“Excellent dives, crew, divemaster, and service”

Academy Bay Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Dive center is located right across the road from the Navy base and the main passenger pier in Puerto Ayora. If you still can't find us, look out for a bright pink lolly shop next door!
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Total responsiveness and professionalism from Alice in the office. She took care of booking my dives, arranging equipment, and booked my hotel. While in Puerto Ayora she continued the high level of service and attentiveness.
The boat is adequate, but the professional staff is outstanding. They make the smaller size boat work with ease, and are very organized. All dive briefings were done on a greaseboard detailing out the currents, rocks, formations, potential hazards, etc. Also included warnings for water temperature(sometimes very cold(below 20 degrees Celsius)). Dive guides paid attention to divers ensuring not only safety, but pointed out all "activity" possible including white tip, hammerhead, galapagos sharks, turtles, sea lions, eels, all varieties of rays(including king manta), and a pilot whale with calf sighting from the boat. The food on the boat was adequate, and should not deter one from going with this group.

I only used their 5mm wetsuit, but others used their rental BCDs and regs which we top quality.

We did Floreana, Gordon Rocks(fav), Daphne, and Mosquera over 3 days.

I dived with another center in town and they weren't 60% as good as Academy Bay in any area.

I highly recommend Academy Bay for your scuba diving in Puerto Ayora

3  Thank Bing H
divingalapagos, Owner at Academy Bay Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2015

Thank you for your comments Bing. It is always nice to hear that the hard work is paying off and our customers enjoy their time with us. Galapagos is a once in a lifetime place for many so we try and make it special. We are planning a new and bugger boat for the end of 2015 though so you might have to come back to see it!

All reviews
"galapagos sharks"
in 10 reviews
"diving days"

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

We did a day trip with Academy Divers, and it was wonderful. The staff at the office were very nice, equipment was fairly new and in great shape, and the dive instructors spoke great English and were very knowledgable. Read up on dive sites before booking, as many if the sites have very strong currents and may no be suitable for inexperienced divers (the office will obviously say it is fine and not a problem). Overall highly recommended!

1  Thank Edden R
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Right from my first email correspondence to after my dives with Academy I found them professional, knowledgeable, friendly, helpful. Alice answered all my email queries promptly and it certainly helped her speaking fluent english. I was lucky that their diving schedule fitted in with what I wanted to do. Their wets suits were new, the BCDs and regulators were in excellent condition. The boat was clean and well maintained. The crew helpful with the gear and getting you ready to dive. Oscar our dive master spoke good english and his dive briefing was professional, thorough and he went through all the dive signals, site and dive specifics. Plus he was a nice person! Added bonus small groups max 4 per dive master. All in all one of the best dive experiences I have had, I felt very safe and I saw lots.

1  Thank Vickit45
Reviewed August 18, 2014

my wife and i did our padi open water with this crowd. Their office set up is so-so, the main staff there could be a bit friendlier / more professional, however our guide Chris was great, really professional and really went the extra mile, the other divers with us seemed to all have a good time too. And the dives were just amazing, some of the best experiences in my life, got close to most of the local shark species, turtles, rays as well as the usual smaller species. Great visibility, we dived the red sea before which was great but gallapagos is just so much more exiting with all the large see animals you can see. Will definitely use them again if we return. The boat and equipment was quite good, no complaints, much better than Colombia - if you are travelling south America and want to dive this is the place to do it, no question.

2  Thank Will_K2010