“professionals, but expensive”
Review of Scuba Iguana

Scuba Iguana
Reviewed May 19, 2013

they are professionals, the dives I had very good and i liked that one of the dive masters filmed the dives. on the downside it cost 25 USD to buy the fotos witch is a crazy price.

the dives costs 220 USD and last minute 160 USD

1  Thank dave303
There are newer reviews for Scuba Iguana

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I did a dive day with Scuba Iguana to Bartolome and Cousins. We hadn't been diving in over a year, and I had read that diving in the Galapagos can be difficult due to currents, so I was a little nervous about the whole thing. There were 2 options for the dive, but the more difficult site requires a minimum of 45 dives. I only have 10, so we went to the easier one.

The guides immediately put my mind at ease. They speak excellent English, they went over everything before we ever got in the water, and once you're in the water, the first thing they do is check that you can clear your mask and recover your mouthpiece. Safety is definitely a priority for them. I had also never done a backroll off the boat before, but I had no problems doing it.

The heavy equipment is usually a challenge for me, but the guides helped me strap everything on and get everything off again. I even got to stay in the water an extra 5 - 10 minutes because I use less air than most people. My husband went up with one of the other guys and the guide stayed down with me.

Scuba Iguana is pricier than a lot of the other dive shops in town. However, many of the shops in town are actually operating without the proper permits. Sometimes the boats go out and get caught, then you're out of your money and your diving experience. I would much rather be safe and know that my dive is actually going to happen, even if it means paying more.

I highly recommend buying the photo CD of your dive as well. It's only $25 for pictures and videos that the guide takes. The quality was really impressive. I am still kicking myself for not buying it.

If you get seasick easily, taking a Dramamine the night before and the morning of is imperative. I also wore a SeaBand. The boat is small and it goes fast over the waves. You will get jostled around. One of the guys on our boat spent the whole time throwing up over the side and didn't even get to dive.

I booked the dive online 2 months in advance. You will need to check in at the dive shop the day before to fill out paperwork and try on your gear. Check the hours because they are closed during the middle of the day for a few hours. The shop is conveniently located by the Darwin Research Center, an easy walk from the main strip in town or any of the hostels.

The only reason I'm not giving Scuba Iguana 5 stars is because we didn't see any hammer heads. They're not usually at the sites we went to, but that would have made the experience truly amazing. We did see reef sharks, sea turtles, and sea lions.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We dived and snorkelled with Scuba Iguana for three days. Immediately we were struck with their professional operation and safety consciousness. Each dive was prefaced with a weight check and skills check for those who were novice divers. It is testament to them that their instructors are naturalists who insist on not touching anything during the dive, respecting the animals, and focusing on safety. We had Paolo as our guide and he was a gem! They all speak english very well and are approachable and friendly. Being on the ocean and seeing other operator's boats.. I was very glad we has chosen Scuba Iguana. Their boats and equipment are top notch. Also, you have the option of purchasing the video and photos of the dive afterwards which is a nice bonus because we take crap photos :) Their shop has their own dock so no need to go back and forth, also, it is a 5 minute walk from the main part of Charles Darwin Ave. And, as vegetarians, we were glad to see they provided yummy vegetarian snacks and lunches!

To top it all off... HAMMERHEADS!!! What spectacular dives!!! Gordon Rocks shared schools of hammerheads, turtles, sea lions, fur seals and black tip reef sharks. Cousins Rock had schools of rays, sea lions, turtles, white tip reef sharks and more.

Congratulations guys, what a lovely team, and what a professional operation. Best wishes for the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Scuba iguana do absolutely everything for you...you don't even have to out your own fins on!! The crew are excellent and ensure that everyone dives safely. There are snacks on board in between dives and lunch is included. We decided to hire the gear to save on the luggage issues with the airlines. The gear was in good shape and they even provided gloves for hanging onto rocks! The dive guides ensure you see as much marine life as possible and will also take photos and video...there is no hard sell but the quality is good and it makes a great memento. Definitely recommend them!

1  Thank short_scuba_diver
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We (my teenage daughter and myself) spent three days diving with Scuba Iguana in March 2013 and had the best time ever! Having read how Galapagos diving is not for beginners and it is all drift diving I was a little uneasy leading up to the first dive. (Most of my diving experience has been in the Caribbean and not subject to the currents that are found in the Galapagos). But Scuba Iguana put that unease to rest immediately. They explained how each dive would go and went over all safety issues ahead of time. They also required a check out dive for all divers which I really liked.
The guides and boat captain were very entertaining and just a lot of fun. That was important to us since we would be with them on a boat all day. They would ask what you hoped to see and did their best to make that happen. Each group had no more than four divers per guide, no more than eight on the boat, and you would take off separately so not to clump together and scare any sea life away. My daughter really wanted to see hammerheads but had not spotted any before our last dive of the trip. Well the guide was not to be outdone. He took her and another diver on a mission to try and find hammerheads. And guess what - they did! Mission accomplished! The huge grin on her face when she got back on the boat said it all. The guide was just as thrilled to make her dive experience complete as it was for her to find them! Thank you Quike!!!!
Scuba Iguana also provides a snack after the first dive and lunch after the second dive. Very tasty and much appreciated by the end of the second dive. The boat was covered and had a dry area and of course a bathroom, which was very clean considering you were on a boat!

I definitely recommend Scuba Iguana when planning a dive trip to the Galapagos. They provide a very safe experience and go out of their way to make sure you have a great time. They did not simply take you to a dive site, guide the dive and return. They made a point to get to know everyone on the boat and visited with all of us throughout the day as we made our way to the dive sites and back. They helped with dive gear and getting in and out of wetsuits. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a wonderful time. The diving sites were perfect for my ability; the sea life is amazing and something I will never forget. We bought DVD's from each day's dives and have shown them to family and friends.

2  Thank 904LB904