. The guides were decent and the equipment was fine (except for the comical gloves they give you that are like children's mittens rather than actual diving gloves).

However, one of the biggest challenges of going to the Galapagos is planning your trip. In this respect, scuba iguana gets an F. They were completely unresponsive over email, did not reply to my questions, quoted me different prices, and when I finally made the payment online, not only did they not confirm my booking as I had requested, they told me I paid the wrong amount when I showed up to the shop.

During our visit, we never had information from them about where to go (for non-dive activities, they use 3rd party operators). Despite numerous requests, they didn't give us the information we needed about our activities. They also changed our dive sites at the last minute to Gordon Rocks, without a disclaimer that you need at least 30 dives (my girlfriend is a new diver and was very uncomfortable in the strong currents and was upset we hadn't been properly warned).

Again, purely as a dive shop they were ok (although would it kill them to serve a little fruit or croissants or any food in the morning? It's not easy to find breakfast on the island at 7am, and we didn't get lunch until 2pm). But as far as planning dives and other activities on the islands, they were terrible and I'd stay away.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank jnoodleman

Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“#bestdiveadventure #greatvideography #greatteam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This dive shop is a tight-run ship. There is clearly a protocol and their organizing strength and devotion to diving make this dive shop very special. Many of the divers are multi-lingual and very accommodating of your needs and well and you know..... your own dive agenda- all those things you've travelled so far to see and really hope to see. The team makes every effort to make your dive experience truly great and helps you to see as much as you wanted to see.

On one of my trips a new diver was quite nervous and had problems descending and had to cancel her first dive due to her irrational fears but by the second dive the dive team had gently coaxed her back in the water to do the second dive. Incredible patience was taken with her and great care (and even a hand to hold was extended to her by the dive master for the duration) and she was able to resume diving with her family on their once-in-a-lifetime trip. Amazing patience was rewarded with so much gratitude from them. I was very impressed to see this behavior especially given the numbers of people that they deal with each day as the most popular dive shop in town.

They were great videographers as well and I have the best dive photos of my entire diving life from them: sea lions, sharks, rays, turtles, rare fish, stars...amazing amazing amazing! Thanks Scuba Iguana and I hope to dive with you again in the near future!

Superfood Chef Michelle (the diver with bright pink hair)

Note to readers: Did this help? Please give the feedback to Trip Advisor with the "Helpful" vote and thanks for reading my review!

Bothwell, United Kingdom
“Diving trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My son and I went to the Galapagos for an adventure trip, diving, hiking, mountain biking, kyaking.
I contacted Claudia at Scuba Iquana, have never been there. I wanted to set up my own ajenda, with the help of Claudia she made it possible to have a great adventure. She pulled it all together and we had a great time. The diving trips was awesome, they have great dive masters and boats. I felt safe all the time. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a have a great vacation and experince.

Azusa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Dive Shop in the Galapagos... Hands Down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is the best dive shop on the island for sure. Mathias is one of the owners and could not be a nicer guy. Everyone that we worked with was very friendly. They stayed open a bit late for us to be able to try on all our gear before leaving on the dive the next day. The dives we did with them were outstanding. Hammerhead sharks all over!

Are there cheaper places to dive on the island? Yeah. But do you want to risk going with an unprofessional company when this might be your only trip to the islands. No way. Contact them before going down there. They will get you all registered and set up to dive.

I can't rate this dive company any higher. Very impressed.

Duarte, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent Scuba Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We liked this diving because they cared about what you saw underwater. We dove North Seymour and Mosqueda - saw some incredible sea life. Because what we were seeing was so good and the people on the boat wanted to stay in the one location, the captain and crew customized it to fit our needs. The crew was extremely helpful when it came to helping us put on our diving gear. They also provided a sandwich between dives and then a hot lunch after the last dive. I had not been scuba diving in about 4 years and so I was a bit apprehensive about diving again. This professional organization made it very easy and they made sure that we had a good time. Don't be fooled by the "cheaper" alternatives - you can find them but you get what you pay for. Somebody recommended Scuba Iguana to us and when we met Matias, the owner, he totally reassured us that his organization knew what it was doing.
My sister went with a cut-rate snorkel trip and they treated her group like it was cut-rate. Their guide was inexperienced and got out of the water well-before the group did. They also forgot to bring fins for the snorkelers. The food on their trip was pretty marginal also.